Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 03:13 PM

18,040 posts, read 27,497,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Rest assured, if you want Pueblo to be COMPLETELY ignored on this forum, the best way to achieve that would be giving it its own forum. So maybe in a sense it is a good idea.
Well there ya go. You would be able to go to the Colorado or other forums and never even see the Pueblo stuff if you didn't want to. And I wouldn't have to sort through a bunch of Denver Metro garbage which is still polluting the Colorado subforums to get to my Pueblo stuff.

Proleadership; don't take stuff so personal. So you have Dyslexia and we understand that now. You don't have to get all hurt bunny if someone dogs your spelling now and again. Us non-dyslexic people have to get clipped once in a while too. It's not the end of the world. At least you can function and contribute to society very well. My brother who's a paranoid schitzophrenic doesn't have the first clue what a computer can do. He smokes a cigarette every 8 minutes and paces the floor constantly. There are much worse ailments out there and we should be grateful we can communicate as good as we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 03:15 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,481,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
There are a lot of blunt opinions here, which is why this is one of the better threads going in the Colorado forum. Here goes with mine.

This area was in a world of hurt around Spring or so of 1984. When CFI all but mothballed operations there, unemployment shot up to over 10% and stayed there for a long time. It always irritated me when I would hear left handed remarks about Pueblo and its unsightly steel mills and the coal plant east of town. This area had big problems. So the honchos rolled up their sleeves and went to work.

That's what blue collar people do, roll up their sleeves and go to work. Does Pueblo have problems? Yes. Do the powers to be know it? Yes. Like many cities of that size, they have problems with crime, schools, gangs, bringing industry to the area, etc.

I worked over two dozen years in power plant, commercial, and pipeline construction. On a pipeline job that started 40 miles southwest of Pueblo and went down deep into southeastern New Mexico. I got to know a lot of the union laborers out of the Pueblo local. A lot of them I befriended have passed on, but I still stay in contact with a couple of them 27 years after I met them. They are a couple of the most down to earth, honest people I know.

Unlike other front range cities, they don't get involved with uncontrollable, stupid growth. For all its faults, IMO it has more pluses than minuses. If I had to move back to the front range, hanging my hat in Pueblo would be fine by me.
Thank you for your comments about Pueblo! Pueblo has not only had to overcome the economy over the years but the negative attitudes some in the state have had but we have done it!

BTW I was wondering since you are in the energy business if you have heard anything about the Proposed Colorado Energy park and what your thoughts are on it?

Old 02-22-2009, 04:10 PM

18,229 posts, read 25,887,766 times
Will pm you on it.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:27 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,720,501 times
While Pueblo might not have the Flatirons effect that is so popular (and which only Boulder has, really), the actual drive into the high beautiful parts of the mountains from Pueblo is actually shorter than the drive from Colorado Springs into the high beautiful part of the mountains. My opinion, to be sure, but I did live in Colorado Springs and it is NOT convenient to many mountain activities, such as skiing. The river gives Pueblo the access that C Spgs does not have.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
While Pueblo might not have the Flatirons effect that is so popular (and which only Boulder has, really), the actual drive into the high beautiful parts of the mountains from Pueblo is actually shorter than the drive from Colorado Springs into the high beautiful part of the mountains. My opinion, to be sure, but I did live in Colorado Springs and it is NOT convenient to many mountain activities, such as skiing. The river gives Pueblo the access that C Spgs does not have.
That is a good point I never really considered that....

At one time my goal was to get a cabin in Summit County, I even looked at land up there especially by Heeney. Then I thought about it and what made summit county in my opinion was the growth of Denver and how they went there to ski and bought cabins. As the front range continues to grow do I really want to travel up there to ski? Also, with the growth Pueblo is having that will mean Monarch will grow as well as Salida so now I am looking into getting a cabin there while its "cheap" and the value of my house can grow with the area and its a easy drive from Pueblo, especially if they widen highway 50....

Does Colorado Springs really have a ski resort they can call their own? They either have to drive up to I-70 or down to highway 50.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:58 PM

Default U.S. Highway 50

Also, Colorado wants to make highway 50 a major free way from Pueblo to the Kansas State line. Here are some facts about highway 50:

Corridor Facts
  • US 50 is a 3,200 mile transcontinental highway reaching westward from Ocean City, Maryland to San Francisco, California.
  • From coast to coast, US 50 passes through a dozen states, four state capitols and the nation's capitol.
  • Time magazine has dubbed US 50 coast to coast "The Backbone of America".
  • The length of US 50 between Pueblo and the Kansas state line is 150 miles. This stretch of US 50 passes through southeastern Colorado's Pueblo, Otero, Bent, and Prowers counties.
Overview of the project:

The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) are working in partnership with government agencies, communities and the general public in the development and analysis of proposed improvements to US 50. FHWA and CDOT will prepare a Tier 1 Environmental Impact Statement (Tier 1 EIS) for transportation improvements on US 50 between Pueblo and the vicinity of the Kansas State line in southeastern Colorado. This environmental study, known as the US 50 Corridor East project, will build on the 2003 CDOT corridor planning study. This planning study culminated in a community-developed vision for the corridor that called for a safer roadway, on or near the existing US 50 that maintains a reasonable traffic flow and speed for the movement of people and goods along and through the Lower Arkansas Valley while providing flexibility to accommodate future transportation needs.

The link to the web page: http://www.dot.state.co.us/US50e/proj_overview.cfm

Old 02-22-2009, 05:05 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,412,682 times
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the posts about Pueblo. Because of these post I have been reading much about this city and what I have seen of Pueblo, I like what it is now and the potential. I would not like it to turn into another large metroplex. There are places in the world for small, well run and well maintained cities, towns, and villages. That is what Pueblo should achieve and the more I have read about the city,I think that they have some sense of what is important. Their websites, compared to most cities, are outstanding with much information, nicely presented. Look at this website for information Pueblo, CO and this website for the city City of Pueblo, Colorado - City of Excellence very nicely done. Look at this link within the city's website A View of PUEBLO

I know that the crime statistics give a bad image of Pueblo but from my point of view crime can be reduced and changed. If crime can be reduced in New York City and it has tremendously, with neighborhoods that were much worse than Pueblo has now, Pueblo can easily overcome this challenge. Crime can be changed but climate cannot and Pueblo has a great climate and location.

I think this climate should be more aggressively marketed so that this area of Colorado will be more known as a mecca for retirees, just like areas in Arizona and New Mexico. As a senior I am now starting to realize the effects of seniors have on a region. They bring in a clean industry with many dollars from their retirements and pensions, which were earned elsewhere. They bring in federal monies from Social Security, VA pensions, military pensions etc. Those who relocate for retirement tend to be of the more stable economic class and will bring in these benefits. Their demand for health care is good because it brings in facilities and physicians which now have a good market for their services. This increase in health care benefits everyone. If you look at rural America many areas are not well served or are dangerously ignored, but areas that have large retirement communities have the heath care advantages.

In addition, I do not think that an area has to necessarily grow to be a success. There is a national debate of this issue that stable communities that can achieve a good balance with jobs and wealth, can be considered prosperous. I point you to this article about this subject
Finding Rural America's Prosperous Communities | Daily Yonder | Keep It Rural

I think the west lacks is more small towns and villages that are balanced economically, have good healthcare, good schools, good public transportation. In addition a sustainable varied mix of business and industries is important so that they can be considered prosperous and a good place to live and retire.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 02-22-2009 at 05:44 PM..

Old 02-22-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the posts about Pueblo. Because of these post I have been reading much about this city and what I have seen of Pueblo, I like what it is now and the potential. I would not like it to turn into another large metroplex. There are places in the world for small, well run and well maintained cities, towns, and villages. That is what Pueblo should achieve and the more I have read about the city,I think that they have some sense of what is important. Their websites, compared to most cities, are outstanding with much information, nicely presented. Look at this website for information Pueblo, CO and this website for the city City of Pueblo, Colorado - City of Excellence very nicely done. Look at this link within the city's website A View of PUEBLO

I know that the crime statistics give a bad image of Pueblo but from my point of view crime can be reduced and changed. If crime can be reduced in New York City and it has tremendously, with neighborhoods that were much worse than Pueblo has now, Pueblo can easily overcome this challenge. Crime can be changed but climate cannot and Pueblo has a great climate and location.

I think this climate should be more aggressively marketed so that this area of Colorado will be more known as a mecca for retirees, just like areas in Arizona and New Mexico. As a senior I am now starting to realize the effects of seniors have on a region. They bring in a clean industry with many dollars from their retirements and pensions, which were earned elsewhere. They bring in federal monies from Social Security, VA pensions, military pensions etc. Those who relocate for retirement tend to be of the more stable economic class and will bring in these benefits. Their demand for health care is good because it brings in facilities and physicians which now have a good market for their services. This increase in health care benefits everyone. If you look at rural America many areas are not well served or are dangerously ignored, but areas that have large retirement communities have the heath care advantages.

In addition, I do not think that an area has to necessarily grow to be a success. There is a national debate of this issue that stable communities that can achieve a good balance with jobs and wealth, can be considered prosperous. I point you to this article about this subject
Finding Rural America's Prosperous Communities | Daily Yonder | Keep It Rural

I think the west lacks is more small towns and villages that are balanced economically, have good healthcare, good schools, good public transportation. In addition a sustainable varied mix of business and industries is important so that they can be considered prosperous and a good place to live and retire.

Livecontent
I agree with what you said however I would like to see Pueblo a little bigger then what we are now. I know I have my moments where I am like I want Pueblo to be a million or more but in reality I would like to see Pueblo be a nice city of 250,000 to 500,000 people. The best example I use is the city of Denver without the suburbs.....

I know that will mean a loss of some of the things I like about Pueblo now at 150,000 but I think the advantages of some growth will out way the disadvantages. Some are making the state fair more successful so Denver will hopefully stop trying to take it (not likely they have been trying since the 1890's) giving us a little bigger airport so I do not have to fly out of Colorado Springs any more and more restaurants and a larger downtown with high rises and Riverwalk area that leads to Runyon Field lined with restaurants and shops where we would have a minor league baseball team. As well as a bigger university making Pueblo a "college town".

Old 02-22-2009, 05:58 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,018,864 times
Right now Pueblo has about 105,000; 155,000 in Pueblo county. I'm not as ambitious as Josseppie, I think that if it were to level off at about 120,000-130,000 with a metro of about 225,000 or so would be perfect.
I do not want to see Pueblo grow north and Colorado Springs grow south and eventually merge. That would be a cumbersome drive. I do think the idea of CSU Pueblo growing to around 20,000 students. I also like the idea of expanding the airport there, but right now, there doesn't seem to be the demand for it, with Colorado Springs just 40 miles up the road. I'd also like to see the Pueblo Mall spruced up. Perhaps torn down and start from scratch even. But that isn't a high priority for me, probably anyone else, either.
Lastly, Josseppie would like to see some high rises downtown. I agree. Two or three would really add to the central part of town. If the demand existed, perhaps a 20 or so story residential tower on the river walk would be just what the doctor ordered for that town.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Right now Pueblo has about 105,000; 155,000 in Pueblo county. I'm not as ambitious as Josseppie, I think that if it were to level off at about 120,000-130,000 with a metro of about 225,000 or so would be perfect.
I do not want to see Pueblo grow north and Colorado Springs grow south and eventually merge. That would be a cumbersome drive. I do think the idea of CSU Pueblo growing to around 20,000 students. I also like the idea of expanding the airport there, but right now, there doesn't seem to be the demand for it, with Colorado Springs just 40 miles up the road. I'd also like to see the Pueblo Mall spruced up. Perhaps torn down and start from scratch even. But that isn't a high priority for me, probably anyone else, either.
Lastly, Josseppie would like to see some high rises downtown. I agree. Two or three would really add to the central part of town. If the demand existed, perhaps a 20 or so story residential tower on the river walk would be just what the doctor ordered for that town.
Let me qualify what I said:

Population: when I say 250,000 to 500,000 I am talking the entire county I just do not want suburbs over the ones we already have and would like most of the people to live in the city. So I am not that much more ambitious as you, plus I am talking long term growth say the next 50 years.

Airport: With Colorado Springs having a nice airport there is no need for Pueblo to have a major one when I say I would like to see more flights I am just talking to Denver using a larger plane, like the regional jet, something like one every hour or every other hour. I know the demand is not there now but maybe when we grow. With United having a hub in Denver that's all we really need in Pueblo. Plus that will help Pueblo attract more companies who want to be located by a airport.

Pueblo and Springs merging - like it or not that has happened on paper already when Pueblo annexed the lariat around Pueblo Springs that effectively took the city limit of Pueblo to the El Paso county line. So now we just have to manage it so it grows the best way it can.

High rises and CSU - Pueblo I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado