Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 08:25 AM

10,835 posts, read 14,951,507 times

Advertisements

Bloomberg knows best: New York mayor tells 'so-so' students to skip college and become plumbers | Mail Online

Quote:
The billionaire has advised 'so-so' students to avoid expensive college fees and learn a practical skill like plumbing

Plumbing is also good because it can't be outsourced or done by computer, he advised

By Daily Mail Reporter

PUBLISHED: 09:34 EST, 18 May 2013 | UPDATED: 09:35 EST, 18 May 2013

snip
I never side with Bloomberg on anything but there is a first time for everything.

But what so many miss is there are other career fields other than plumbing and electricians in fields few are aware even exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 08:57 AM

844 posts, read 1,659,377 times
Very insightful.

I would add that community colleges could play a bigger role in preparing kids for better careers at a reasonable cost.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:57 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,331,235 times
Duplicate thread.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:02 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,682,485 times
I have never agreed with anything that comes out of Bloomberg's mouth, but I have to agree with him on this one. The cost of tuition at colleges continues to rise and with it student debt. Those coming out of college have such huge debt and little hopes of employment in their field. They are unable to buy cars or homes or save money because of the student debt. I don't understand the ridiculous cost of a college education today. So I agree with him, get an education in something that you will be able to get a job without huge student loans.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:03 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,850,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Bloomberg knows best: New York mayor tells 'so-so' students to skip college and become plumbers | Mail Online

I never side with Bloomberg on anything but there is a first time for everything.

But what so many miss is there are other career fields other than plumbing and electricians in fields few are aware even exist.
I guess a broken clock is right twice a day. The "everybody must go to college" mentality in this country is absolutely ridiculous. I remember in high school it was assumed by teachers, parents, and other students that you would go to college after graduating. That is just what you do, or you will be working at McDonald's for the rest of your life. What you end up with are a bunch of mediocre students loading up on debt, majoring in easy subjects like English, Art History, or Women/Gay/African Studies, then end up having to take a McJob (which is what they were trying to avoid in the first place) while being saddled with a mountain of debt that will never be paid off. Germany has a better system. At the end of junior high, all of the students take a test that determines if they will go to trade school or college. You either go one route or the other. Parents' egos and school guidance counselors have nothing to do with the decision. Either way, the student will be able to make a living as tradesmen and white collar professionals are paid a living wage over there.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I guess a broken clock is right twice a day. The "everybody must go to college" mentality in this country is absolutely ridiculous. I remember in high school it was assumed by teachers, parents, and other students that you would go to college after graduating. That is just what you do, or you will be working at McDonald's for the rest of your life. What you end up with are a bunch of mediocre students loading up on debt, majoring in easy subjects like English, Art History, or Women/Gay/African Studies, then end up having to take a McJob (which is what they were trying to avoid in the first place) while being saddled with a mountain of debt that will never be paid off. Germany has a better system. At the end of junior high, all of the students take a test that determines if they will go to trade school or college. You either go one route or the other. Parents' egos and school guidance counselors have nothing to do with the decision. Either way, the student will be able to make a living as tradesmen and white collar professionals are paid a living wage over there.
Canada has some great technical schools. I've heard that some college graduates went there to learn real skills in workplace. The previous bachelor degree from a reputated universities proved to be less marketable to employers.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:33 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,506,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Germany has a better system. At the end of junior high, all of the students take a test that determines if they will go to trade school or college.
That's a terrible, as well as depressing system. We don't need "a test" to determine someone's career path in life... This is what China does, as well as most other second/third world countries, and look how well-structured their economies turned out. Our current system in the US works fine, where the colleges act as the gate keepers for citizens. That's how it should be.

The REAL problem is two-fold: 1) We live in a culture where college is promoted to kids as the only way to live a comfortable lifestyle, and 2) For-profit and low selectivity colleges continue to flood the market with useless degrees.

In my opinion, overhauling the regulations to our existing system is the best way to curb the number of college graduates and gently nudge the so-so students into different careers. Start by requiring admissions floors for all universities.. colleges must only admit students with a minimum of such-and-such stats (if schools want to have higher stats, that's fine), AND that this regulation apply to for-profit colleges. No more open admissions for four year degrees. Furthermore, for-profit colleges should be required by law to administer college-level competency exams in math, science, and english prior to graduation, and/or require all for-profit colleges to satisfy national/regional or program-specific accreditation requirements. Absolutely no more diploma mills.

Last edited by ryanst530; 05-20-2013 at 01:47 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 01:48 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,540,851 times
Typical elitist comment from Bloomberg. I am not surprised and no, I do not agree.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:53 PM

12,111 posts, read 23,318,667 times
I don't know how things are in NY but around here there are more tradesmen than there are jobs in the trades, so being a tradesman doesn't guarantee you steady employement, let alone a job.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I don't know how things are in NY but around here there are more tradesmen than there are jobs in the trades, so being a tradesman doesn't guarantee you steady employement, let alone a job.
In this economy, unless you go to a medical school, there are always more candidates than positions available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities