Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:56 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,941,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
This is a joke..........I started college when I was 42 years old and had been out of school since I was 16 and in the work force and I did ALL of my assignments without complaint.

More people than you could imagine know exactly how alien college is after being out of school for 20 or more years, it is nothing new and definitely not a special bulletin news flash with film at 11:00.
That's because you are much smarter, harder working, amd generally a better person than me. I can strive to one day be at your level. Might happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 10:56 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,173,380 times
I think your professor or college must be a doing a horrible job if you're not interested in chasing these folks down to learn more. Are you sure you're studying under the best faculty in the field?

Old 06-27-2013, 11:00 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,302,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
That's because you are much smarter, harder working, amd generally a better person than me. I can strive to one day be at your level. Might happen.

Patronization is NOT attractive nor appreciated and you really don't do it well at all.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:10 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,941,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Patronization is NOT attractive nor appreciated and you really don't do it well at all.
You're right. I'll add that to my list of faults. Thank you.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:49 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I think your professor or college must be a doing a horrible job if you're not interested in chasing these folks down to learn more. Are you sure you're studying under the best faculty in the field?
It sounds like the OP is in a community college getting basic requirements out of the way before transferring to a university. That would explain the simplistic level of the assignments. (Not that all community college instructors are like this, but one wouldn't expect it at a university.)

Old 06-28-2013, 02:54 AM

30,571 posts, read 16,263,911 times
Quote:
I know a fair bit. Up North, there are several mainline churches which are "accepting". Here in the South? Not so much.

I over-reacted a bit to the assignment originally. Part of it was a recent interaction I had when I was buying engagement rings for me and my new fiancee. A guy in the store overheard and claimed he was a minister and got very up in my face. at one point, I thought he was going to take a swing at me. I will never tell that story to my fiancée, but that ass marked what should have been such a happy memory for me When the idea of having to go talk to a clergy came up, it combined with my time-management stress, and things boiled over.

If it could be a minister in any area of the county, I would have just called my father
Yea, that stinks that that minister acted like that. Claiming to worship a loving god and focusing on hate...what's with that?

Anyway, glad it was just venting and not whining. I wish you well in your class.

and congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:58 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,142,119 times
Quote:
This is my fourth class with yet another stupid assignment. It's a World Religions class and my assignment is to interview a local clergy member. I'm not comfortable doing that! Plus, I've left voice messages at three churches with no return calls. An assignment should NOT be dependent on something like this. Now, I get to get a B or C in this class, instead of an A. Granted this isn't as bad as some of the really over-the-top assignments I've read about in the news over the years. Teachers really don't get the real world at all.
I disagree. I teach college courses, and don't think this is unreasonable at all. College is supposed to make you expand your horizons and sometimes that takes getting out of your comfort zones.

If I was the instructor and you came up to me expressing this, I would offer you to come up with an alternative assignment that you think would be better.

Last edited by Tex?Il?; 06-28-2013 at 04:06 AM..

Old 06-28-2013, 05:40 AM

9,781 posts, read 11,187,785 times
To the OP. Your complaint should be with the professor or department.

1.) If the class is World Religion, why did the prof limit it to Christianity?
2.) Why did the instructor assign an interview with prearranged questions?
3.) Why waste your time (and the clergies time) if it only will take you a mere 5 minutes to complete an assignment?
4.) If the assignment really has value, why should he buckle when any student comes to him and complains?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-28-2013 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: fixed typos, removed rude comments

Old 06-28-2013, 05:52 AM

88,661 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
I have to get that piece of paper to advance in my career, despite already being qualified. Hey, I'll play by the new rules. I like this class amd the professor a lot. After seeing it from the standpoint of the average student, I get how this assignment could teach them something. I get it.

Yes, the assignment is so simple to me as to be banal, except my lingering distaste with the church (it has to be a Christian denomination for the assignment) as a gay man. That and having to depend on a response from someone who could care less about me. Still waiting in call backs...
If you're a gay man, why not seek to interview an Episcopal priest who is either a) gay herself or himself and/or b) has conducted a religious blessing-of-the-union ceremony for a gay couple? Perhaps they've gotten pushback from other denominations or had congregants leave because they disagree with their decisions or who they are. It seems to me you could have a very interesting conversation even if you don't follow the church's beliefs.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:56 AM

88,661 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
I know a fair bit. Up North, there are several mainline churches which are "accepting". Here in the South? Not so much.

I over-reacted a bit to the assignment originally. Part of it was a recent interaction I had when I was buying engagement rings for me and my new fiancee. A guy in the store overheard and claimed he was a minister and got very up in my face. at one point, I thought he was going to take a swing at me. I will never tell that story to my fiancée, but that ass marked what should have been such a happy memory for me When the idea of having to go talk to a clergy came up, it combined with my time-management stress, and things boiled over.

If it could be a minister in any area of the county, I would have just called my father
I thought you were in Florida. Aren't there more accepting churches down there?

Anyway, sorry about this experience for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities