Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,281 times

Advertisements

Right now I am a junior in high school and soon I will start applying to colleges soon. I have a 3.9 GPA (UW), received a 2210 on the SAT (1510 on the M + R), play on the football team for my high school, do volunteer work, and I have received an award for writing an essay which I read to the school.

One of the main things I am looking for in a college campus in terms of social life is racial integration. In the high school I went to we had a lot of racial diversity, people of different races were friends with each other, and we all dated each other. It was not a big deal and we didn't even think about race at all but I am somewhat worried about what might happen in college.

The reason I worry is because from my high school, two of my older classmates that graduated before me (one Mexican and one East Asian) went away to a public university in the SEC to which they received generous financial aid. By nature both of these guys are outgoing and they were considered attractive when we were in high school as well.

What they have told me is that Greek Life is colossal at their school and a lot of fraternities are not too open minded about giving bids to people whose looks contrast from the norm in ways they can't control (I am sure you know what I am getting at here). Though both of them prospered in high school often dating the most attractive girls, they claim that at their new university interracial dating is not that common and some students openly oppose it and say it just isn't right.

Both of my friends who were some of the most charismatic, outgoing, friendly, and kind guys I knew in high school seem to be having a rough experience at their university (an SEC school).

Hearing their stories has been eye opening for me, I always thought college was a step above high school and a place for open mindedness and integration but I guess it doesn't apply to all schools.

Can you guys tell me of colleges that tend to have a lot of racial integration going on? If it applies to most universities than can you tell of universities that are the opposite? So far I have heard that Big 12 and SEC schools might not be the best places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 12:34 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
I think if you stay away from SEC schools you will be just fine. I would like to think that in 2014 those things don't matter but unfortunately, there are parts of the country where that just is not the case. Stay north of the Mason-Dixon and you won't really have issues. Yes, there are some schools in the south where you would be fine too but guessing by your description of your friends' experience, those big schools they are at are very focused on who your people are...

Old 01-17-2014, 12:44 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,398,458 times
The University of Texas is a very diverse campus with little racism as far as I could tell. Interracial dating is common, as is pretty much any type of lifestyle choice you can think of. If you go the frat boy route, be prepared for that kind of lifestyle. I purposely chose not to join a sorority, as I prefer to be friends with a wider circle of people.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:04 PM

919 posts, read 1,691,805 times
Where do you want to go to school? East coast has very good schools as well as some of the most diversity around.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:10 PM

158 posts, read 333,138 times
As one previous poster has already stated, North of the Mason-Dixon line would be a safe bet. Out west(i.e.California) would be safe as well. Purely based on the schools I think you will get into with your scores, achievements and extracurricular activities.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:46 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,919,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I think if you stay away from SEC schools you will be just fine. I would like to think that in 2014 those things don't matter but unfortunately, there are parts of the country where that just is not the case. Stay north of the Mason-Dixon and you won't really have issues. Yes, there are some schools in the south where you would be fine too but guessing by your description of your friends' experience, those big schools they are at are very focused on who your people are...
To add to this, I would also focus on schools where Greek life does not dominate the social scene (which is a lot of the southern schools).

Old 01-17-2014, 05:07 PM

551 posts, read 1,122,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsLooizForYou View Post
Right now I am a junior in high school and soon I will start applying to colleges soon. I have a 3.9 GPA (UW), received a 2210 on the SAT (1510 on the M + R), play on the football team for my high school, do volunteer work, and I have received an award for writing an essay which I read to the school.

One of the main things I am looking for in a college campus in terms of social life is racial integration. In the high school I went to we had a lot of racial diversity, people of different races were friends with each other, and we all dated each other. It was not a big deal and we didn't even think about race at all but I am somewhat worried about what might happen in college.

The reason I worry is because from my high school, two of my older classmates that graduated before me (one Mexican and one East Asian) went away to a public university in the SEC to which they received generous financial aid. By nature both of these guys are outgoing and they were considered attractive when we were in high school as well.

What they have told me is that Greek Life is colossal at their school and a lot of fraternities are not too open minded about giving bids to people whose looks contrast from the norm in ways they can't control (I am sure you know what I am getting at here). Though both of them prospered in high school often dating the most attractive girls, they claim that at their new university interracial dating is not that common and some students openly oppose it and say it just isn't right.

Both of my friends who were some of the most charismatic, outgoing, friendly, and kind guys I knew in high school seem to be having a rough experience at their university (an SEC school).

Hearing their stories has been eye opening for me, I always thought college was a step above high school and a place for open mindedness and integration but I guess it doesn't apply to all schools.

Can you guys tell me of colleges that tend to have a lot of racial integration going on? If it applies to most universities than can you tell of universities that are the opposite? So far I have heard that Big 12 and SEC schools might not be the best places.
Go to Syracuse or Ohio State lol, great scores BTW

Old 01-17-2014, 07:27 PM

127 posts, read 320,625 times
Syracuse has one of the biggest frat scenes in the country btw.

OP remember, you can always rush a fraternity at those universities and still be a part of the crowd. Your friends seem to be away from the Greek Scene along with looking different from the norm, which is costing them social success.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:42 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,044,844 times
Take a look at Stanford.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:42 AM

9,357 posts, read 13,024,137 times
College is a huge crapshoot these days, but if you roll the dice at all the ivies + ivy equivalents you're interested in, you should at least get a couple hits (especially if you ED somewhere).

Your high school sounds like a harmonious place. Unfortunately the real world, even in relatively tolerant places, still has a lot of self-segregation. But obviously, some places are better than others.

You might like Penn. Greek scene is fairly active, but surprisingly friendly/accepting, and not joining a frat isn't tantamount to social suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities