Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2023, 06:54 AM

3,997 posts, read 2,368,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctousley819 View Post
As close to fact at can be:

"No way undefeated FSU is left out"
"Win and your in"

Above said by a couple of prominent ESPN guys championship week.

Sunday morning before the reveal their tunes changed. Why? Because ESPN told them to because there was not a chance in hell SEC would be left out. And you couldn't let Bama in without letting Texas in. So FSU, actually Travis Jordan, was the scapegoat.
I mentioned the bolded part myself. Was mildly surprised FSU was left out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2023, 07:00 AM

7,597 posts, read 6,095,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
College football is a total s#*! show right now. I am going back to NFL until they figure things out. Conference re-alignment, transfer portal, NIL.... a complete circus. FSU being left out, so blatantly, in favor of ratings & money, has totally defiled the sport. It was the last nail in the coffin.... for me.

ESPN owns and runs the CFP; also, they basically are the current owners of the SEC -with their exclusive TV contract/rights. Hmmmm, do you think maybe a slight conflict of interest there Can't believe so many of their talking heads are ok with it and go along with it, and try to convince the public that it is "ok" because... and they seem to freely admit this on air (I'll give them that)..... "it's about TV and entertainment". In general, yes, sports is about entertainment. But, selecting playoff teams should not be based on their ability to entertain, it should be based on results ON THE FIELD..... it's why they play the games. They have taken all the sport out of "sports entertainment".

If they want to pick playoff teams based on brand value, ratings potential, and Vegas odds, as they have officially and unbashedly done here, then WHY PLAY THE GAMES?

Leaving FSU out in favor of AL = total money grab... pure and simple. They have ruined the sanctity of the sport. They have dishonored every past, present, and future competitor and athlete. A total farce, an abomination.

Note, under current conditions the 12 team playoff ain't gonna change much.... different setting, same story.
100% Agree

EXCEPT That we started watching Canadian Football from the Beginning this year. My "Football Fix" did not have to wait i until September and include the All Star Games....If I skip all but three of the Bowls then I am fine.
Likewise, I have watched I think 5 NFL games total this season. No big deal. I still make picks, read the news and follow the standings and root for MY FINZ but soon, the CFL Schedule will come out and we will make a trip to the Great White North to see a CFL game in person next year.
In September, Wyoming travels to Texas to play the ALMA MATER and I will plan to travel for that game as well. Between now, and then, I will be busy that time will fly.
Hopefully college football will give us a better slate of Bowl games next year. This years is one of the worst I can remember, in fact other than ORGAN vs LIBERTY, and WYOMING vs TOLEDO, there are not too many games I will bother watching.

Old 12-06-2023, 07:26 AM

3,997 posts, read 2,368,341 times
Week 15

Furman (10-2) @ Montana (11-1) (FCS quarterfinals) (Friday, 10).
Lenoir-Rhyne (13-1) @ Harding (13-0) (division 2 semifinals) 12.
SUNY-Cortland (12-1) @ Randolph-Macon (13-0) (division 3 semifinals) 12.
Villanova (10-2) @ South Dakota State (12-0) (FCS quarterfinals) 12. Christian Sapp is a db from my area plays for 'Nova so I am cheering for him and the team.
North Dakota State (10-3) @ South Dakota (10-2) (FCS quarterfinals) 2:30.
Navy (5-6) vs. Army (5-6) (@ Foxborough, MA) 3. 2 competitive teams this year. Brother and nephew are Army vets so "Go Army."
Kutztown (12-2) @ Colorado School of Mines (13-0) (division 2 semifinals) 3:30. Kutztown is an hour or so south of me so I'll go with them.
North Central (13-0) @ Wartburg (13-0) (division 3 semifinals) 3:30.
Albany (10-3) @ Idaho (9-3) (FCS quarterfinals) 10.

Old 12-06-2023, 08:46 AM

9,766 posts, read 7,487,391 times
Something someone mentioned on Twitter the other day:

IF Jordan Travis being injured is the sole reason that FSU isn't in the playoffs than why is he not a finalist for the Heisman trophy not to mention the winner?? That's why I wish they (the committee) would just come out and say it: We aren't going to take the 4 most-deserving teams, we are going to take what we think are the 4 best teams. As I've mentioned before all of this would have been avoided if Auburn could have just defended a 4th & 31 play correctly.

Old 12-06-2023, 09:45 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,590,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Something someone mentioned on Twitter the other day:

IF Jordan Travis being injured is the sole reason that FSU isn't in the playoffs than why is he not a finalist for the Heisman trophy not to mention the winner?? That's why I wish they (the committee) would just come out and say it: We aren't going to take the 4 most-deserving teams, we are going to take what we think are the 4 best teams. As I've mentioned before all of this would have been avoided if Auburn could have just defended a 4th & 31 play correctly.
I think that is what they have said - It is the best 4 teams right now. "Deserving teams"? That's a meaningless criteria, since we all have wildly different views of who "deserves" to be in. Certainly, the Buckeyes "deserve" to be in, by my estimate.

Old 12-06-2023, 01:32 PM

9,766 posts, read 7,487,391 times
Probably, but I know for sure a 13-0 power 5 champion definitely deserves to be in. I thought this was the reason they dumped the BCS and went to the playoff system in the first place??

Old 12-06-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Probably, but I know for sure a 13-0 power 5 champion definitely deserves to be in. I thought this was the reason they dumped the BCS and went to the playoff system in the first place??

Well, if there are 5 "power" conferences and only 4 "slots", somebody always gonna be pi$$ed. I guess it's your turn in the barrel...

Old 12-06-2023, 02:23 PM

4,876 posts, read 6,939,716 times
Quote:
Deserves got nothing to do with it.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/51qFL-mr8Rg

Old 12-06-2023, 07:59 PM

Lotsa action in the transfer portals. I think my Buckeyes have 13 or so, including McCord. The Cotton Bowl will certainly be an interesting game.

Best wishes to McCord, wherever he lands.

Old 12-06-2023, 08:48 PM

18,037 posts, read 27,488,141 times
If we had 12 team tourney,

9 Missouri- 8 Oregon winner plays 1 Michigan.

10 Mississippi- 7 Ohio State winner plays 2 Washington.

11 Penn State- 6 Georgia winner plays 3 Texas.

12 Liberty - 5 Florida State winner plays 4 Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football