Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 03:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The manager in a high performing franchise in a major metro area gets that easily. Even Dominoe's Pizza managers pull down over $80K.
Please provide some documentation for that. I live in a major metro area. I once worked at a mathernity clinic where you had to qualify for care by having a low enough income. We had lots of fast-food managers and their spouses as patients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 08:28 PM

56 posts, read 284,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I think that college is a waste of time for most simply because they are going for degrees that they believe are 'hot' and will earn them the most money. Or their passion is mis-guided and they are going to a top college to get a degree that would hold the same earning potential as one from a tier-four university.

I am fully aware of this. Unfortunately, without a degree in science, my chances of working in the marine/ocean sciences outside of being a gopher or someone who simply deploys/retrieves equipment is nil. Old Boy's Club is the name of the game, and as such, I am willing to play.

Vocational school in the trades is a good way to save some $$ while learning the skills, getting a cert., that could potentially bring in the same money that an advanced degree would bring in, but the problem is that too many people are going to vo-tech school right now. So many people are going to two year schools for HVAC, plumbing, welding, construction, etc. that the job market is getting flooding. No different than getting a 4-year in business or some other shtiz that everyone else and their grandmother goes to college for.

The fact remains that there are simply more people than jobs. Period. You can blame the Stock Market, or the Chinese, or the effin' Moon, it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter who is President or which political or corporate ideology runs the show; unless human beings start dying off in massive numbers, there will always be more qualified people who are out of work than jobs available. Out-sourcing has nothing to do with it. It is a sheer numbers game.
There are more people than jobs because a lot of those people are qualified for jobs in the US that have been shipped overseas. I understand your point about not playing the blame game, and I do agree with you that sustainability is certainly becoming a problem. However if you think the president and outsourcing have nothing to do with unemployment numbers, you are kidding yourself.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:08 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trah332 View Post
There are more people than jobs because a lot of those people are qualified for jobs in the US that have been shipped overseas. I understand your point about not playing the blame game, and I do agree with you that sustainability is certainly becoming a problem. However if you think the president and outsourcing have nothing to do with unemployment numbers, you are kidding yourself.
Of course outsourcing affects our unemployment rates, but jobs are outsourced because there are more qualified people for the position and companies are only looking after their bottom line, anyway.

Look at it like this: Company X needs some IT personnel. As it stands, there are tons of qualified people in the US alone who are qualified for these positions. And, as that stands, Company X has the pick of the litter and has the luxury to pay its workers less simply because THEY KNOW that if American A does not like the rate of pay, American B would take it in a minute. Now, when you have countries like India and China that have 800 million and 1,000 million more people respectively than the US, you have even more qualified people for the job, and if a US company can save a few more dollars by hiring someone from India or China, then they are going to do it.

I am not a Conservative, but I agree that Obama is doing an abysmal job handling the unemployment situation. But that is for the Politics Forum.

It's not black and white. Really, nothing in life is. There are so many different perspectives on any single topic that it is mind boggling. What affects me and my life may go unnoticed by you. I know people that went to school for computer science, computer tech, etc. who are working odd jobs or kept their restaurant/bar job because they can't get anything in their field. I also know people who taught themselves 'computer stuff' or graphic design, or whatever similar who are working in those fields, even though they did not receive any formal training or schooling. Go figure.

You know, it is my opinion that there are too many people who do not belong in college that are in attendance, and many more people who would benefit most from a college education that will never attend. Those who believe that it is the be-all-end-all road or solution to job security or financial well-being are only fooling themselves and have no one else to blame when their plans do not work out as hoped. I am fully aware that I am taking a huge risk by going back to school myself, and while I hope it will pay off in my favor, I understand that I am going into something that generally does not offer much in the way of salary, and, that, it could all fall flat on its face.

Yes, I would be bummed. Yes, I would be pissed. Yet, I would only have myself to blame and I have thought about this hard for near two years before I even begin making plans to go back to school. I may be foolish, but I am not blind.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:46 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The manager in a high performing franchise in a major metro area gets that easily. Even Dominoe's Pizza managers pull down over $80K.
A manager at corporate HQ maybe, or a higher-level regional manager - both of whom are more likely than not to have college degrees.

But a regular manager of one or two stores? Keep dreaming if you think someone in that job will see anything close to $80K.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:46 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Of course outsourcing affects our unemployment rates, but jobs are outsourced because there are more qualified people for the position and companies are only looking after their bottom line, anyway.
This certainly wasn't true when outsourcing IT jobs began in earnest in the late 1990's, right when I started out on the help desk. The Indians on the line were not at all more qualified; they were way less qualified. It wasn't until consumer complaints about thick accents, poor customer service, and shoddy troubleshooting skills started trickling in that some of these jobs slowly started coming back to the U.S. I'd agree with the second part of your statement, though, because, don't kid yourself, that's the only thing it boils down to.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:02 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Author's Reason #4 You can retire with more: Say, “an extra $1 million to $3 million in the bank with basically no effort.”

The author's fantastic advice is to be selfish? That is hardly a redeemable quality in a parent.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:13 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
This certainly wasn't true when outsourcing IT jobs began in earnest in the late 1990's, right when I started out on the help desk. The Indians on the line were not at all more qualified; they were way less qualified. It wasn't until consumer complaints about thick accents, poor customer service, and shoddy troubleshooting skills started trickling in that some of these jobs slowly started coming back to the U.S. I'd agree with the second part of your statement, though, because, don't kid yourself, that's the only thing it boils down to.
Highly depends on the field. Its true that some outsourcing services are spotty. However its not an accurate representation of the industry. Even in the US you can hire someone and still get bad results from it. Same story with outsourcing. You just have to make sure your standards are high and you get rid of those who don't meet your standards.

For the company hiring help desk they just need to enforce a policy of having a US accent, good customer service skills and good troubleshooting skills. Trust me, there is more than enough people in India to fill the positions with those qualifications.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:20 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
A manager at corporate HQ maybe, or a higher-level regional manager - both of whom are more likely than not to have college degrees.

But a regular manager of one or two stores? Keep dreaming if you think someone in that job will see anything close to $80K.
If it is indeed a high-performing store, I could probably see about $75K tops. Store managers do make more than a lot of people probably think, but not $100K

Old 08-17-2010, 03:42 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
College should be more than just a means to an end.

I loved my time in college and it only cost $~20,000.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:02 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
If it is indeed a high-performing store, I could probably see about $75K tops. Store managers do make more than a lot of people probably think, but not $100K
I've worked in retail management, and even the Store manager of our rather busy, high dollar earning Orange big box store only made around 65K....and he was working 60 hour weeks minimum. Not worth it, really.

I managed a convenience store and was required by contract to put in 50 hours a week and my salary boiled down to $12 an hour.

Retail management sucks regardless of where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities