Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:14 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,641,964 times

Advertisements

College is a must if you want to have a real career, right? Nope, it’s “a scam, a self-perpetuating Ponzi scheme that needs to stop right now,” writes James Altucher for DailyFinance.com. Here are his seven reasons you shouldn’t send your kids:

•It’ll cost more than you think: Thanks to the fact that more than 60% of college students will take more than 4 years to wear that cap and gown.

Read more: Skip College: Seven Reasons You Should Save Money and Not Send Your Kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 09:23 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,012,735 times
Yep, that guy is a moron. Lovely how he pulls random numbers out of his arse. The average college kid doesn't spend $200,000, sorry.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:28 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
the fact that the OP has posted this article is most encouraging. americans are much smarter than 50 years ago.
they are smarter than 3 years ago. which is when i started posting-- telling people to stop signing up for 1/4 million student loans to get non existant high prestige jobs.
most want an advanced degree and a high prestige career. most need a low cost debt free good paying trade. nurse, plumber, electrician--- that sort of thing. readily available cheap thru jr college.
was listening to KPBS this morning. lots of talk of deflation, 1929 stuff. we are unprepared, those in debt will perish.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:40 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,651,067 times
$200,000???? My Bachelors AND two associates degrees cost me less than $20,000.

Of course, I did all my core stuff at the local Jr. College, worked full time while attending and spent much of my spare time applying for grants and scholarships to cover my cost. But even if I had done the 'normal' route, it wouldn't have cost me $200,000.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:29 PM

207 posts, read 964,128 times
My undergrad education actually did cost $200,000, but I didn't pay it. The school I went to was over $50,000/year but most of it was covered by grants and scholarships. I got an excellent education that certainly wasn't a mistake and have been able to continue on to get a higher degree (again, fully funded) because of the advantage going to that school gave me. I could have gone to a cheaper place but I wouldn't have gotten the quality of education that I did there, or the connections that will help me throughout my life. It's obvious that anyone who says "Don't go to college" either didn't go or had a bad experience and has a chip on their shoulder. Or they went to a terrible school and can't find a job and thus want to eliminate competition. Most people who go to expensive schools don't pay for it out of pocket, and those who do obviously had the resources in the beginning and will continue to be financially well-off no matter what.
I posted it on the other board where they had this article and I'll say it again: College gives young adults the critical opportunity to learn how to be independent, care for themselves on their own, manage their time and mature into productive members of society while earning a degree that will give them the opportunity to do so. If someone doesn't want that for their kid then I have to wonder why they even had one.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:40 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,430,135 times
I dropped out of college after one year because I couldn't afford it. 2 weeks later, I landed a job at a bank and have been there ever since--that was 6 years ago. I make more than any of my college graduate high school friends, plus I'm not $50,000 in debt from student loans!

Not going to college worked out really well for me, but it won't for everyone. Some people need the piece of paper.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:46 PM

369 posts, read 777,736 times
In todays world a degree is viewed as the new standard. It's very tough to get a career that can pay the bills without either a trade certification or some type of college degree. Of course, in this tough economy, getting either of these doesn't ensure you getting a job.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:00 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,389,406 times
Loved the part about getting a job instead. Yeah, working at McDonald's will sure be an opportunity of a lifetime.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:41 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,832,041 times
The report provides no statistics on alternatives. While I agree that college can be a waste of money if the student has no clear career goals, the math just doesn't add up if you were to compare someones lifetime earning potential who traveled the world for 4 years vs someone who got a degree that finds employment which depends on having that degree.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:20 AM

964 posts, read 3,162,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Yep, that guy is a moron. Lovely how he pulls random numbers out of his arse. The average college kid doesn't spend $200,000, sorry.
Hah, I wish I HAD $200,000 to spend. I'd have me a new car and my tuition for four years paid off plus PLENTY left over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities