Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 08:45 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,486,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It wasn't that long ago (early 80s) you couldn't get a decent Mexican meal in Durango to save your life. Surprising with its proximity to NM. At that time it was much better over in SE CO where there was a bigger hispanic population. Back then Mexican/Southwestern food was more localized before it was "discovered" by middle America.
Back when it first started, one could get a really good New Mexican meal at Francisco's. But, like so many things, the food was changed to fit the tourist's palates as that segment of their business became dominant.

Today, you're pretty much right--I haven't had a really good Mexican meal in Durango in a number of years. The best New Mexican food that I've had in Colorado is over in the San Luis Valley. The El Charro in Alamosa, Dutch Mill in Antonito, etc.--really good chow at reasonable prices. Not the foo-foo overpriced yuppie junk one finds in Durango or Santa Fe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 06:39 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Not the foo-foo overpriced yuppie junk one finds in Durango or Santa Fe.
There's still some decent Southwestern food in Santa Fe. Tomasita's and The Shed are old favorites of mine that seem to have maintained their quality and authenticity.

Here's a street by street directory of individuals and businesses in Durango from 100 years ago. Lots of saloons but no Taco Bell's or other fast food Mexican joints.

Durango Householders Directory 1911

I did note one Chinese restaurant. Apparently that was the only ethnic cuisine offered at the time.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 06-25-2011 at 07:15 AM..

Old 06-25-2011, 01:32 PM

80 posts, read 151,579 times
I have to laugh reading this thread. I was in Durango just last week (beautiful, by the way, I love visiting Durango) to visit a friend. We went out to dinner with some of his co-workers and the topic of Pagosa Springs came up. One of the people at the dinner mentioned how Pagosa Springs was superficial and 'elitist'. Coincidentally, I see this thread with people calling Durango 'elitist'. It made me laugh. I guess it's all in one's perception.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:03 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times
Just curious who makes up this "elite" and how they differ from elites anywhere else. Does it give that perception because there are relatively many residents with college and post-grad degrees?

Old 06-26-2011, 08:27 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,007,741 times
AMidnightSoul wrote:
I see this thread with people calling Durango 'elitist'. It made me laugh. I guess it's all in one's perception.
It's ALL perception! And everybody's perception is always 100% right...in their own mind. No problem with that. It's just the nature of the human mind. The problem comes when someone suggests, implies, or states outright that the way they see things is how things really are....and everybody else is wet behind the ears.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:49 AM

169 posts, read 373,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
AMidnightSoul wrote:
I see this thread with people calling Durango 'elitist'. It made me laugh. I guess it's all in one's perception.
It's ALL perception! And everybody's perception is always 100% right...in their own mind. No problem with that. It's just the nature of the human mind. The problem comes when someone suggests, implies, or states outright that the way they see things is how things really are....and everybody else is wet behind the ears.
Post of the millennium and also words to live by. A divergent viewpoint is no excuse for incivility.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:20 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,944,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusAllen View Post
Post of the millennium and also words to live by. A divergent viewpoint is no excuse for incivility.
Oh, man! As a fellow (used to be) Kentuckian, I gotta warn you then to stay away from the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum on this site. The folks over there are MEAN!

"United we stand, divided we fall."

Old 06-26-2011, 08:11 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,947,344 times
Well VenusAllen, in a few more years, I'll be joining you in Durango. I own 5 acres there and will be building a home with my wife. We have relatives in the area and just love it there. Those Californians, most of them are gone now (at least the real big homes), their precious mansions going in short sales by their former lenders. Except for Trimble Crossing. Postage stamp lot size California suburb complete with a California golf course. Pretty funny really.

So anyway, you go boy. I love the place and I'll be there as soon as all of my retirement ducks are in a row. Oh, and Jazzlover is who he is. A curmudgeonly Colorado native. He doesn't hide it and wears it like a badge. No problem here. He knows a lot about Colorado. I don't always agree with his prognostications but he a valuable counterpoint in many of the discussions.

Oh, and I know E'Town KY well. Used to stay overnight there when I had customers up in Radcliff. Went there fairly regularly. Was a regular at the Tim Horton's there when I was in town.

SoButCounty

Old 06-27-2011, 06:31 PM

82 posts, read 206,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
Oh, and Jazzlover is who he is. A curmudgeonly Colorado native. He doesn't hide it and wears it like a badge. No problem here. He knows a lot about Colorado. I don't always agree with his prognostications but he a valuable counterpoint in many of the discussions.
SoButCounty
I would agree Jazzlover is surly, but I've never known the Oracle to be wrong. Deep down, it's well known he's not been. Not once. Don't expect a friendly user interface, leave that for the other Oracle, Idunn. It is not needed.

I would be proud of him if he were my dad or my uncle. I think he has integrity and is unapologetic in what he thinks and believes.

Were it not for his posts, I wouldn't even bother with this site.

...well maybe I stick around for CAVA's and Idunn's too...

Last edited by livinslv; 06-27-2011 at 06:40 PM..

Old 07-30-2011, 12:59 PM

4 posts, read 6,461 times
I'd like to get to know someone in Durango. Trust me, anything is better than nasty Cincinasty Ohio, We're looking to move to Durango or surrounding area next summer. Are there any smaller homes for rent out there around 700.00-800.00 a month? I'd like a small mountain town with mild summers and low humidity, the least populated the better, but it has to be close enough t o a larger town so we can have access to doctors, stores etc....Can anyone tell me about the smaller surrounding towns?. Contact me if you'd like to talk or email. Thanks, Amber

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-30-2011 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Keep your email in your profile, else the spambots will copy it and bury you with spam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado