Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:24 AM

126 posts, read 253,122 times

Advertisements

I think that the value of higher education this days is really questionable...
And i also know that if I don't have a college degree, eventually I will encounter a glass ceiling. what do you guys think? college or work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 02:20 PM

404 posts, read 1,148,785 times
I wouldn't say it's overrated but a college degree does not hold as much value as it has in the past. The perception is that if you go to college you will be handed a career on a silver platter upon graduation.

That's just not the case anymore. Myself and many of my friends that have graduated in the past 5-6 years have had hard times finding decent jobs. MOST of us have moved back in with our parents after graduation and worked crappy admin jobs. Many have resorted to careers outside of their majors. Most of us feel shortchanged because we thought it would be easy to land a job after graduation.

I dont believe colleges curriculum and teaching provides students with actual skills that can be used in the career field. A college degree helps employers perception of you as much as a nice suit helps your first impression. But not many people can say they use what they learn in college in the careers.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:28 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,659,392 times
Its mixed... my advice for people to consider... get an AA, and go to a trade school(assuming one interests you) Also in something that is a little less popular. Like seems there are that many electricians and such, but you see, culinary schools full of people.

Get a job with a bigger company, work hard, move up and see if they offer a program to help pay, finish the last two years up on company dime, then look to move up.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:34 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,109,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
The perception is that if you go to college you will be handed a career on a silver platter upon graduation.

That's just not the case anymore.
What an odd perception to have.

I'm not sure if that was ever really the case.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:35 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,826,742 times
I think it's hard to generalize about college degrees since outcomes are so variable. The poster above related the experience that he and many of his friends have had. Others can relate far different experiences.

I think the most important thing to remember is in this highly competitive job market is, a college degree alone is rarely enough. The internships and experiences you have during your time at college are extremely valuable. Employers like to hire recent grads who have some experience already under their belts. I know summer internships are difficult to get and are often unpaid. If they are not feasible for you, look for an on or off campus job that relates to the work you hope to do. If no jobs are available, look for volunteer opportunities you can do after classes or on weekends. You not only will make yourself stand out to employers, you may also make contacts that help you land that first job.

Good Luck!

Old 10-07-2011, 04:09 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,564,395 times
Wow, when were the college degree = job on a silver platter days? Must have missed that!

The numbers say that people that have a college degree earn more money. Lifetime Earnings Soar with Education – How a Higher Education Leads to Higher Lifetime Earnings

It's hard for anyone to get a job these days.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,952,864 times
No'Have three neieces who garduated the last three years.One three years ago and two promtions. Second was just promayed into management position, This year the last two had ytwo offers before she finished school and took one ;do well and loves the work.I think like always the right degree and good grades payoff.Stats also show this on unemployment and earnings.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:21 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,295,402 times
Definitely college, if you can go without racking up a lot of debt. Don't confuse education for life, which lasts as long as you do, whether you're rich or poor, with job training, which now has a shelf life of about six weeks and declining. A third aspect is the matter of a credential -- the degree itself -- which will probably help you in the long run, whatever you do. Also I second the recommendation that you work hard in college, max your grades, and then go as far into graduate school as your ability will allow (but again, only if you can do it without amassing a lot of debt).

Old 10-07-2011, 05:47 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,213,686 times
The one million dollar figure is misleading, the mean is obscured. They've used those numbers for decades. The market is constantly changing, be very careful before taking out loans. Now, a scholarship is different but the debt from some of these loans are so large they can, funny enough, prevent you from getting your foot in the door/bottom of the ladder entry job.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:03 PM

22,631 posts, read 47,774,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
The perception is that if you go to college you will be handed a career on a silver platter upon graduation.

That's just not the case anymore.
Anymore?
I don't feel that was ever the case....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities