Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2008, 02:57 PM

202 posts, read 408,304 times

Advertisements

Current City and State = Carbondale, PA

2) Why do you want to leave = Current area is VERY depressed. And my g/f just moved there for a great paying job.

3) Where In Colorado and Why = Denver area. She is there, and has family there.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = North Carolina, South Carolina

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = Trying to find a job (Social services)

6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = Nothing I can think of...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 08:35 PM

132 posts, read 673,640 times
Default California Dreaming, or a nightmare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost heaven View Post
1) Current City and State = Cailfornia, Bay Area
2) Why do you want to leave = Overcrowded, to expensive, over taxed, more and more english is not the spoken language. rude people, mega stress, Bad Bad Traffic
I was in Los Altos last month for a few weeks, to visit family and friends, and to see the old house we use to live in (you don't even want to know how many millions of dollars this sucker costs now). I was use to the rude, arrogant people and horrible traffic when I lived there. But it gets to you as you get older. I can't live there now. But it was nice having all those neat electronics stores nearby. Trade offs!

Old 05-05-2008, 09:20 PM

161 posts, read 730,975 times
moved to denver from colo spgs, for jobs. salaries tend to be lower in springs than denver. more things to do in denver. Seattle or portland possible future move

Old 05-06-2008, 03:48 AM

300 posts, read 1,257,862 times
1) Current City and State = Orange County, CA

2) Why do you want to leave = cant afford to start out here (buy first house, kids, etc.)

3) Where In Colorado and Why = not sure exactly, probably denver area suburbs. I need to build an upmarket client base and have proximity to downtown denver. husband will probably work out of denver or possibly boulder.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = #2-we were thinking about North Carolina. I guess option #3 would be staying here in the OC, but husband really hates it here!

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = finishing up some projects on my end. husband getting transfered...its officially on the chopping block and should happen within the next 9mos-1year.

6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = young professionals in our late 20's. no kids (yet). wanting to start our official "Grown Up" life and family in colorado =)

Old 05-06-2008, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 9,661 times
1) Current City and State = Idaho

2) Why do you want to leave = Because i am a gypsy

3) Where In Colorado and Why =I have an insane chance at 20 acres and a house

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States =ummmm.....look above

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving =the job market

6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? =I am moving to canon city regardless of work....I can find it anywhere....

Old 05-30-2008, 01:54 PM

12 posts, read 131,261 times
1) Current City and State = South Bend, In
2) Why do you want to leave = crime rate is terrible, no jobs or growth unless, school system is not that great, tired of the gray and gloomy weather that we have at least 8-9 months of the year.

3) Where In Colorado and Why = I'm not entirely sure. I just began researching Colorado. I hear it's beautiful, affordable (in some areas), and has economic growth.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = #2-we were first thinking about California because I can transfer there with my job. But as cost of living seems so high there, we're leaning on somewhere else. #3 would be Chicago.

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = finishing up my second degree (have one year left) and saving enough money to make a "big" move.

6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = I'm married with 2 children (8 and 2). I'm in the accounting field.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:18 AM

44 posts, read 246,259 times
1) Current City and State = Riverside, Calif.

2) Why do you want to leave = Traffic, Smog, Crime, Snobby People, Lack of a Decent Quality of Life, Weather

3) Where In Colorado and Why = Colorado Springs, Pueblo, or Vail Valley.... because they are all gorgeous.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = Wyoming, Montana

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = I have to be 21 to be a State Trooper in Colorado. 2.5 Years and Counting!

6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = I'm aiming to be the Different college graduate, to seek a Career that I can enjoy my days off, and enjoy the days I'm actually working. I would rather make 60K a year doing a job I love, than making 200K a year doing something I absolutely hate.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:07 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,465,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSchuman View Post
1)
6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = I'm aiming to be the Different college graduate, to seek a Career that I can enjoy my days off, and enjoy the days I'm actually working. I would rather make 60K a year doing a job I love, than making 200K a year doing something I absolutely hate.
Only one problem--most jobs in Colorado, especially in the places you mentioned, don't pay $60K a year--even for college graduates with quite a bit of job experience. I would suggest you check out the stats for salaries and income in Colorado--it ain't California. Read here: ERS/USDA Data - CO Unemployment and Median Household Income

These numbers are for household income, not individual. When you compare those numbers with typical pricing for housing, the affordability index in Colorado is pretty lousy. Unless or until the Colorado real estate market really crashes (which I think likely), that is not going to change.

PS--I know some seasoned State Troopers in Colorado who can't even afford to live on their Trooper salary where they are stationed. Considering they put their lives on the line every day, I think that is pretty regrettable, but it's a fact of life in overinflated, underpaid Colorado.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Easy, Jazz. He's just 18. I had those same aspirations at that age.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:17 PM

48 posts, read 183,202 times
1) Current City and State = I'm currently in Fort Worth, TX

2) Why do you want to leave = I've lived here 11 years, and I guess now that I'm older, I am just so sick of the heat. It's too hot to do anything in the summer but go swimming or stay inside. I have a baby now, and the sun is so strong that we can't even go swimming during the day. I've been to CO numerous times, and it's so pretty there. DH and I love hiking and skiing. I grew up in WI and I miss the change of seasons...just not the long dark winters. I think it would be good for my son to grow up in an area where there are 4 seasons and where he can learn to ski/snowboard.

3) Where In Colorado and Why = Denver because I need to be able to find a job. Also because it would be nice to meet people who aren't right wing conservatives which is practically all there is in the DFW area.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = New Mexico and Washington (a very distant 3rd)

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = $$ Need to do a few more things to get our house ready to sell. The cost of living is higher up there, and we can afford it as long as we get our debts paid down quite a bit. Also, I have a 6 month old, so we'd like to wait 2-3 years so he'll enjoy it when we get there.

6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = DH and I have no family down here...everyone is in the midwest or Seattle. I could never go back to WI...loved the summers, but winter is too long and cold. The only reason I'd consider Seattle is because of my husband's family. Again, I love the summers there, but I don't think I could handle the dreary wet winters.

The only thing I would miss about TX is being driving distance to the ocean. However, I think the quality of life living near the mountains would offset that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado