Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 04:11 PM

15,906 posts, read 21,548,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Heck several top schools don't even offer undergraduate degrees in business. Otherwise agree though.
Mine didn't. We had a small, underdeveloped minor program with a clear focus for finance (most people in the program double majored in economics and either computer science or international studies with a minor in business to shoot for big NYC financial firms). This year is the first year they are offering a business program.

The theory is that there is nothing you can learn in a generic business major that you can't gain from a combination of liberal arts majors and internships. Unfortunately, many hiring managers aren't willing to think of it that way and are demanding majors such as HR and business communications for entry level positions in those fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 06:04 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,399,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The theory is that there is nothing you can learn in a generic business major that you can't gain from a combination of liberal arts majors and internships. Unfortunately, many hiring managers aren't willing to think of it that way and are demanding majors such as HR and business communications for entry level positions in those fields.
I understand why that is though--certainly there are a lot of people who do investing as a hobby and have a very good grasp on financial markets etc. That said, a bachelor's degree in a given field shows that you should at least have a good grasp on the necessary information, whereas simply taking someone's word for it that they know what they're doing is much more risky.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:53 PM

207 posts, read 965,491 times
Another very important point is that - for a variety of reasons - employers in every sector and every field are now demanding a Bachelor's degree as a bare minimum requirement for jobs that used to require only a high school degree. Maybe we're raising our standards, or maybe we've lost faith in a public education system that seems to either leave people behind or hold them back, but unfortauntely nowadays a lot of employers require a college degree just to make sure the potential employee knows how to tie their shoes, speak coherently and perform menial tasks. It's become the standard because with anything less than that, the employer isn't confident that they will get someone who might be capable. College is the new high school, and it's probably never going to change or go back to the way it once was, when high school was enough.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:28 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
I disagree with the last part--the prize behind the price is that one can get into certain industries (like i-banking) simply by where they went to school. Heck several top schools don't even offer undergraduate degrees in business. Otherwise agree though.
When I was in college, it was the football players who majored in business; this at a D1 school. It was not a major for the serious-minded.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:02 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,425,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
Hah, I wish I HAD $200,000 to spend. I'd have me a new car and my tuition for four years paid off plus PLENTY left over.
Same here with $200K I would have my JD and UG paid for and enough for a townhouse to boot.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:25 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,307,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
College can be a waste of time...
I think that college is a waste of time for most simply because they are going for degrees that they believe are 'hot' and will earn them the most money. Or their passion is mis-guided and they are going to a top college to get a degree that would hold the same earning potential as one from a tier-four university.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
As I pointed out a career that utilizes a specific degree does not necessarily pay more than one that does not ie Science.

It is more worthwhile to get vocational training like welding, plumbing, cable TV installation than spend 6 years getting a MS Chem from a university and get paid less than a janitor with no benefits.
I am fully aware of this. Unfortunately, without a degree in science, my chances of working in the marine/ocean sciences outside of being a gopher or someone who simply deploys/retrieves equipment is nil. Old Boy's Club is the name of the game, and as such, I am willing to play.

Vocational school in the trades is a good way to save some $$ while learning the skills, getting a cert., that could potentially bring in the same money that an advanced degree would bring in, but the problem is that too many people are going to vo-tech school right now. So many people are going to two year schools for HVAC, plumbing, welding, construction, etc. that the job market is getting flooding. No different than getting a 4-year in business or some other shtiz that everyone else and their grandmother goes to college for.

The fact remains that there are simply more people than jobs. Period. You can blame the Stock Market, or the Chinese, or the effin' Moon, it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter who is President or which political or corporate ideology runs the show; unless human beings start dying off in massive numbers, there will always be more qualified people who are out of work than jobs available. Out-sourcing has nothing to do with it. It is a sheer numbers game.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:36 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,189,975 times
I have roughly $25,000 in student loans after four years of (private) college and a completed B.A. I got a lot of help from scholarships, state and federal grants, and to a lesser extent, parents, and just to go against the "I worked 40 hours while attending full time" posts that these threads seem to conjure up, I am proud to say I barely worked at all during college, giving me more time to study and play on the internet. Even if I paid it all myself, though, it would not come to $200,000, but more like $106,000. Of course, I lived with my parents.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:37 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,836,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
As I pointed out a career that utilizes a specific degree does not necessarily pay more than one that does not ie Science.

It is more worthwhile to get vocational training like welding, plumbing, cable TV installation than spend 6 years getting a MS Chem from a university and get paid less than a janitor with no benefits.
You're really relentless on your experience being absolute. Mine has been much different in engineering/medicine.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:41 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,715,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The fact remains that there are simply more people than jobs. Period. You can blame the Stock Market, or the Chinese, or the effin' Moon, it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter who is President or which political or corporate ideology runs the show; unless human beings start dying off in massive numbers, there will always be more qualified people who are out of work than jobs available. Out-sourcing has nothing to do with it. It is a sheer numbers game.
I agree on the blame part, in that there are several factors contributing to the current state of the economy, but it wasn't "always" true that there was a lack of jobs. It's only become true within the past few years, in fact. Outsourcing certainly has something to do with it, especially in IT, the field I started my career in. It was heavily affected by outsourcing. My climb up that ladder in the late 1990's was abruptly aborted thanks to it, forcing me to go in another direction.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:23 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,763,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I worked as a finance guy in the corporate HQ of a major US fast food company for a while, and I sure don't know where you came up with that number...
The manager in a high performing franchise in a major metro area gets that easily. Even Dominoe's Pizza managers pull down over $80K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities