Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 04:27 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
If the ranks "hold pat"

8. FSU 12-1
9. Clemson 11-2

I forgot that the ACC did away with the divisions for this year. Thought that wasn't starting until next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2023, 07:24 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,463,064 times
Last season: Don't remember. I'm pretty sure I stopped counting once we got to December when my schedule went to crap.
This season: N/A

Navy (4-8 last year) vs. Notre Dame (9-4 last year) (@ Dublin, Ireland) 2:30. These games are always fun, and I think the Irish folks are gonna be in for a closer game than what the experts think.
UTEP (5-7) @ Jacksonville State (9-2 [FCS] last year) 5:30. J'Ville state was 9-2 in the FCS last year, and if not getting the move up to the FBS level could have and probably would have gotten into the FCS playoffs, and I think they'll start their FBS tenure with a win.
UMass (1-11 last year) @ New Mexico State (7-6 last year) 7:00. Jerry Kill did a magnificent job turning around this program. Jim Mora did a great job in year 1 with the UConn Huskies, who & when will be the person to turn around this moribund program in Amherst??
Ohio (10-4 last year) @ San Diego State (7-6 last year) 7:00. Probably one of the better games on the schedule. The Bobcats were the better team last year, but they go on the road and play in a worse conference than the Aztecs, so I'll take the Aztecs at home.
Florida International (4-8, 2-6 last year) @ Louisiana Tech (3-9, 2-6 last year) 9:00. Both teams were bad last year, no clue why this is such a high point spread, which is currently at La Tech as 12.5 point favorites. I don't think it's that lopsided.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:56 PM

1,979 posts, read 968,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I forgot that the ACC did away with the divisions for this year. Thought that wasn't starting until next year.
Yep. It's the SEC who is eliminating them for next year.

ACC has the new scheduling formula too. Each school has three permanent opponents, then rotates playing the other 10 opponents every other year.

Old 08-25-2023, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Playoff predictions anybody?

I'm going to say

Georgia
Ohio State
USC
LSU
Georgia over USC.
Alabama over Ohio State
Alabama over Georgia.

Alabama's schedule actually sets up nicely. They get Kentucky as the cross-over game, and games against Texas, LSU, Ole Miss & Tennessee all come in Tuscaloosa. Alabama beats out LSU in the division, and even losing to Georgia in the SEC championship game I think they'll go 1-2 in the playoff order. I've got Ohio State beating Michigan this year, too much distraction for Michigan this year with Harbaugh and potentially moving back to the NFL, but even with an undefeated schedule I'd still take a 1 loss Alabama over an undefeated Ohio State but that's the 2/3 matchup, and as I usually say there's not much difference between the 2 seed and a 3 seed on a neutral field, the only difference is uniform colors and who calls the coin toss.

I'll run down a few others on my list for how I ended up on USC:

Michigan: Already touched on them.
LSU/Florida State loser: If that's LSU, there's just too many speedbumps: Ole Miss, Alabama, Miss State all on the road; a road game @ Missouri who can be a sneaky good team (remember they had Georgia teetering on the ropes last year) and even in Baton Rouge A&M, and Auburn always give them good matchups no matter the venue. Now if the losers Florida State they'll be in even bigger trouble. Unlike the Tigers who have the schedule to potentially rebound from a week 1 loss, the Seminoles don't have that luxury. Outside of this game, a game @ Clemson is currently the only other game against a team that is ranked preseason. And if they lose this at home that's a bad loss in a marquee game.
Clemson: like FSU they just don't have the schedule. They have more scheduled games against preseason ranked teams, the problem with the Tigers is all 3 games (Florida State, North Carolina & Notre Dame) all happen at Clemson. And if one of those 3 teams flame out and disappoint I'm not sure an undefeated Clemson would jump a 1 loss LSU/Ohio State/Michigan/Alabama when you compare strength of schedules.
Penn State: They are going to have to sweep the Michigan/Ohio State games to have a chance, and since the Big 10 expanded and went to divisions, the Lions haven't beaten both in the same season.
Washington: Boise State week 1 is a sneaky game; @ Michigan State in week 3 is an even sneakier game. Starting in November they have USC, Utah, Oregon State back to back back weeks with 2 of the 3 on the road. I don't see them running through that unbeaten.
Texas: After they lose week 2 in Alabama that will be the end of them no matter what they do the rest of the season.
USC: They play Notre Dame/Utah back to back weeks, and than Oregon/Washington back to back weeks, but aside from that aside from a road game to Colorado the rest of their schedule looks scotch free. I have a feeling they'll start in the initial rankings high even if they lose one of those earlier games, and can make their move while the teams above them drop games.

Old 08-26-2023, 05:16 AM

1,119 posts, read 516,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Playoff predictions anybody?

I'm going to say

Georgia
Ohio State
USC
LSU
Penn State
Georgia
Ohio State
Florida State

Penn State wins it all. I don’t think some of you realize just how good they’re going to be this year. Absolutely loaded with talent.

Old 08-26-2023, 12:05 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times
I Just checked and HULU is going to carry college football games. Which is good, because they show games that do not get onto the main channels. You won't see the Missouri School for the Blind going up against Holy Rock Amish college on ESPN......Last year, they also showed all the MAC Games as well as some ALMA MATER games from the C-USA

I did look ahead on the TV Guide channel..the ALMA MATER hosting California will be shown here on ESPN U Next Saturday, so I can start the college season off with grilled chicken wings and NCAA Football. I know what game I am going to watch !

SO Lets see Playoffs
Probably Georgia/Alabama/Looooseyanna State/ Florida St
Florida state gets in only because the next best Southeast Team has 3 losses

OK Seriously They want an all Southeast conference championship which is why I finish up my college season with the Memphis Airport Shoe-shine bowl (which could be Troy state vs Eastern Michigan) and wait until the next year.

Realistically, who would I WANT To see?
Penn State Oklahoma Old Bammy and FLorida State
One team from each area

It will PROBABLY end up
BAMMY
OHIO STATE
GEORGIA
FLORIDA STATE

FL State will do the world a favor and turn back the crimson tide, while Georgia will somehow play off the post-season doldrums of the Buckeyes and meet Florida State in the final
Now if that does not seem good enough, Go Back And RE-READ IT WITH A KEITH JACKSON Voice. Which is how I was thinking it should sound as i wrote it.

Old 08-26-2023, 01:35 PM

This ND/Navy game is pretty much over. It's 21-0 ND halfway through the second quarter.

Old 08-26-2023, 06:38 PM

So Cal looking unimpressive against San Jose State. Their defense does not look improved from last season.

Old 08-27-2023, 01:00 AM

4-1 for week 0.

Old 08-27-2023, 01:23 AM

Week 1 schedule, as usual all games Saturday unless noted:

NC State (8-5 last year) @ UConn (6-7 last year) (Thursday 7:30).
Florida (6-7 last year) @ Utah (10-4 last year) (Thursday 8:00).
Nebraska (4-8, 3-6 last year) @ Minnesota (9-4, 5-4 last year) (Thursday 8:00).
Georgia Tech (5-7, 4-4 last year) vs. Louisville (8-5, 4-4 last year) (@ Mercedez-Benz Dome in Atlanta. Not an official Tech home game) (Friday 7:30).
Stanford (3-9 last year) @ Hawaii (0-1) (Friday 11:00).
Bowling Green (6-7 last year) @ Liberty (8-5 last year) 12:00.
Fresno State (10-4 last year) @ Purdue (8-6 last year) 12:00.
Boise State (10-4 last year) @ Washington (11-2 last year) 3:30.
South Florida (1-11 last year) @ Western Kentucky (9-5 last year) 3:30.
California (4-8 last year) @ North Texas (7-7 last year) 4:00.
Army (6-6 last year) @ UL Monroe (4-8 last year) 7:00.
Washington State (7-6 last year) @ Colorado State (3-9 last year) 7:00.
UTSA (11-3 last year) @ Houston (8-5 last year) 7:00.
South Carolina (8-5 last year) vs. North Carolina (9-5 last year) (@ Charlotte) 7:30.
Texas Tech (8-5 last year) @ Wyoming (7-6 last year).
South Alabama (10-3 last year) @ Tulane (12-2 last year).
Northwestern (1-11, 1-8 last year) @ Rutgers (4-8, 1-8 last year (Sunday 12:00).
Oregon State (10-3 last year) @ San Jose State (0-1) (Sunday 3:30).
Florida State (10-3 last year) vs. LSU (10-4 last year) (@ Orlando Sunday 7:30).
Clemson (11-3, 8-0 last year) @ Duke (9-4, 5-3 last year) (Monday 8:00).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football