Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:37 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 23,026,419 times

Advertisements

This will be the first requested thread from me, which is giving me ideas.....

Anyway, let's grade how good your college football teams did in 2008.

My school: TCU

2008 Season
Offense: B-
Deffense: A
Special Teams: C+
Coaching: A
Fan Support: B-
Overall: B

Comments:
TCU finnished (11-2) with high hopes for the future of the program. Just 15 years ago, the Frogs were one of the worst teams in America. Now, with a #7 ranking in the final poles and some renewed respect around the nation, TCU is one of the best non-BCS schools around. If it weren't for a loss to Oklahoma and two missed field goals, they'd be in the Sugar Bowl, instead of Utah. The Frogs deffense was the lifeline of the team, holding the National Champion runners up to just 35 points.
With time and constant winning seasons, TCU could eventually become a Big XII school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 12:58 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,312,065 times
Texas

Offense: A- ( I would go A but we need a RB beside Colt)

Defense: C+ (most of our games we just outscored the other team rather than stop them. Also they allowed Tech to drive and win the game in the last second costing us a shot at the title.

Special Teams: B (Every now and then we would return a kick or get set up in good field position.)

Coaching: B+ (I cant recall any moves Mack did that I wasn't happy about but I'm sure there were some.)

Fan Support: A+ (Broke attendance records 3 times this season and passion was clear in the 45-35 campaign)

Overall: A (this team went farther than most thought it would at the start of the year)

We are getting most of our key guys back in 2009. We lost Orakpo and Cosby as well as some other guys. However Colt is back one of his favorite WR in Shippley is back. If we can get a RB established and our DB's mature and step up I think we can make another run in 09.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:41 PM

8,832 posts, read 10,327,386 times
Thanks JJG
NC State

Offense- A: improved big time this season, our QB, Russell Wilson may turn out to be better than Philip Rivers did. He's an accurate passer, only had one interception this season which was in garbage time, and can run the ball very well. Around 400 rushing yards and 4 rushing TD's, threw for 17 this season.

Defense- B: For the most part great, but on the field too long at times

Special Teams- B+: Every season we tend to have 2-3 return kickoffs lead to a Touchdown. I can only think of 1 this season, in the Boston College game. Big ups to our kicker who stopped a Miami receiver from reaching the end-zone too

Coaching- A+: Tom O'Brien made the decision to play Wilson as a freshman looked genius to me. He also fired up the team in November to help us rally off 4 straight wins to save our season and reach a bowl game.

Fan Support-A: Same as it's always been, but definetly some excitment in the air. It was great to hear the WolfPack chant in Chapel Hill

Overall- B: We won the "State championship" this season, as well as beating 3 ranked teams this season. We did not get off to a good start, but we turned it around on our week off on November 1st. Exciting wins over Wake Forest and ECU, and a 41-10 beating of our biggest rival UNC, at their place was awesome. We didn't win our bowl game, but I think it was good for us to get to one as we "choked" last season and missed out.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:14 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,793,170 times
Arkansas Razorbacks

Offense - B
Defense - C
Special Teams - C
Coaching - B+
Fan Support - A

This young crop of piglets actually did much better than anyone in Razorback Nation really anticipated. We did modestly well in some big game situations and, had it not been for dropping some of the supposedly easier games on the schedule, could have been bowl eligible. Coach Petrino did what was expected and not let us have a complete disaster of a season. The offense showed some occasional firepower despite having little in the way of a running game. The defense was as porous as a sieve and rarely showed much backbone. The honeymoon is over though and a bowl will be necessary next year. Fans are also weary of not having won a conference title since entering the SEC. Next year will probably not be close to that but it is expected of Petrino to pull that off sooner than later.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:48 PM

288 posts, read 922,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Texas

Offense: A- ( I would go A but we need a RB beside Colt)

Defense: C+ (most of our games we just outscored the other team rather than stop them. Also they allowed Tech to drive and win the game in the last second costing us a shot at the title.

Special Teams: B (Every now and then we would return a kick or get set up in good field position.)

Coaching: B+ (I cant recall any moves Mack did that I wasn't happy about but I'm sure there were some.)

Fan Support: A+ (Broke attendance records 3 times this season and passion was clear in the 45-35 campaign)

Overall: A (this team went farther than most thought it would at the start of the year)

We are getting most of our key guys back in 2009. We lost Orakpo and Cosby as well as some other guys. However Colt is back one of his favorite WR in Shippley is back. If we can get a RB established and our DB's mature and step up I think we can make another run in 09.
I give UT's defense a B- or B. The DL was dominating and much of the time made up for a young, mediocre secondary. The UT defense was 20th in scoring defense among all D1A schools even after facing some of the most prolific offenses.

The keys to success next year will rest on post-Orakpo DL and a maturing secondary on the defense, and whether we have a productive pass-catching TE and a decent running game on the offense.

Pretty much agree w/ the rest of your post

Old 01-16-2009, 04:04 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,312,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
I give UT's defense a B- or B. The DL was dominating and much of the time made up for a young, mediocre secondary. The UT defense was 20th in scoring defense among all D1A schools even after facing some of the most prolific offenses.

The keys to success next year will rest on post-Orakpo DL and a maturing secondary on the defense, and whether we have a productive pass-catching TE and a decent running game on the offense.

Pretty much agree w/ the rest of your post
Thank you

Yea, I think our main problem was just inexperience in the secondary,which hopefully after a season they will be improved. It seems like we used Shippley alot in place of a good TE, so I agree it would be nice to have another target for Colt.

I cannot wait for 2009 season to start.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:32 PM

11,970 posts, read 25,621,375 times

My school: Louisville Cardinals

2008 Season
Offense: F-
Deffense: F-
Special Teams: F-
Coaching: F-----
Fan Support: C
Overall: F-

Comments:
The Steve Kragthorpe train wreck continued in 2008, culminating with U of L's first losing season in 11 years and a second straight year without a bowl - after going to a bowl every year since 1998. Starting QB Hunter Cantwell had looked pretty good when subbing for an injured Brian Brohm in 2005. In 2008 Kragthorpe's horrible coaching was apparent in Cantwell, who had as many interceptions as touchdowns.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:27 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,538,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
This Will Not Be Pretty.

My school: Washington

2008 Season
  • Offense: D- (bad playcalling, bad roster management, bad blocking)
  • Defense: F (couldn't tackle, couldn't rush passer, not even too consistent about having 11 guys on field)
  • Special Teams: C- (brightened only by some good kick/punt returns)
  • Coaching: F (because they cannot be given a G or H)
  • Fan Support: D (stadium often half full; amazing anyone could bear to watch)
  • Overall: F (if 0-12 isn't a solid F, what can be?)

Comments:
UW finished 0-12 in 2008, losing even to the arch-rival WSU in overtime and taking yet another ugly whipping from greatly hated Oregon. While the Huskies had a chance to beat BYU early in the season, they were essentially never in any of their other ten games. So many alltime worsts were shattered on Montlake this year that it would take some research to list them all; suffice it to say this was unquestionably the worst team in the program's history.

While some blame talented running QB Jake Locker's broken thumb for the Huskies' long slide, close observers of the program knew the problem went deeper. While talent levels were lower than during the glory years, coaches' job is to develop the talent they have. There was virtually no aspect of the Huskies' coaching that merited any accolades, and the fanbase's angry divide between 'Posidawgs' (generally pro-Willingham) and 'Negadawgs' (fire Willingham) resolved itself into a near-unanimous call for Tyrone Willingham's scalp, which they got after the Dawgs' 7th and bowl-eliminating loss.

The only beneficiaries of UW's season outside the Pac-10 (besides the non-conference opponents who racked up easy kills against the Huskies) were Notre Dame fans who have received many profuse apologies from penitent Husky fans who once thought ND had given Willingham a raw deal. Most of them now think we instead got a Raw Dawg.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:13 PM

11,887 posts, read 37,055,680 times
Oklahoma

• Offense: A+
  • Defense: B-
  • Special Teams: C-
  • Coaching: A
  • Fan Support: A
  • Overall: A-

Old 01-18-2009, 12:26 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,098,140 times
North Carolina

Offense: B-
Defense: B
Special Teams: B-
Coaching: A-
Fan Support: B
Overall: A+++
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football