Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 06:40 AM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
The structure of a weak governor.. strong legislature .. was original described in John Lockes South Carolina constitutions... in 1786 and 1788..as a reaction to the tyrannical colonial govenors. and while the constitution has been amended several times .. that structurein that regard has never been changed. I doubt that Locke ever considered that blacks , Indians, women and illiterates would ever be given the right to vote..... temper of those times.
SC and other Southern states significantly weakened the executive office of governor in the wake of Reconstruction; this is a fact, and it was a backlash against Black folks' exercise of their new political powers. SC's 1895 constitution was enacted under Benjamin Tillman and it enshrined the oppression of Black people into state law. Constitution of 1895 stripped blacks, poor whites of vote, still rules SC 120 years later | The State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I was in Columbia Thursday for the first time in months. I haven't been to the Upstate recently, but there is no question that Columbia is moving at an obviously slow pace compared to Charleston in terms of cranes on the skyline and developments on the drawing board. That is just the way it is.
Well duh, Charleston is currently the 12th fastest-growing metro area in the entire country right now so of course there will be more development down there. Columbia's development pace is above average, keeping in pace with its above average growth rate. It also should be recognized that Columbia has had just as much redevelopment of existing properties in recent years than new development, if not more. If really you want places with an "obviously slow pace," then you need to check out places like Augusta and Fayetteville.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:29 AM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
Comparisons are interesting.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:25 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Is downtown Columbia’s renaissance waning?

Columbia hotel, student housing, retail projects altered | The State

Oh here we go

The State Newspaper cant resist an attempt to uncover doom and gloom.. There is a demand limit for everything.. Once you satisfy the demand then you have to wait for the demand to increase again or scale back.. This is no more than a normal course correction.. I would rather have projects not start at all than start and sit vacant.. THAT would send a negative message to other developers/investors. As much as I like the idea of CC (minus the major public investment) it too has saturated the market with "potential" development thus causing downtown/Vista to indirectly compete with it.

On a related note.. a little birdie told me that the County is considering buying the old Jim Moore dealership on North Main for a New County Courthouse.. which would allow them to close/redevelop their current location on Main Street downtown... If true.. I wonder how that would improve or take away from what is currently happening in NOMA

Old 09-18-2017, 01:50 PM

757 posts, read 569,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
The State Newspaper cant resist an attempt to uncover doom and gloom.. There is a demand limit for everything.. Once you satisfy the demand then you have to wait for the demand to increase again or scale back.. This is no more than a normal course correction.. I would rather have projects not start at all than start and sit vacant.. THAT would send a negative message to other developers/investors. As much as I like the idea of CC (minus the major public investment) it too has saturated the market with "potential" development thus causing downtown/Vista to indirectly compete with it.

On a related note.. a little birdie told me that the County is considering buying the old Jim Moore dealership on North Main for a New County Courthouse.. which would allow them to close/redevelop their current location on Main Street downtown... If true.. I wonder how that would improve or take away from what is currently happening in NOMA
Undoubtedly improve in my opinion. Courthouses, while only in use during business hours, bring plenty of employees and foot traffic. They do not always draw the most desirable crowd for a retail perspective, but county courthouses have plenty of non-violent civil and misdemeanor cases. More than anything, it would signal that the area is prime for development. Government offices often have that impact over a longer timeframe (i.e. 10-20 years).

Old 09-18-2017, 04:10 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,571,107 times
Quote:

It could only help because it would bring more people to NoMa on a daily basis and remove an eyesore.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:24 PM

611 posts, read 921,509 times
Quote:

I hope not. The current county courthouse has not exactly contributed much to the surrounding area on Main St. The development in that area is in spite of the courthouse, not fueled by it.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:11 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,330,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well duh, Charleston is currently the 12th fastest-growing metro area in the entire country right now so of course there will be more development down there. Columbia's development pace is above average, keeping in pace with its above average growth rate. It also should be recognized that Columbia has had just as much redevelopment of existing properties in recent years than new development, if not more. If really you want places with an "obviously slow pace," then you need to check out places like Augusta and Fayetteville.
Currently 5 cranes in downtown Greenville, so it's doing it's thing.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:29 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,571,107 times
If anyone things development is slow in Columbia, check out the 1600 block of Main Street.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
If anyone things development is slow in Columbia, check out the 1600 block of Main Street.
Taking a longer view, over the past 2-3 years, I'd say development in Columbia has been anything but slow. Just because a few bigger projects have recently gotten scaled back or broken into phases certainly doesn't negate that fact. You also have to consider the specific circumstances surrounding the projects that have gotten scaled back or delayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area