Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:01 PM

69 posts, read 217,868 times

Advertisements

After 9 long months, my husband finally got a job offer that could very well take us to the Columbia area. My husband grew up in Chapin...that's where my mother-in-law lives, in fact. Though I'm not real crazy, I must admit, about living close to her, my husband thinks we should look at houses in Chapin. Just seems so far from restaurants and shopping. We'll be coming from the suburbs of Atlanta. We have a daughter who's in high school (freshman), so I was wondering what the schools are like in Chapin? My MIL just raves about them. Are there other good schools in that general area...not too big, preferably. My daughter currently attends a school with 3,500 students. Any insight you can offer me as to good areas to move would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 02:02 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,029,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxie64 View Post
After 9 long months, my husband finally got a job offer that could very well take us to the Columbia area. My husband grew up in Chapin...that's where my mother-in-law lives, in fact. Though I'm not real crazy, I must admit, about living close to her, my husband thinks we should look at houses in Chapin. Just seems so far from restaurants and shopping. We'll be coming from the suburbs of Atlanta. We have a daughter who's in high school (freshman), so I was wondering what the schools are like in Chapin? My MIL just raves about them. Are there other good schools in that general area...not too big, preferably. My daughter currently attends a school with 3,500 students. Any insight you can offer me as to good areas to move would be much appreciated.
we've lived in the Chapin area for 3 yrs since our relocate south. The 'Chapin' area can cover a lot of options, heading towards Ballentine as well as various spots on and near the lake (meaning one doesnt have to live in Chapin proper to fall in that school district). From what we've been told the district overall is rated high and Chapin HS is a good one.
I wouldnt say it's far from eating or shopping. We live on the lake between Chapin and Ballentine and can hit any grocery store we need to within 15 mins including a WM supercenter, Publix, Food Lion. We are 15+ mins to the larger mall area as well; with plenty of eating locations from here to there to enjoy. Maybe 30+ mins into Columbia itself.
Long time locals can perhaps give more specific school info as we're empty nesters here, and it also may depend on where your husband would be working as far as best place to live. But we have been very happy in this area.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:02 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,266,658 times
Don't sweat it doxie, you will probably love the Columbia area. We moved here several years back from the Atlanta area and have not looked back. Chapin is a nice area with more of a small town feel. It has it's share of restaurants, just not a lot of the chains that you are used to. But if you are looking for OliveGarden/Outback/Romano's/Carrabbas/etc they are available close by in the Harbinson area. And don't worry about shopping, you have tons of choices within easy driving distance.

One thing you will love about the area is the traffic, or lack there of. With the exception of a couple of areas that get jammed up at rush hour (and it is a true rush hour, not like ATLs 3 hour ordeal) traffic flows smoothly. I recall when we lived in Atlanta and had a dentist appointment at a place that was 15 minutes away we left 30 minutes early just in case. Around here you can leave right on time.

Look around at schools. There are some excellent choices as well as some not so good ones. I am not familiar with Chapin schools at all but there are a couple of posters on here that have shared good information in the past and hopefully they will chime in.

One thing you will notice quickly is how friendly the people are. The cashier at the grocery store will actually thank you for your business and people will let you over in traffic. You will see more smiles in one day than you are used to seeing in a week.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:54 PM

Thank you both so much for the information on Chapin. I know it's a good area, as it's where my MIL and BIL live. I think I am more concerned about the schools than anything else. Are there any new homes in the area that we might consider? I don't think houses with basements are very prevalent, but sure would love a FROG.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:46 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,277,282 times
In terms of schools, I didn't go to Chapin High School, but out of the schools in the area its one of the smaller ones enrollment wise. A high school closeby to the Irmo/Ballentine area is Dutch Fork high school where I attended... A pretty big school as far as enrollment goes and they stress academics to no end- it really helped prepare me for college a lot better than my previous high school I went to (which was up in Greenville, SC). But I've also heard a lot of good things about Chapin high school also and with it being a bit smaller, could promote a better teacher to student ratio.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:41 PM

730 posts, read 1,402,894 times
Chapin High has about 1300 students. Dutch Fork High and Irmo High both hover around 2000-2500 students. There is a new high school opening in District 5 in 2013 in the White Rock area. It will open with 900 students, taking from DFHS and Chapin.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:08 AM

Where exactly is White Rock located?

Old 02-19-2012, 11:17 AM

730 posts, read 1,402,894 times
White Rock is between Chapin and Ballentine, headed back towards what people call Dutch Fork, between Hwy. 76 and I-26. The new high school will be on Mt. Vernon Church Road.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:14 AM

10,967 posts, read 21,998,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
Chapin High has about 1300 students. Dutch Fork High and Irmo High both hover around 2000-2500 students. There is a new high school opening in District 5 in 2013 in the White Rock area. It will open with 900 students, taking from DFHS and Chapin.
Correct and they are considered to be some of the best schools in the state.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:53 PM

Any idea when the new high school in White Rock will open?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area