Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 05:02 AM

39 posts, read 389,986 times

Advertisements

I looked into completing a career based "Certificate Program" at a local Community College to move ahead in my career and I was shocked at the number of these career programs out there. But I got concerned when I attended a class in one of the certificate program and found that there was no homework required, no grades (other than Pass/Fail) and no tests. Basically to get the certificate all you had to do is show up for class and warm the seat and be there 70% of the time during the term.

The students refused to participate in class or read the material between classes because they did not want to put in the extra effort. They also worked together during the break to try to figure out how many classes they could miss and still get credit. They just wanted the certificate, and were not interested in the learning. They warned the teacher that if he made the class to hard they would give him a poor rating in the instructor evaluation and get him fired!!! OMG!! What a sad state of affairs!

Is this typical to other certificate programs found at colleges? Do "Certificate Programs" have grades and homework assignments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 06:51 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,833,582 times
thos so called career programs are nothing but a certificate saying you went to their school. Most of them aren't worth the paper they're on. Check with US Education to see if the "school" is accredited. Also be warned, a lot of employers don't believe in those so called career certificates either. You go to the schools, they promise you a job, yes, you get one, one of their prerequisites for graduating is most of the time a six month internship, "at no pay" sometimes you get hired afterwards, most not. The business goes on to get another free employee and let the "intern" go. They all have some kind of out of school work.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:11 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,584,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life time student View Post
I looked into completing a career based "Certificate Program" at a local Community College to move ahead in my career and I was shocked at the number of these career programs out there. But I got concerned when I attended a class in one of the certificate program and found that there was no homework required, no grades (other than Pass/Fail) and no tests. Basically to get the certificate all you had to do is show up for class and warm the seat and be there 70% of the time during the term.

The students refused to participate in class or read the material between classes because they did not want to put in the extra effort. They also worked together during the break to try to figure out how many classes they could miss and still get credit. They just wanted the certificate, and were not interested in the learning. They warned the teacher that if he made the class too hard they would give him a poor rating in the instructor evaluation and get him fired!!! OMG!! What a sad state of affairs!

Is this typical to other certificate programs found at colleges? Do "Certificate Programs" have grades and homework assignments?
This sounds like continuing education. The classes are not "real" credit classes like regular college classes that you would take to earn a degree. Certificate programs can be continuing education classes or they can be made up of real college credit classes. I guess this one is continuing ed - and I think that's the issue, not that it's a certificate. Continuing ed classes are generally made up of older students and adults who already have full-time lives and jobs, and little time for homework or studying. Often they are focused on a career goal they are trying to achieve. I find that my continuing ed students almost never do homework or study, and there is little I can do to motivate them to do it. After all, I can't give a grade other than pass/fail, and the standards to pass are mostly just to attend a certain percentage of the class. However, I usually get good participation in class and I think the students want to learn - they just don't want to do a lot of work for it. I have never heard of anyone threatening to write a bad evaluation if the teacher made the class too hard - that's very strange. In all my years as a teacher I've only had students complain about not learning, never that the class was too hard. Perhaps it's just a bad bunch of this particular certificate program is not working the way it should.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:31 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
The certificate programs at the spousal unit's college involve the same classes as the degree programs. They're pretty much there for the student who wants to pick up some, say, computer programming skills or a child care certification without having to go back and take all the English or science classes required for the degree pathway.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:02 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,419,904 times
It depends on the school and the course as it does sound like continuing ed.
I took an online Six Sigma course for over a year which nearly killed me.
I took a classroom photography course which I could have slept thru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities