Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the Nat'l Championship?
Notre Dame 14 17.07%
Alabama 68 82.93%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:34 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,199,764 times

Advertisements

I think that there are roughly forty teams in the NCAA who would have had their way with the Irish last night.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:36 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,986,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Um, did you see both the SEC and NC games? Or did you see the Alabama-Texas A&M game? I think Notre Dame would be lucky to have a program like Georgia's or Texas A&M's right now. To be honest, Notre Dame would be lucky to have a program like South Carolina's. They've been more consistent than ND over the past few years.
Texas A&M were nobodies last year. They have a hot QB right now but they haven't even been at SCAR or UGA's level for quite some time. I believe ND, as a whole, is at level above TAMU if you look at our recruiting class we have coming in which is #1 in the nation. Sure TAMU beat Alabama but they caught them at a good time. We got Alabama coming off almost 40 days of prep but I won't argue which program is better because it would just be an exercise in mental masturbation.

Also, for clarification, being at UGA's level is fine at first but they are seemingly stuck in a purgatory of good but not great. Why should a program hope to be stuck at that level...not even UGA is happy at that level. Everyone wants to be like Alabama, it may not happen, but I wouldn't want my program to have their sights any lower than that. We're not at that level, nowhere near it, yet but I want the building to continue towards it.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I felt like it showed the lack of talent that ND had played so far, and it really exposed ND's so called great defense.
We played, team for team, better offenses than Alabama played all year long but they were set up to be aerial teams like Miami or Oklahoma. Those are finesse teams so we were able to throw out weight around. We have a SEC-lite defense that's not anywhere near a finished product. A good number of our starters were Charlie Weis recruits and poor old Charlie did not recruit good defensive players. Most ND fans did not expect to even compete for, much less get to, a MNC until next year after a strong recruiting class this year. We were a year ahead of schedule and it showed. We are just not on that level yet but there's no shame in what we've accomplished so far. Poor execution, poor fundamentals, and you could tell which team had been there done that before. Our guys seemed consumed by the moment.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I think that there are roughly forty teams in the NCAA who would have had their way with the Irish last night.
Well playing like that yes. That was our worst game all year. But if you think any team in the country would have beaten Alabama the way they played last night then I have beachfront property in Alaska that might interest you.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:48 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,317,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Well playing like that yes. That was our worst game all year. But if you think any team in the country would have beaten Alabama the way they played last night then I have beachfront property in Alaska that might interest you.
cpg is an Auburn fan, so....enough said. He detests Bama.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:47 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,528,679 times
Quote:
Hey I'm not going to hide. Notre Dame just got outclassed last night and there is no way around that. Whatever Brian Kelly did with the team over the past 40 days he should do the opposite next time because we weren't ready and Alabama was. Oh well these things happen and I'm not sure any team in the country could have stopped Alabama last night. Our defensive front seven is one of the best in the country and their offensive line made them look like rag dolls. It was an uncharacteristically sloppy performance from our defense with more missed tackles in the first half than we probably had all season.

By the way, the SEC had NOTHING to do with what went down last night. Alabama didn't win because they are in a conference with Georgia, Auburn, Florida, etc. They won because they were the better team. I congratulate Alabama but the rest of the SEC...what are you so happy about? You're in the same boat with Notre Dame and the rest of college football: looking up at Alabama.
As would many SEC teams. It was typical ND hype and they got exposed for what they really were. What you continue to not comprehend is what being in the SEC does for the top team that emerges the last seven years. You can talk stats all you like but it's all vs inferior competition. ND just like many others in the last seven years never had to go through the gauntlet that is the SEC. Stats are nice as you compile them vs chumps but the NC game is all the proof that is needed.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:51 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,528,679 times
Quote:
Texas A&M were nobodies last year. They have a hot QB right now but they haven't even been at SCAR or UGA's level for quite some time. I believe ND, as a whole, is at level above TAMU if you look at our recruiting class we have coming in which is #1 in the nation. Sure TAMU beat Alabama but they caught them at a good time. We got Alabama coming off almost 40 days of prep but I won't argue which program is better because it would just be an exercise in mental masturbation.

Also, for clarification, being at UGA's level is fine at first but they are seemingly stuck in a purgatory of good but not great. Why should a program hope to be stuck at that level...not even UGA is happy at that level. Everyone wants to be like Alabama, it may not happen, but I wouldn't want my program to have their sights any lower than that. We're not at that level, nowhere near it, yet but I want the building to continue towards it.
You need to step away for a while after this loss. ND has been a average team for almost two decades. You should be thrilled to get to UGA's level.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You need to step away for a while after this loss. ND has been a average team for almost two decades. You should be thrilled to get to UGA's level.
Yeah as a stepping stone but that's not the ultimate destination. Even UGA is no longer happy to be on their own level. At some point you want your program to take the jump. I live 40 minutes from Athens, right in the heart of UGA country, and trust me the natives are getting restless.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
As would many SEC teams. It was typical ND hype and they got exposed for what they really were. What you continue to not comprehend is what being in the SEC does for the top team that emerges the last seven years. You can talk stats all you like but it's all vs inferior competition. ND just like many others in the last seven years never had to go through the gauntlet that is the SEC. Stats are nice as you compile them vs chumps but the NC game is all the proof that is needed.
This argument is pointless because it's all just speculative. I'm not going to argue phantom situations as it is meaningless.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I feel sorry for a team like Florida State, one loss by one point

this post wins for most backhanded compliments in a single post.

perhaps they should win at home

this is big talk coming from a fan base whose team routinely plays 8 of 12 games at home, because it can, because it's "independent"
Oregon played 7 home games this year.

Alabama played 8 home games this year.

Florida played 8 home games this year.

KSU played 7 home games this year.

UGA played 8 home games this year.

LSU played 8 home games this year.

Notre Dame played 6 games at Notre Dame Stadium this year. 1 additional "home" game was at Soldier Field. We also traveled to Dublin, Ireland for a road game and played other 4 games as true road games. We're no different really than any other top 25 team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football