Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 11:26 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,325 times

Advertisements

College football media collectively = A bunch of agenda driven hacks, literally. Example: Oklahoma has the highest average annual preseason ranking in the nation over the last 10 yrs and the only team with an annual top 10 preseason ranking in each of the last 10 yrs and they'll have zero national titles to show for that media love continually placed upon them at the end of the day. But for some strange reason this statistical fact has yet to mentioned on a single college football website even though they love to tell us fans which teams are overrated this year or that year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 04:01 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,325 times
Regoinal bias will continue if the only entity with the ability to drown it out (espn) seemingly provides more subjective analysis with each passing year. Look at USC going into this year. The concensus among espn experts...they were the nation's most complete football team and a sure bet to make the title game. Now their statements look to be those of birdbrain goofballs from Oregon dropping of 62 on USC last week. ESPN is the best to catch up on highlights and that's it, expert opinion is Comedy Central

Old 11-10-2012, 08:12 AM

518 posts, read 406,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Interesting blind test from CBS Sports that takes regional bias and media perception out of the equation when ranking teams:

Blind Test: Which teams should be ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in college football? - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com News, Scores, Stats, Schedule and BCS Rankings
There might not be as much regional bias, but there's still bias. Depends on what they mean by 'ranked' teams -- are they talking about teams that were ranked when their games were played, or are they talking about teams that are currently ranked? Oregon's schedule's not as solid as Alabama's, yet they seem to be saying that it is if I'm reading their poll correctly.

As for regional bias, I guess it does exist, and I'm sure the SEC gets the benefit of the doubt. However, you cannot say that it isn't earned. The SEC has never lost a BCS game title game -- they've played 7 or 8 of them. I don't know about you but if the NFC won something like the first 8 or 9 Super Bowls, I think it would be reasonable to ask if it's necessary for the AFC to field a team; if we couldn't perhaps just make the championship game between the two best NFC teams. Wouldn't happen, of course, but people couldn't be blamed for wanting a change to the format.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:25 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,115 times
I come from being out today only to find the following:
"Jelani Jenkins returned a blocked punt 36 yards for a touchdown with 2 seconds remaining and No. 7 Florida rallied in the closing minutes to beat Louisiana-Lafayette 27-20 on Saturday."
No. 7 Florida scores twice late to beat ULL 27-20 - College Football - Rivals.com

I thought the Gators were past this...I guess not since a miracle was needed @HOME. ROFL.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:20 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,458,884 times
Johnny Manziel is a bad***. Crazy to think that Chip Kelly had both him and Marcus Mariota as Ducks. Guess ol' Chip knows talent.

Congrats to A&M- heck of a game by them.

Arizona State held USC to less yards than the Ducks. They must be better than us. I mean, all these experts might be right. I hope we don't have to play those Devils with our exposed defense and everything...oh wait.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:23 PM

811 posts, read 809,981 times
yeah A&M can't compete in the SEC

Old 11-10-2012, 05:26 PM

The Ducks and Kansas State have the inside tracks now - their BCS spots to lose at this point. Notre Dame's hoping one will stumble. Kansas State has the easier schedule, so I guess the Irish will hope that the Ducks get tripped up by Stanford, Oregon State, or USC.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:46 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,532,954 times
I said last year that A&M going to the SEC was the best thing for them. I did think that it would take them several more years to be in the top 5, but i think they're ahead of schedule now. Many top high school players from Texas are gonna likely sign with A&M due to being close to home and still able to play in the SEC. This will give them more exposure to be recruited by NFL scouts being in a powerhouse conference. The way it looks now, they could be a top 3 team next year.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:01 PM

As good as A&M was on offense, the Ducks would have been even harder for the Tide to slow down. They have more angles of attack than the Aggies do.

On the flip side, the one thing that allowed A&M to win this game was their defensive play on the lines, though they darn near blew this game in the secondary. This year's Bama team is better offensively, but as Lundquist and Danielson mentioned during the telecast, Alabama's defense doesn't have pass rushers like they did last year. More than likely, the SEC's BCS run is over. Kansas State and Notre Dame look like the most balanced teams; Oregon the most explosive.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:08 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,533,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceahogalwaysahog View Post
yeah A&M can't compete in the SEC
I know, huh! How many times have we read this statement. IMO on any given saturday... I'm just glad they held on to their lead. I thought 'bama would come back on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football