Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,683 times

Advertisements

I live in long island,new york just turned the big 40 and single. I am going to sell my house and have always thought of moving to Colorado. I have been looking at different areas on the internet, colorado springs, denver, boulder, fort collins. How is the job market? How is the nightlife scene? I am nervous because i would be by myself, but the job market here sucks and the thought of taking the subway in manhattan makes my blood boil.

anybody have any recommendations?

I worked in the wine & spirits industry for over 15 years, budgets, events, promotions, accounting, etc...

Thank you to all that respond.

Tess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 08:55 AM

26,239 posts, read 49,129,254 times
Denver. Do it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:12 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,794,120 times
WEll I work in IT so I can't tell you what the job market is like in your area. But as far as LI to Denver .... well, I only know LI a little bit. I lived in Brooklyn and visited a couple places on LI. So I don't know it well, but it seemed pretty boring to me. I think Denver would have better nightlife, but nothing like the boroughs or Manhattan.

I don't know if that helps.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:07 AM

718 posts, read 1,988,480 times
I don't know about wine and spirits, but Fort Collins has a pretty good beer industry:

Odell
New Belgium | Follow your folly!
CooperSmith's Pub & Brewing
Horsetooth Brewing Company, Fort Collins, CO
The Fort Collins Brewery • Hand-Crafted In Colorado
About Our Beer

and

Fort Collins Brewery Tour

Old 11-11-2009, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 39,977 times
Yes, undoubtedly, Denver would be the best choice in Colorado. If you moved to the metro area there is a ton of nightlife, shopping and restaurants.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:02 AM

91 posts, read 245,479 times
I would think that Denver and Boulder are your best choices. Both have phenominal food scenes! Aspen would always be good too but harder to break into and way more expensive to live in. Boulder is an extremely Liberal minded Big small town (with a college) and is nestled in the foothills of the mountains. You would have more of a "mountain" experience living there. Denver is about 45 min to an hour away from the mountains but you can see them off in the distance. Denver would be much more of a "city life" experience. Coming from Long Island I don't think that you will go through the "sticker shock" of the pricing of houses or anything else for that matter. There is a Denver magazine ( that covers Boulder as well )called 5280....you might be able to get a grasp of what's going on in the dining/bar area through reading it. Any way you go...it sounds as though you are in a place to do something that you always wanted to do....Go for it! Sometimes in overcoming a fear such as this one...you need to not think of all the bad that can happen and focus on all the good that can happen. I moved from PA to Colorado many years ago and I consider myself a mountain girl now ad have never looked back. Good Luck!

Old 11-17-2009, 08:03 PM

11 posts, read 67,321 times
DEFINITELY Denver or Boulder!!!! Colorado Springs will put you in too much of a culture shock if you are single and from NY-

We moved here from DC and were looking for quiet and simple (COS worked for us) but if I were single....no way, i would go to Boulder.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:23 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,017,382 times
Most of the Colorado wineries (http://www.visitgrandjunction.com/wine_country/ - broken link) are located in the general area of Grand Junction on the western slope of the rockies.

WINE COUNTRY

Colorado wines are making a big splash – and the heart of the Colorado wine industry is right here in Grand Junction. The Grand Valley region produces wonderful, high-quality wines in a spectacular setting. With several intimate, accessible and altogether charming vineyards, a tour through the heart of Colorado wine country is perfect for any level of enthusiast. Be sure to catch a late summer harvest tour, when the grapes are picked and processed to create the next standout vintage.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:09 PM

4 posts, read 30,682 times
lovinco why would Colorado Springs be to much of a culture shock for someone single?

Old 08-24-2010, 09:51 AM

529 posts, read 1,327,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallysue26 View Post
lovinco why would Colorado Springs be to much of a culture shock for someone single?
I can answer that; CO Springs is more of a military town for families. Maybe not so military but there is a big presence there.

If you read through the threads, you'll find it is more family oriented.

Denver has a vibrant downtown, I don't know about the night life. When I lived up there I drank at a bar close to my house so I could walk home. Colorado is very strict on everything. You'll need a car to get around and if you party too much one night and get a DWI, you'll be in some deep stuff.

As always, finding a job in CO will be rough. Although I don't know about the wine industry in there. I myself would sit tight if I had a house and job in New York until the economy improves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado