Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:24 PM

730 posts, read 1,404,102 times

Advertisements

It is scheduled to open for the 2013-2014 school year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 02:26 PM

730 posts, read 1,404,102 times
If you're interested in new schools, River Bluff HS opens in Lexington (Lexington District 1) in 2013 and Westwood HS opens in Blythewood (Richland District 2) this August.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:31 PM

119 posts, read 263,940 times
According to rankings(take it for what it's worth), Dutch Fork High School is by far the best.
Dutch Fork High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cracking top 100 in the nation including private schools is very impressive.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:29 PM

26 posts, read 135,229 times
Default relocating from Connecticut

We are relocating from Connecticut, I have been reading some negative comments about the area on the Sperlings Best Places site. Basically, it says that "yankees" are not welcome and that people in the area are stuck in the 1960's. Is there anyone who has relocated from the North who can share their experiences with me? I am a very social person and would not be too happy if I found out that people were not friendly. I am also a zumba instructor so I would love to find out if they have studios in the area where I could teach. Thanks!!

Old 03-25-2012, 04:25 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,038,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctnewbie View Post
We are relocating from Connecticut, I have been reading some negative comments about the area on the Sperlings Best Places site. Basically, it says that "yankees" are not welcome and that people in the area are stuck in the 1960's. Is there anyone who has relocated from the North who can share their experiences with me? I am a very social person and would not be too happy if I found out that people were not friendly. I am also a zumba instructor so I would love to find out if they have studios in the area where I could teach. Thanks!!
well i'm too young to have been in the war so dont consider myself a Yankee lol, but after 45+ years in Wi we moved to Chapin area 3 years ago. We have been more then welcomed in the area we first rented (to make sure this was the right community before buying) and in the 'hood we now live. Near all we have come across has been more then friendly towards us, i'd say in general moreso then back home. There are differences of course, but i'd bet there are things not the same between WI and CT as well. I'd think that most neighborhoods have their own get-togethers/functions and as you'll see there are plenty of activities to do in SC year round also.
One thing we did when first moving in, was not to walk around complaining we couldn't get a brat like back home, cheese curds like back home... i think you get the idea. We embrace the things that are new to us; to give us some of the changes we looked for in our relocation. And we dont complain about the differences.
You likely will find more interest here then the north in church, but i'd add strength in political views these days can be the same regardless of what state you call home. There are things you will view as positives and some as negatives; one just needs to make the best out any situation and in turn it should be rewarded.
Lastly, living on a lake here means that in the dead of winter, you can still take your boat out and maybe just wear a sweatshirt.. No driving on ice and drilling a hole to go fishing.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:30 PM

12,966 posts, read 18,821,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctnewbie View Post
There are zumba classes here.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:53 PM

26 posts, read 135,229 times
Thanks much! We actually lived in chicago for a couple of years and absolutely loved the mid-west. Like you, we tend to love new adventures and are looking forward to forming new friendships.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:19 PM

6 posts, read 8,038 times
We will be considering a move to the West Columbia area possibly near Chapin. I am an avid target shooter an Turkey Hunter
are their any restrictions on shooting on your own land besides safety regulations? Is their quality Turkey hunting nearby?

Thanks

Old 10-24-2012, 04:29 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,038,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Brahin View Post
We will be considering a move to the West Columbia area possibly near Chapin. I am an avid target shooter an Turkey Hunter
are their any restrictions on shooting on your own land besides safety regulations? Is their quality Turkey hunting nearby?

Thanks

that's a good question, ive only been down here just under 4 years but to be honest have yet to see a turkey in the area. Back in Wi, i'd see them with some regularity and that wasnt just from the tree stand but while driving around as well as well. Of course corn fields, etc were far more common up there which may have something to do with it; my guess is the population # isnt as high here but of course could be wrong.

Not sure how many hunters you may find on this forum, you could also try the SC DNR site for general info, plus even area stores such as Sportsman Warehouse or perhaps SC themed hunting/outdoors sites like the link below may have more details for you:
South Carolina Sportsman Hunting News, Guides, Land, Leases, Regulations - South Carolina Sportsman

good luck!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:36 PM

6 posts, read 10,124 times
The new school is actually opening up this fall. It is called Springhill HS. It is a magent high school and for it's first year only accepting 500 students total comprising of 9th and 10th grade. My daughter has applied and has an interview tomorrow as you must be accepted into the school to attend.

We live in Milford Park which is in Ballentine/Irmo border and have been here for seven years. We enjoy living here and find most people friendly. Most of the population is in there 30-40's with children.

I am a Realtor here in the area and would be more than willing to help you with any of your relocation questions. I can also send you links to new neighborhoods or specific information for homes that meet your requirements for the area. Feel free to contact me anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area