Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 02:40 PM

30 posts, read 123,142 times

Advertisements

Hi all it's been a while since I've posted so hello to all

I'm here in sunny SC. That being said I desparately need some information regarding where now do we get our permanent home?

I have a home. However, builder leaves much to be desired. I've had everything from no insullation in walls (and yes I mean the entire length of an outside wall) to you name it! They sell you a house and they're gone! I'm squeeking so the much needed work is getting done slowly and I mean slowly.

Is there anywhere houses are built with the proper inspections and they actually follow building codes, people with some basic pride in their work? Are there homes that have substance and quality? Please don't misunderstand I mean no insult to anyone. This has been my experience thus far and it has been just exhausting and terrible.

We're looking for good schools, quality homes that won't go down if a baby tree hits the corner of it (like I saw on news sometime back in a different subdivision-Two walls actually came right down on their home from a baby tree) wow.

-Quality schools (not the ones that only care about their test scores but actually care about the kids and their learning. where kids are allowed to be kids)
-Quality home with some decent property (not .30 of an acre-a bit larger and level)
-Price range 200-300k
-Basement--->where are the basements? I know they exist in one subdivision.
-Is there anywhere there aren't the HOA people (OMG I have heard some major major issues with these types of sub divisions).

Anyone have any imput? Lexington or Chapin? Sturdier solid homes? Good schools? Good people? Basements?

Thank you for any imput its so appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 10:55 PM

10,963 posts, read 21,978,734 times
Working backwards on those...

Basements are very rare because our water table is so high we'd have mold/moisture issues. What you can find on a sloped lot sometimes is a walkout basement, which are really awesome. In that price range you can find one. Rolling Creek pops to mind. You may have to pick between a level lot and a basement. Perhaps a bonus room over the garage could substitute for the basement?

Schools in Chapin and Lexington are pretty similar. The biggest difference you'll see it size, in that Chapin has ~1400 kids and Lex & White Knoll has around ~2200 I think.

There are many quality homes in both areas. The state inspectors can miss things during the build process and some things can be difficult to catch. Inspections are always encouraged (resale and new construction) and our resale contract allows a voidance/negotiation period. Most builder contracts are builder friendly rather than buyer friendly. Get a good buyers agent and they'll take care of you. The buyer agent is typically paid by the listing company or builder, the home inspection will cost you ~$275.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:20 PM

50 posts, read 96,331 times
Lexington...

Old 03-19-2010, 09:22 AM

435 posts, read 1,530,120 times
You may also want to try the Gilbert area. It's still in the the highly regarded Lexington 1 school district, but is more rural and less suburban than established Lexington areas and the emergeing Red Bank/White Knoll areas south of it. You're probably more likely to find a good lot with your parameters at your price point.

I agree with Brandon - basements are extremely rare in the Midlands. The only basements I've seen are also walk-out ones on sloped lots, which of course means it won't be level as you desire. If it's storage space you're looking for, he's probably right about looking at homes with a bonus room/FROG. Some homes also may have a finshed 3rd floor/attic. If it's living/entertaining space (e.g., a game/entertainment/media room) you're looking for, then a walk-out basement may be better. Sometimes homes have nice finished sun rooms that can act as a second or third living/entertaining space if there's no basement.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,070 times
Default HELP!! relocating and know nothing....yet

I need major help, i am relocating and going to be in columbia at palmetto health Richland working, but want my daughter to go to lexington or Chapin hs. I think. anyone have any input regarding these schools as they compare to say Spring Valley or Ridgeview? We are coming from Boston. I also need help on finding a townhome or similar to lease for now. I dont want to drive tons, but it depends on the schol right now. any help is monumentally appreciated!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 AM

435 posts, read 1,530,120 times
Default Need to undertand more of your priorities/reasons for Lexington & Chapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm516 View Post
I need major help, i am relocating and going to be in columbia at palmetto health Richland working, but want my daughter to go to lexington or Chapin hs. I think. anyone have any input regarding these schools as they compare to say Spring Valley or Ridgeview? We are coming from Boston. I also need help on finding a townhome or similar to lease for now. I dont want to drive tons, but it depends on the schol right now. any help is monumentally appreciated!
All of the high schools you list are good. Neighborhoods zoned for Spring Valley and Ridgeview will almost certainly be closer to Palmetto Richland Hospital than Lexington or Chapin.

The commute from Lexington and Chapin will likely be longer. I-26 Eastbound into Columbia from Chapin will be particularly congested, and Lexington probably won't be much different (typically using I-20 Eastbound depending on where in the Lexington area you are).

In my personal opinion, it is not worth it to go to Lexington or Chapin if you are working at Palmetto Richland. However, you might have specific personal reasons or priorities to choose those areas over Northeast Richland County (where Spring Valley and Ridgeview are). Although all of the schools mentioned are good, each has it's uniqueness and "personality". It would help us if you could discuss your preferences and priorities. What specifically are you looking for in a school for your daughter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area