Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 08:37 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,917,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
No Im in a bowl pick'em so I picked Hawaii in this game but hopefully it wont hurt overall.

Like you I thought Hawaii would put up some points, I mean Notre Dame lost to Syracuse. I also figured spending time in Hawaii might be a bit of a distraction. Looks like I guessed wrong.
Oh, that's good, so no actual $ is at stake.

Yeah, after ND self destructed at home against a terrible Syracuse team ... but wow, maybe ND turned a corner and will be a top 25 team next year.

And I know they want to break that 9-game Bowl losing streak (their last Bowl win in 1993).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 02:03 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Here in south Louisiana there's a brewing controversy over the Independence bowl picks. The Independence Bowl signed a contract stating that if there aren't any bowl eligible teams in their main divisions then they will take a Sun Belt conference team that is bowl eligible. They already had Louisiana Tech. But instead of picking Louisiana at Lafayette (Ragin Cajuns), they picked a team from far north with the same win/loss record. The people running the Independence bowl had the opportunity to select two bowl eligible teams whose fans are within driving distance of the stadium to sell out the game with an in-state rivalry. Instead they picked a team who has said they won't be able to sell their allotted tickets and most fans won't bother to make the trip. Since this bowl game receives hundreds of thousands of dollars from the state of Louisiana, state legislatures are already saying the people who operate this bowl will need to provide a valid reason why they went against their agreement and selected another team instead of the one that was available and could help them to sell out the game.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:42 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
There's far too many bowl games and that lessens the importance of any and all of them.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:12 AM

^ Have the # of Bowl games increased in recent years? If so, yes, it does water them down a bit. Heck, it just takes a 6-6 record to get in. : \

Old 12-25-2008, 01:27 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
I knew HI's defense is nothing to write home about, but I figured they'd have enough offense to beat the mediocre ND, esp. since it's in HI. Damn. Maybe Charlie W. is fired up since his job is safe once again. I hope you didn't bet too much $.
I'm infuriated by the ND game. Why now???? They freaking lost to Syracuse and North Carolina for crying out loud. I'm an ND fan, but I am not proud of that win at all. Shame on Charlie Weis and his inconsistent coaching. Or maybe it's because he had his fan can of Crisco up in the booth, or maybe it's because they put the names back on the uniforms. In any event, I hope Large Charles coaches all next season from the booth.

I also see that Mike Heywood is now the coach of Miami of Ohio, so Big Chuck had to call the plays.

Whatever, it got the bowl monkey off their backs.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:09 PM

^ Yeah, maybe this will send ND off to a good start next year and help their recruiting class, as well. And now that Weis' job is stable, maybe he'll coach better. (Do you think he earned a new extension after the big Bowl win? j/k! )

Old 12-26-2008, 11:22 AM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
This NCSU fan would like to see rival UNC beat West Virginia tomorrow for the ACC! And then see the Pack beat the Rutgers Scarlet Knights!

Old 12-26-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
This NCSU fan would like to see rival UNC beat West Virginia tomorrow for the ACC! And then see the Pack beat the Rutgers Scarlet Knights!
No way, the Big East will prevail in both games!

Go RU! I'll be watching w/ fellow alumni on Mon. afternoon.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:17 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post

Now that was a great game.

I also thought Miami would be getting blown out tonight, with their starting QB and some other players suspended. However they are showing up. I love bowl season

Old 12-28-2008, 12:36 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
I agree with bowls being watered down.

That being said, though, I love College Football, and, money for the bowls does not come out of my pocket, so they can have as many as they want. I like seeing so of the matchups you would never see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football