Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:15 AM

4 posts, read 20,204 times

Advertisements

Hello my name is Edward, from czech republic, I'm thinking about studying in the U.S. or Canada, I do not have high school diploma.

I'm trying to find some good community colleges but it's proven to be quite difficult..

I would really appreciate if you guys could give me some links of colleges that do not require high school diploma as a requirement for acceptance..

Thanks in advance guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 01:35 PM

83 posts, read 194,176 times
Without a high school diploma you will need at least a GED to attend any legitimate/accredited college.

Last edited by introv78; 03-13-2013 at 01:53 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 01:42 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,602,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward1988 View Post
Hello my name is Edward, from czech republic, I'm thinking about studying in the U.S. or Canada, I do not have high school diploma.

I'm trying to find some good community colleges but it's proven to be quite difficult..

I would really appreciate if you guys could give me some links of colleges that do not require high school diploma as a requirement for acceptance..

Thanks in advance guys.
Howard Community College

Better instruction than many four-year universities, in my opinion, and I know for a fact that you need neither a diploma nor a GED to enroll (they will make you take placement tests however).

Old 03-13-2013, 02:01 PM

4 posts, read 20,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Howard Community College

Better instruction than many four-year universities, in my opinion, and I know for a fact that you need neither a diploma nor a GED to enroll (they will make you take placement tests however).

Are you sure about that?
Overseas F1 Visa Applicants

Official secondary school transcripts and/or diploma verifying graduation. Uncertified photocopies not acceptable.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:19 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,293,365 times
I am not aware of any college that will accept you without a diploma or GED.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
It is my understanding that most, if not all, CCs do not require HS diplomas or GEDs. My local CC dos not require it.

Community College Admissions Requirements - FRCC
** Our open-admission policy means that anyone seeking to better themselves through education is welcome at our college. If you are at least 17 years old, you will be admitted automatically to Front Range Community College. Admission to the college, however, does not ensure acceptance into any specific program.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:03 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,346,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It is my understanding that most, if not all, CCs do not require HS diplomas or GEDs. My local CC dos not require it.

** Our open-admission policy means that anyone seeking to better themselves through education is welcome at our college. If you are at least 17 years old, you will be admitted automatically to Front Range Community College. Admission to the college, however, does not ensure acceptance into any specific program.
well that's interesting....

Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,602,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward1988 View Post
Are you sure about that?
Overseas F1 Visa Applicants

Official secondary school transcripts and/or diploma verifying graduation. Uncertified photocopies not acceptable.
Ah, it might be different for overseas students. I had a classmate their with no diploma or GED, but he was American.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:08 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,246,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I am not aware of any college that will accept you without a diploma or GED.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Howard Community College

HCC....I know people that go there. I would agree that for a community college it is top notch. Some of those I know in attendance commute from various parts of Maryland (outside of HoCo).

You are correct, though. You can be admitted into a community college without a HS diploma or GED. You will need to take placement tests, though, and if you do well enough on them you are in. The only catch is that your first 24 credits go towards obtaining a GED. Yup. Once you earn your GED you are then able to matriculate into the cc as a regular student, which means you can no work towards an A.A./A.S. degree.

This does not work for International students, so the OP will need a HS diploma, transcript from secondary education, or the equivalent. Also, International students need to take the TOEFL unless they come from an English speaking country.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:47 AM

83 posts, read 194,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

This college is not accredited through one of the 6 regional accreditation agencies in the US which is how they can do this. A high school diploma or GED is a requirement by all regional accreditation agencies before a degree is given. I'm sure there are some colleges that have their own accreditation or national accreditation that will confer a degree without a high school diploma or GED but not a regional accredited college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities