Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 01:02 PM

169 posts, read 373,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Agreed. Most chain restaurants are simply a way for people to be assured of finding the same mediocre slop to eat wherever they go. Sort of "dummied-down" food for dummied-down palates.
Wow! Really? "Dummied-down palate?" I'll take my culinary-school training and go toe-to-toe with you any time you'd like. Not that I should explain, but for our 9-day, 3600 mile road trip, the wife and I challenged ourselves to our version of Rachel Ray's "$40 a day", only we limited ourselves to $20 as a couple and it was a lot of fun, a word that you can find in the dictionary. For reference, the wife spotted a Little Caesar's in Amarillo, a brilliant stroke of luck considering we were burnt out on burgers and truck stop Tornadoes, and that $6 pizza fed both of us for lunch and dinner. Was it the elegant, silver and crystal fine dining experience that Jazzlover is privy to at every meal? No. But I'll assure you it's a memory that we'll cherish, and laugh about, fifty years from now. And guess who had ice cream on the "savings"? Granted, it was lowly, "dummied-down palate" DQ, rather than the hand-churned, imported cream variety to which you're accustomed, but we liked it.
You never cease to amaze me with your pontifications on how one should lead one's life, Jazz. On one hand, you never miss the opportunity to TELL everyone that the Colorado economy is in shambles because Coloradans don't conserve enough, save enough, live below their means,etc., and then turn around and chide people for living frugally. I'm baffled, which is it? The only other explanation I can come up with is that you simply take pleasure in being contrary. Nah, that couldn't be true, could it (violent eye roll)? I sincerely hope someone is there to catch you the day you fall from your high horse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 01:33 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Don't know, I don't mind Del Taco, especially their nachos.

Not something I would eat everyday but when I go out west this year, I will certainly have a go.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:55 PM

82 posts, read 205,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusAllen View Post
Wow! Really? "Dummied-down palate?" I'll take my culinary-school training and go toe-to-toe with you any time you'd like. Not that I should explain, but for our 9-day, 3600 mile road trip, the wife and I challenged ourselves to our version of Rachel Ray's "$40 a day", only we limited ourselves to $20 as a couple and it was a lot of fun, a word that you can find in the dictionary. For reference, the wife spotted a Little Caesar's in Amarillo, a brilliant stroke of luck considering we were burnt out on burgers and truck stop Tornadoes, and that $6 pizza fed both of us for lunch and dinner. Was it the elegant, silver and crystal fine dining experience that Jazzlover is privy to at every meal? No. But I'll assure you it's a memory that we'll cherish, and laugh about, fifty years from now. And guess who had ice cream on the "savings"? Granted, it was lowly, "dummied-down palate" DQ, rather than the hand-churned, imported cream variety to which you're accustomed, but we liked it.
You never cease to amaze me with your pontifications on how one should lead one's life, Jazz. On one hand, you never miss the opportunity to TELL everyone that the Colorado economy is in shambles because Coloradans don't conserve enough, save enough, live below their means,etc., and then turn around and chide people for living frugally. I'm baffled, which is it? The only other explanation I can come up with is that you simply take pleasure in being contrary. Nah, that couldn't be true, could it (violent eye roll)? I sincerely hope someone is there to catch you the day you fall from your high horse.
I think you missed Jazzlover's point. I believe he was referring to familiarity and not that people are dumb or Colorado's economy is bad. Which is a good point you brought up.

On another note, you might be a hit with your new neighbors in Durango. Most of them are likely Californians or New Yorkers. Then again...maybe you won't.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:52 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Well, Mr. Culinary Expert, you don't have to eat some slop in a chain restaurant to eat quite frugally. There are plenty of independent restaurants that offer good food at reasonable prices. Of course, you usually won't find them next to the Interstate. And anybody who thinks chain fast food is "frugal" needs to get their head examined.
Like the old saying goes:

Quote:
We have three kinds of service: Good, Cheap, and Fast. You can pick any two.

You can have fast service that's good, but it won't be cheap.

You can have cheap service that's good, but it won't be fast.

OR

You can have cheap service that's fast, but it won't be good.
Also, I don't eat gourmet ice cream, or slurp latte at Starbuck's, or any of that BS. My only "indulgence" of that nature is that I like to very occasionally drink real good expensive whiskey, straight up--"family-style" if I'm with friends. And if you don't know what that is, you aren't a real rural Coloradan. Of course, places like Durango have a lot of "posers" who think that they are "real" Coloradans--they're real easy for we natives to spot.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:36 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Of course, places like Durango have a lot of "posers" who think that they are "real" Coloradans--they're real easy for we natives to spot.
Wouldn't that be everyone except for you?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:24 AM

169 posts, read 373,225 times
Quote:
Well, Mr. Culinary Expert, you don't have to eat some slop in a chain restaurant to eat quite frugally. There are plenty of independent restaurants that offer good food at reasonable prices. Of course, you usually won't find them next to the Interstate. And anybody who thinks chain fast food is "frugal" needs to get their head examined.

If it's so easy then do it, Jazz. Go to your non slop eating establishments, you AND a friend, and report back how you both ate three meals a day, while on the road, for less than $20, and for nine days. I know you're type, you can't do it, nor will you try, but you'll pipe up with some other Jazz-laced BS to explain why you didn't. It's so important for you to feel superior that you can't see, or don't care, that you come off as condescending and arrogant. You posted in my thread, Jack, not the other way around, I asked a tongue-in-cheek question but you couldn't resist, as usual, mocking that which doesn't fit your mold of the world. An apt answer would have been, "They didn't have enough business", but not you, slick, you had to get your smart-ass jab in.

Also, I don't eat gourmet ice cream, or slurp latte at Starbuck's, or any of that BS. My only "indulgence" of that nature is that I like to very occasionally drink real good expensive whiskey, straight up--"family-style" if I'm with friends. And if you don't know what that is, you aren't a real rural Coloradan. Of course, places like Durango have a lot of "posers" who think that they are "real" Coloradans--they're real easy for we natives to spot.
Dude, you make this too easy. Your snarky remark about "good expensive whiskey" might work on someone else but do you not see where I live? As far as you know, I could be making up the culinary education (I'm not), but do really want to talk whiskey with me? I live in the bluegrass region of Kentucky. You know, Jim Beam, Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark, need I go on? Kentucky IS the whiskey capital of the world, technically bourbon, but I digress. The irony is that I loathe bourbon: I'm a Coor's Light man. Is that okay, or is beer the elixir of the poor? I've never cared for your condescending tone but I did think you were a valuable source of info because you seem so knowledgeable on the area. But your bitter and hateful delivery method towards outsiders has caused me to discard EVERYTHING you say. Your attitude forced me to "throw the baby out with the bathwater", so to speak.
My wife and I are good people, we WANT to live in your area, we WANT to contribute to your community, and we will. Your blind hatred of outsiders skews your world view. If Colorado is so bad I blame it on YOU, Mr. self-appointed caretaker. But don't worry, I'll be there soon enough to clean up your mess. Btw, I could give two ****s whether we fit your view of "real" Coloradans, because you sure don't fit mine.

Last edited by VenusAllen; 06-23-2011 at 11:29 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 03:36 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,076 times
ugh, I so dislike that term!!!!!!!!! My mom loves it. I grew up in Dgo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I think it'd be easier, and more fun, to call them Durangies.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:37 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,076 times
Quote:
..."posers"...
That's funny, I haven't heard that term since I was a kid. Stupid poser. ahahahahaha

Old 06-23-2011, 03:57 PM

82 posts, read 205,949 times
Default Slop or Slop?

Well, maybe Del Taco is slop or maybe not.

But I have to wonder myself if the Del Taco tacos contain near meat like that other Taco place is reported to have in its cuisine...

I heard varying reports on the morning news on the competitor's taco contents; 38% meat, 50% wheat leavins' and the rest is ash filler with seasoning....or is it 50% meat, leaveners and non-organic fillers? Do those tacos contain 'meat' or 'ain't meat'? Like one of the RP's wrote, it is probably cat food in folded card board anyways and it tastes like that after a night of gratuitous embibement. I might have mispelled that second to last word, I'm still getting over my hangover and now y'all've made me hungry. Hungry and hungover and inventing new noun-verbs....mmmm....tacos.

Cheap, plastic n tasty....all things a hung-over boy or girl needs for nourishement.

Cheers everybody! er Durangin's, I mean Durangmens or Durangoans!

Old 06-23-2011, 04:20 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Dude, you make this too easy. Your snarky remark about "good expensive whiskey" might work on someone else but do you not see where I live? As far as you know, I could be making up the culinary education (I'm not), but do really want to talk whiskey with me? I live in the bluegrass region of Kentucky. You know, Jim Beam, Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark, need I go on? Kentucky IS the whiskey capital of the world, technically bourbon, but I digress. The irony is that I loathe bourbon: I'm a Coor's Light man. Is that okay, or is beer the elixir of the poor? I've never cared for your condescending tone but I did think you were a valuable source of info because you seem so knowledgeable on the area. But your bitter and hateful delivery method towards outsiders has caused me to discard EVERYTHING you say. Your attitude forced me to "throw the baby out with the bathwater", so to speak.
My wife and I are good people, we WANT to live in your area, we WANT to contribute to your community, and we will. Your blind hatred of outsiders skews your world view. If Colorado is so bad I blame it on YOU, Mr. self-appointed caretaker. But don't worry, I'll be there soon enough to clean up your mess. Btw, I could give two ****s whether we fit your view of "real" Coloradans, because you sure don't fit mine.
Well, not ALL great bourbon is made in Kentucky, but I do rather fancy Maker's Mark, though there are some lesser known Kentucky whiskeys that I like better. As for Coors Light, it's OK, but is a poor sister to the original Coors Banquet Beer. I have a fair amount of knowledge about Coors since a dear friend of mine worked in qaulity control at the brewery for a number of years--up far enough in the company to know Bill and Joe personally (my family knew them, as well). A lot of the Coors people really didn't like Coors Light--they felt it was market pandering to people with not much taste for good beer--I'll leave it at that. And, no, I don't much fancy most microbrew yuppie foo-foo beer, either.

As to whether you like my attitude or not, I really don't care. I don't post on this, or any other forum, to win a popularity contest. And go try that second to last sentence of yours on some long-time Coloradans face-to-face and see what happens--you might find that I'm the "tame" response to what you might get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado