Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 PM

80 posts, read 438,096 times

Advertisements

I graduated with a degree in English, and am now looking into getting some kind of certificate in accounting.

I'm interested in this program they have at UCLA Extension. You take 1 or 2 years of accounting and business classes depending on how many business classes you've already taken. At the end of the program, you have the option of sitting for the CPA exam.

Is anyone familiar with this accounting program at UCLA? If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

The UCLA extension courses are REALLY expensive. I can get an accounting certificate at a community college for a lot less. But I'm thinking that UCLA Extension is more highly regarded among employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 08:07 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Just wondering....why didn't you just get a degree in accounting then?

Or just go back and get a second major, why bother with the certificate stuff. You already have your gen ed classes, so it should only take 2 years at the university.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:12 PM

Many universities don't have accounting majors. Mine didn't even have a business major.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:27 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
I would suggest just going for a Master's in Accounting; especially if the certificate is expensive. Some programs will accept you even if you Bachelor's was not in accounting or business.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:02 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
I knew someone who passed the CPA exam and didn't have an accounting degree, so it is possible. I think she had an english lit. degree.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
I would suggest just going for a Master's in Accounting; especially if the certificate is expensive. Some programs will accept you even if you Bachelor's was not in accounting or business.
I have a few reasons not to do that.

1. grad school is expensive
2. I'm a horrible candidate for any decent grad school. My GPA is mediocre...plus I have some Ws and D's on my transcript(my overall GPA is 3.1)
3. I have no one who could write me a letter of recommendation
4. I'd have to take the GMAT...

Overall, I just don't like my chances of getting into a top grad school for accounting.

This is why I'm leaning towards getting a certificate at UCLA extension...there is no requirement besides prereq classes in order to participate...and once you are done, you can sit for the CPA exam.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:37 AM

541 posts, read 1,902,875 times
I looked it up on their website and although it is approved by the California State Board of Accountancy I would have to question how challenging of a curriculum you are going to be taking being its an extension program. The CPA is no walk in the park...a lot of smart people have trouble passing it.

That said if you do pass the CPA exam most employers aren't going to care too much how you got it as long as you have it. I, however, don't foresee you getting a good job with a Big 4 or even a large middle market firm until you do pass the CPA exam so in that sense not having an accounting degree will hurt you. If you were to get an actual degree in accounting then you could go to work for one of these firms before you ever even decided to take the CPA exam. Also take into consideration to be designated CPA, most states require to you have to have 2-3 years of relative work experience as well.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
I looked it up on their website and although it is approved by the California State Board of Accountancy I would have to question how challenging of a curriculum you are going to be taking being its an extension program. The CPA is no walk in the park...a lot of smart people have trouble passing it.

That said if you do pass the CPA exam most employers aren't going to care too much how you got it as long as you have it. I, however, don't foresee you getting a good job with a Big 4 or even a large middle market firm until you do pass the CPA exam so in that sense not having an accounting degree will hurt you. If you were to get an actual degree in accounting then you could go to work for one of these firms before you ever even decided to take the CPA exam. Also take into consideration to be designated CPA, most states require to you have to have 2-3 years of relative work experience as well.
This UCLA program has an optional internship you can take for credits towards the certificate.

I would probably do the internship to help my chances of landing a decent job after the program.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:21 AM

541 posts, read 1,902,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSBlows View Post
This UCLA program has an optional internship you can take for credits towards the certificate.

I would probably do the internship to help my chances of landing a decent job after the program.

You should definitely do the internship. Most accounting firms almost expect for their new hires to have internship experience. Of course I am assuming you are looking to work for a big 4 or a large middle market firm.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 30,230 times
I would recommend the community college route. Employers know that UCLA Extension isn't UCLA. It's overpriced community college and it's not worth the money. Santa Monica City College has a Professional Accountant Certificate program that is for students with a bachelor's degree that want to take the CPA exam. The course offerings are what you'd expect to find at any four year business school: intermediate accounting, advanced accounting, auditing, cost accounting, income tax, corporate tax etc... Classes are only $20 a unit and they're all offered online. I am currently enrolled in this program and it is no cakewalk just because it's community college. I took accounting classes at Tulane and these are just as difficult if not more so. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities