Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 08:46 AM

454 posts, read 1,244,480 times

Advertisements

Yes its overrated and overpriced.

What employers want is people with skills who can get the job done for a good price. You don't necessarily need to go to school to get an education. My best employees were those who had a passion for the field and learned the skills on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 09:30 AM

360 posts, read 1,020,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
Yes its overrated and overpriced.

What employers want is people with skills who can get the job done for a good price. You don't necessarily need to go to school to get an education. My best employees were those who had a passion for the field and learned the skills on their own.
Tell that to the people I know with 20 years experience in their field but now can't get an interview because the job requirements have changed to "Bachelor's required, Master's preferred"

Old 10-19-2011, 10:07 AM

39 posts, read 135,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
Tell that to the people I know with 20 years experience in their field but now can't get an interview because the job requirements have changed to "Bachelor's required, Master's preferred"
Exactly,a lot of folks have worked there way up in jobs and are now getting laid off and in today's times no matter how much experience you have you need that paper to get a professional job.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:47 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,121,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
We're pretty much forced into it. I hate school but I want to have a chance to support a family in the future and I can't do that without a degree unless I'm "the next Lil Wayne" like Obama said. Either get into a load of debt and search for a job for 5 years, or be forced to drive a UPS truck for 40 years of your life. This is what we face.
Hey now, I drive a truck and make money off of that.
However, I'm willing to give mechanical or electrical engineering, along with a few vocations like welding and diesel tech a go as well.
I'm not going to stop working since I know that financial aid departments tend to look poorly on the "fail/repeat" of courses such as mathematics which I'm still relatively poor at.
Anywho, work full-time, school full or part-time and within 10 years or so I should be fully set.

At least by the time everyone else is pondering retirement, I'll already be set up for kick-back job in the back office or some other cozy place.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:20 AM

272 posts, read 209,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titan78 View Post
no matter how much experience you have you need that paper to get a professional job.
This is the lie that we're told. but it's not true.

watch this and see for yourself. College these days is a bad idea. you'd be better off starting your own business and save that money.

College Conspiracy - YouTube

Old 10-19-2011, 12:25 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,165,195 times
There are some misconceptions about college altogether..For one, and mind you that never in the history of our country has this been the case..They are now saying that in a lifetime people who don't go to college make more overall in a lifetime than college grarduates.

This was never the case twenty or thirty years ago or even ten years ago..They consider many things in factoring this. For one, they consider student loans. The cost of going to school beyond student loans. Travel/ books/ not working full time through those years/ clothes, etc. All of those things are factored in. Also, the lack of quality jobs for college graduates has never been higher.

They consider the fact that many people who never go to school get into some factory or something and by their mid twenties (around the age that a person graduates) they are making good money with no debt..

Also schools are about money today more than ever. They are misleading the youth, especially the youth who don't know what it is that they want to do. Take for example a bachelors degree in liberal arts. years ago it was good for atleast getting you into the door. Today-zilch. They are taking in too many kids for majors that don't have enough jobs just to make the school money. Knowing that these kids will most likely not find a job in said desired field. Another sort of con is the fields themselves. A good example would be a career in philosophy. Unless you are going to teach that at a college level, there really is no use for it.

I have a bachelors degree and recently have been unemployed. I have been losing jobs to people with no degree at all who sold shoes at Jc'Penny's. They considered those people as having "sales experience" ahead of four years of education. As if anyone couldn't be taught to sell shoes. Plus, many companies are going cheap. They don't want to hire someone with a degree for a few reasons. One, possibly the person hiring you might be threatened by you. Maybe he or she doesn't have an equivalent degree themselves. And two, they will have to pay you more. I have a friend who has no education besides highschool and he got a job thirteen years ago at a college as a computer tech. He makes over 45k a year with no higher education in a city with a low cost of living. Here and there, they will tell him that they want him to go to school and get a degree. Back then you didn't need one for his position, today you do. That he would be able to take classess for free where he works, but he keeps ignoring it and they don't really push it. I think in some sense that they need to justify his pay (even though he has been there 13 years) yet they don't push it, because on some level they know that they would have to pay him more..Personally, I think he's crazy. I would take a free college degree at a slow pace if I didn't have to pay it back and would make more money in the end. But he just doesn't want to. However, if he ever loses that job, he would not be able to get another one that pays that well since he has no degree.

And as far as the gentlemen who mentioned something about a person with a degree feeling like they could get a good job. I agree. I was sold this dellusion too. Let's face it, if we didn't think that we would have more offers and have more opportunities then why would we go to school. The school itself not only told me these lies, but my parents did. My parents both went to college and when they graduated 35 years ago, that was the reality. And who are we to kid that many people still believe in that reality. Am I entitled for thinking that I deserve a better job than my friend who can't write a complete sentence and has no degree, when I have a degree. Damn right. Right or wrong, that is how I feel. If I didn't waist over five years of my life studying, taking tests, writing papers, taking classess I didn't want to take just to get that degree than maybe I wouldn't feel that way. But the brutal truth is I do feel that way. Because I know that I busted my but and feel worthy of a good job.

That must be the new thing in todays day and age. Make people who work hard for their degree's feel bad for feeling entitled. That way we can manipulate them into settling for two fulltime minimum wage jobs to compensate for their not being any jobs in "said field" and they can go on suffering because of our lack of leadership in providing us with the truth about education and about the rich who have exploited our workforce for their own needs. It's all propaganda b.s. if you ask me. And the majority of the massess are falling for it. They are turning us against each other, instead of the real culprits.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 10-19-2011 at 12:44 PM..

Old 10-19-2011, 12:40 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,415,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gametime View Post
This is the lie that we're told. but it's not true.

watch this and see for yourself. College these days is a bad idea. you'd be better off starting your own business and save that money.
Starting your own business is not anywhere near a guarantee either. Once more almost all businesses are going to have fixed costs to get into Business and there is no guarantee it will last even a year or two and if you go out of business often you don't recover your substantial initial investment.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 10-19-2011 at 12:50 PM..

Old 10-19-2011, 01:00 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,863,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^I agree with the above, but I do have some "issues" with taking a "gap" year (suggested by others), in part b/c sometimes it becomes a "gap decade" or longer. Some HS grads find that earning $10/hr goes a long way when living at home w/o paying room and board, etc. Then they get married, have kids, take out a mortgage, etc only to find out there's no opportunity for job advancement w/o at least some post HS education. The first year of college is similar for many majors, so I think it's worth it to go right after HS unless a student is absolutely, postitively opposed to going.
I find the "gap year" to be more myth - true, I have met people who never went back to college after taking the "year off", but truth be told, they really weren't in college for the right reasons.

I have known way too many people who took time off to work (like myself) where being a "working person" was a real eye-opener- and was the kick in the rear end that was needed and got back into school a little more mature and wiser and focused on why we were there.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
There are some misconceptions about college altogether..For one, and mind you that never in the history of our country has this been the case..They are now saying that in a lifetime people who don't go to college make more overall in a lifetime than college grarduates.
This is true.

Quote:
That must be the new thing in todays day and age. Make people who work hard for their degree's feel bad for feeling entitled. That way we can manipulate them into settling for two fulltime minimum wage jobs to compensate for their not being any jobs in "said field" and they can go on suffering because of our lack of leadership in providing us with the truth about education and about the rich who have exploited our workforce for their own needs. It's all propaganda b.s. if you ask me. And the majority of the massess are falling for it. They are turning us against each other, instead of the real culprits.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-20-2011 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 10-19-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Starting your own business is not anywhere near a guarantee either. Once more almost all businesses are going to have fixed costs to get into Business and there is no guarantee it will last even a year or two and if you go out of business often you don't recover your substantial initial investment.
It's more a gurantee than sitting around waitng for a phone call to hire you in your field of study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities