Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 11:52 PM

29 posts, read 161,659 times

Advertisements

I thought I start this thread because there seems to be a flood of people wanting to move to the Centennial State. I too am GUILTY of that! I figured this would be great for us newbie’s who want to move but would also like to see what other possible movers are thinking.

KEEP IT SHORT, SWEET, AND TO THE POINT!!

1) Current City and State =

2) Why do you want to leave =

3) Where In Colorado and Why =

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States =

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving =

6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? =

Last edited by JCFLIGHTS; 01-06-2008 at 12:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 13,927 times
1) Current City and State = Knoxville, TN

2) Why do you want to leave = Pollution, Unemployment Rate, Humidity, Bible Belt, Winter is so short and NO SNOW hardly ever. I'm also sick of Tennessee orange everywhere. I'm a kentucky fan, grewup in eastern kentucky and this burnt orange really is ugly compared to UK's blue =). I think I can get used to some black and gold (Buffs) alot easier =).

3) Where In Colorado and Why = Considering Broomfield mostly, some other towns in the area aswell. I like the Broomfield area because it is so close to both Denver and Boulder, but yet not as expensive as the two.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = Wyoming, Washington

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = finances, will be set this summer hopefully tho.

6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know?: I look foward to people reacting to my Tennessee/Kentucky accent, should be pretty funny. I've been through both Denver and Boulder several times and I always get looks. Also, I hear the Boulder area has quite abit of folk music, which will be nice because that is one thing I will miss here in Knoxville.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:55 AM

11 posts, read 44,566 times
1. St. Thomas, Virgin Islands

2. Husband can't stand it here, too hot/humid, can't acclimate to the different culture/way of life, etc...

3. Denver, because that's where the jobs in my field are

4. No other states in mind, actually moving in March

5. Nothing holding us back

6. Also have a sister in Breckenridge, so that helped slightly with our decision to move to Colorado, always nice to have family close by. The rest of the family is in WI and can't see ever wanting to move back to NE WI.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:21 AM

42 posts, read 178,720 times
1. Haddonfield, New Jersey

2. Out of control property taxes, corrupt government, increasing traffic congestion, and a complete disregard or planning for the recreational needs of the community (shrinking "open space"). Oppressive summer humidity and bugs.

3. Ken-Caryl Valley or Highlands Ranch. Proximity to Denver and economic opportunity. KCV is drop dead gorgeous and immediatley felt like home, but Highlands Ranch offers more recreation centers and activities for the kids.

4. Utah and Arizona a very distant 2nd and 3rd.

5. Lots of things are holding me back.
a.) Our family is here, we have great neighbors and friends and I know no one in Colorado.
b.) The convenience of Haddonfield in particualar, where I seldom need my car, and NJ in general, with easy access to Philly, New York, Baltimore and Washington, provides all the sports and culture you could ever want. Shopping galore.
c.) Trees, beautiful trees, especially in autumn
d) The shore! The shore! The shore!
e) Don't have jobs in Colorado yet
f) Have to sell our house in a crummy market
g) I hate packing
i) MY local coffee shop! It's the anti-STarbucks, caters to locals and I only live a block away.
j) I've been brainwashed into thinking our school district, the best in the region, cannot be replicated. It is small (only 900 students in the high school) and it is a walking school district, which I like. You are not just a number here.

6. I'm ready to trade in convenience and my cozy, historic, small town ambience for a lower cost of living and greater outdoor lifestyle.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:40 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,945,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCFLIGHTS View Post
I figured this would be great for us newbie’s who want to move but would also like to see what other possible movers are thinking.

KEEP IT SHORT, SWEET, AND TO THE POINT!!
This is sort of what people are supposed to be doing anyway. I always want to know things like their budget, where they work and what they do. This information would convert a 30 post thread to a five post thread because responses from insufficient original posts tend to spray paint information rather than home in on the best solution for the inquirer.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:53 AM

74 posts, read 367,334 times
1) Current City and State = Dayton, Ohio

2) Why do you want to leave = WAY too Conservative, Lack of outdoor things to do, Lack of support of outdoor activities, Very few people in our age/social bracket to do things with (I could go on and on bashing Ohio, but I will keep it short)

3) Where In Colorado and Why = Boulder....for all the opposite reasons of the above...and, it's close to the airport, which I need for my job.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = Considered Portland, OR at one point but the decision has been made to move to Boulder

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = Absolutely nothing. House in OH goes on the market next month. Super excited!!!

Old 01-06-2008, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 13,680 times
1) Current City and State = St. Paul, MN

2) Why do you want to leave = Dark cold winters are depressing and family is far away

3) Where In Colorado and Why = Either Denver or Colorado Springs. Lots of sunshine and I have family there.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = Nebraska, I don't have a 3rd

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = Need time to save money, find a job and plan the move. Summer in Minnesota is nice, I will miss the lakes and all the green grass and trees.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-06-2008 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: spacing

Old 01-06-2008, 01:29 PM

88 posts, read 437,828 times
Default Ca to Co?

1) Current City and State = Cailfornia, Bay Area

2) Why do you want to leave = Overcrowded, to expensive, over taxed, more and more english is not the spoken language. rude people, mega stress, Bad Bad Traffic

3) Where In Colorado and Why = Parker. Family, good schools, nice small town.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = Nc and Wash.

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = the unknown. I also am at the top of my profession and I will have to start ovr building a reputation.

6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = I love the mountains, back packing, skiing and I went to school with Elway so I am already a Bronco fan.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 22,958 times
1) Current City and State = Knoxville, Tn

2) Why do you want to leave = Tired of the rain, better mountain biking and beer, larger mountains, more sunshine, to many people in the south, need a change of scenery

3) Where In Colorado and Why = Possibly Boulder or the surrounding area. The established cycling infrastrucutre makes Boulder an attractive area, along with the population.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = California and Oregon

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = My thesis, but not for long!

Old 01-06-2008, 08:03 PM

20 posts, read 129,985 times
1) Current City and State = George Town, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands

2) Why do you want to leave = Too small of an island; can't get anything unless it's imported; everything costs at least double what it does in the US; Schools are not great, and we have a young daughter

3) Where In Colorado and Why = Denver. We want to be close to the jobs (we are accountants), but close to the mountains at the same time

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = We were considering Texas and Arizona, but dropped those fairly early on in the search

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = Finances; my husband's green card application (he's English); selling our house here

6) Anything else you want to tell us that we dont know? = We love the mountains, hiking, skiing, generally any outdoors activity that doesn't require to go back inside after 5 minutes due to the excessive heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado