Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2018, 02:56 PM

68 posts, read 65,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midland803 View Post
Boom!
Will definitely be a big deal if/when it is officially announced. Sorry if I stole your thunder, I just had to do some digging after that teaser you dropped. Haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 03:02 PM

68 posts, read 65,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I hope all this growth continues up North Main.. There isn't much property or vacancy left downtown (on Main) and South Main is/will be off limits unless USC has something to do with it...There is a lot of vacant land on North Main starting at Elmwood Ave. There has been some rehab and infill of older buildings but I think North Main need some new construction that includes residential in a three or four story structure to anchor it with ground floor retail.. The Jim Moore site would be ideal for this because its still very close to downtown.. but near the heart of NOMA or whatever its being called. I like that things are happening downtown.. but I don't think it needs to get over done.. so hopefully it will spread
As someone who lives very nearby, I am very anxious for something to happen on that Jim Moore site. Especially considering the mini-boom Cottontown is currently having, that lot is prime real estate for a small mixed-use development. I’m still holding out hope that work will get started soon on Niemi’s Cottontown Social/NoMa Revival or whatever it is is going to be called. That place is going to make a major impact on this area if it ever comes to fruition.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:32 PM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It would be better if downtown development expanded outward (eastward and westward) from Main as opposed to linearly; downtown is much more than just the Main Street corridor and there's still a ton of opportunities for infill in the CBD along Sumter, Marion, Taylor, Blanding, etc. Other streets should have just as much activity as Main Street and Columbia's downtown footprint is certainly large enough to be fleshed out in such a fashion.

Yeah.. I guess I look at North Main as a deteriorated commercial corridor so it would be nice to revitalize it back into what it once was.. When I look at downtown, not including the Vista.. It seems to exist in a high density and retail form between Assembly and Sumter St being the boundaries.. Once you cross Sumter going east the fabric changes dramatically especially by the time you get to Marion St..There it transitions into an area historic homes/structures that have been converted into offices... There may even be a historic district in this area that may make redevelopment problematic in some forms..There are development opportunities for sure along Sumter Street especially on the westside between Gervais and Elmwood. Several surface lots that could round out Main St nicely if infilled

Old 05-17-2018, 04:30 PM

757 posts, read 569,000 times
Quote:
Yeah.. I guess I look at North Main as a deteriorated commercial corridor so it would be nice to revitalize it back into what it once was.. When I look at downtown, not including the Vista.. It seems to exist in a high density and retail form between Assembly and Sumter St being the boundaries.. Once you cross Sumter going east the fabric changes dramatically especially by the time you get to Marion St..There it transitions into an area historic homes/structures that have been converted into offices... There may even be a historic district in this area that may make redevelopment problematic in some forms..There are development opportunities for sure along Sumter Street especially on the westside between Gervais and Elmwood. Several surface lots that could round out Main St nicely if infilled
Marion reminds me a bit of Fourth Ward in Charlotte. That area could handle something like J. Alexander's, which is in a converted Victorian style home.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:52 PM

1,124 posts, read 927,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayinJG View Post
Will definitely be a big deal if/when it is officially announced. Sorry if I stole your thunder, I just had to do some digging after that teaser you dropped. Haha
https://colatoday.6amcity.com/halls-...e-coming-cola/

Old 05-17-2018, 06:02 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
The second option please.
Well that's what we're seeing, specifically with midrises. Land prices are too high for lowrise development to predominate within the urban core.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:17 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
It's known as the Robert Mills Historic District, the Landmark District, and Columbia Historic District II:

https://www.historiccolumbia.org/eve...-district-east
https://www.columbiasc.net/planning-...icts/landmark/
SCDAH
http://historicrichlandcountysc.com/...s=HistDistrict

I think some concessions could be made for certain blocks where new construction wouldn't threaten historic properties. Even so, there are enough vacant lots and buildings that can be razed for new, higher-use development within the bounds of the CBD, and within the Vista as well, to fully flesh out the CBD.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 05-17-2018 at 06:28 PM..

Old 05-17-2018, 06:30 PM

258 posts, read 468,564 times
Halls Chophouse buys Oak Table in Columbia Halls Chophouse buys Oak Table in Columbia | The State

Old 05-17-2018, 07:56 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,571,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
But what will become of the Oak Table? Are they moving? Or just gone. I miss Rise Bakeshop and the cafe in the library is not a food enough replacement. I don’t want it to suffer the same fate.
It's being turned into a Hall's Chophouse.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:19 PM

1,124 posts, read 927,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
It's being turned into a Hall's Chophouse.
It’s just sad to see the Oak Table gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area