Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:45 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,655 times

Advertisements

This is my fourth class with yet another stupid assignment. It's a World Religions class and my assignment is to interview a local clergy member. I'm not comfortable doing that! Plus, I've left voice messages at three churches with no return calls. An assignment should NOT be dependent on something like this. Now, I get to get a B or C in this class, instead of an A. Granted this isn't as bad as some of the really over-the-top assignments I've read about in the news over the years. Teachers really don't get the real world at all.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-27-2013 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: removed inappropriate language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 02:30 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
This is my fourth class with yet another stupid assignment. It's a World Religions class and my assignment is to interview a local clergy member. I'm not comfortable doing that! Plus, I've left voice messages at three churches with no return calls. An assignment should NOT be dependent on something like this. Now, I get to get a B or C in this class, instead of an A. Granted this isn't as bad as some of the really over-the-top assignments I've read about in the news over the years. Teachers really don't get the real world at all.
Unless it is a very small town with only a few churches/synagogues/mosques/ etc. and there are 100 students in your class I can't imagine the problem. Call some of the larger churches/etc. during their business hours and it should not be difficult to set up an appointment.

Adding a real life component to a college class usually is quite valuable in the long run. If you aren't comfortable talking with a clergy member just wait until you need to volunteer or interview people at the state locked mental health facility, state prison or someplace similar OR need to live in the "real world".

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-27-2013 at 04:04 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 02:36 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,410,344 times
I find that hilarious.

I decided I was an agnostic at 12. Why would anyone take a world's religions class? Which religion can prove there is a god? But I agree, an assignment should not depend on the behavior of someone other than the student.

psik

Old 06-27-2013, 03:59 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Funny, I was a newspaper reporter for many years post-college. An assignment like this would have been VERY "real world" for me. Trying to reach people for interviews and figuring out what to do when you can't get the interview under deadline was a near-daily occurrence in my professional life.

Just because it's an assignment you don't like, or aren't comfortable with, that doesn't make it useless or stupid. It seems like a perfectly normal assignment with numerous practical applications, and having to do things outside your comfort zone is part of real life, FWIW.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:24 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
I find that hilarious.

I decided I was an agnostic at 12. Why would anyone take a world's religions class? Which religion can prove there is a god? But I agree, an assignment should not depend on the behavior of someone other than the student.

psik
It's not a class intended to convert you to one of those religions, genius.

By that logic, only a man who wants to be a woman should sign up for a Women's Studies class...

Old 06-27-2013, 04:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
I'm not comfortable doing that!
I get to get a B or C in this class,
You're fine. You are doing what you want. You got the grade you wanted. If you wanted an A you would have completed the interview assignment.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:50 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,655 times
LOL. I spoke to the professor and he agreed with me somewhat. Offers me some extra credit ifmI didn't want to do the assignment.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:25 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
This is a strange assignment although I don't think it's that unreasonable. I will agree with your last sentence though. Lots of college professors have no concept of the real world.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:45 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times
I had to interview someone for a World Religions class. I interviewed a rabbi. This seems like a real world assignment to me. It's more real world than trying to get an average person's point of view from a textbook. In the real world, you have to deal with people of different religions, cultures, economic backgrounds, etc. Like another post said, unless you live in a really small town, you should have dozens to even thousands of clergy members to choose from.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:48 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,517,079 times
I'm with TabulaRase, Just because this was out of your comfort zone does not make it a stupid or even unreasonable assignment. Interviewing a clergy member seems perfectly reasonable to me for a religion class. My son had to do something similar last semester plus attend a service. The more you get out of your comfort zone, the bigger your comfort zone becomes.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities