Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2012, 11:01 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Here's the facts. Here's what that game proved:

Alabama got shocked at the beginning of that game by A&M's hurry up offense.

Big lesson to learn there no doubt. Look for more and more teams to catch on.
The difference between Alabama playing TAMU this week and Alabama potentially playing Oregon in the MNC is A) TAMU has a better defense than Oregon and B) Alabama wouldn't be coming off a tough and physical emotionally draining game against it's biggest rival and they would have a whole month to prepare for Oregon. I'm simply not impressed with Oregon's defense but who knows Chip Kelly is a good coached and they could win. I generally take a good defense over explosive offense in big games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 11:35 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,960,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
The difference between Alabama playing TAMU this week and Alabama potentially playing Oregon in the MNC is A) TAMU has a better defense than Oregon and B) Alabama wouldn't be coming off a tough and physical emotionally draining game against it's biggest rival and they would have a whole month to prepare for Oregon. I'm simply not impressed with Oregon's defense but who knows Chip Kelly is a good coached and they could win. I generally take a good defense over explosive offense in big games.
Who had the better defense going into the Alabama vs A&M game? Oh...thats what I thought.

Here's the big question for you. If Oregon wins the National Championship, do they have good defense?

I will be bringing your post up again once the season is over to finish this conversation.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:41 AM

Fact...the better offense shocked the better defense with just a taste of Oregons offensive scheme. And, the lesser defense proved better. Play calling, match ups,as well as offensive scheme won that game!

Old 11-12-2012, 11:44 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,263,195 times
Quote:
Who had the better defense going into the Alabama vs A&M game? Oh...thats what I thought.

Here's the big question for you. If Oregon wins the National Championship, do they have good defense?

I will be bringing your post up again once the season is over to finish this conversation.
O-Ducky, lets not buy the party hats yet my friend...our entire defense is changing its bandages this morning. We still have 3 very tough games left. Standford will be a win, but barely in my opinion, Oregon State always plays us tough even when they are crappy, and UCLA (should we play them for the pac 12 championship, is beating the crap out of people. Should we make it thru that lawn mower.. and have a month to recover from injuries, there is NO ONE in the Nation who can stop us. We need a championship in Oregon so bad...Im tired of those ceremonies for the 1977 Portland Trail blazers.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
O-Ducky, lets not buy the party hats yet my friend...our entire defense is changing its bandages this morning. We still have 3 very tough games left. Standford will be a win, but barely in my opinion, Oregon State always plays us tough even when they are crappy, and UCLA (should we play them for the pac 12 championship, is beating the crap out of people. Should we make it thru that lawn mower.. and have a month to recover from injuries, there is NO ONE in the Nation who can stop us. We need a championship in Oregon so bad...Im tired of those ceremonies for the 1977 Portland Trail blazers.
Lol...I couldn't be more confident my friend. I got the memo about four months ago.

Stanford could be the toughest game. But that one as well as the Pac-12 championship is at home.

Oregon 41
Stanford 10

^ That's going to prove our defense. Yeah some of our defense is banged up but that makes room for others to step up...that's what we do. Remember, they've had some playing time...all year long.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:16 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,863 times
Quote:

Well there's a pretty good chance you won't face Alabama in the NCG so this all may be a moot point. As for whose defense is better between TAMU and Alabama well the answer is obviously Alabama but TAMU is more balanced. TAMU is more balanced than Oregon as well. Alabama wins on the strength of their defense just like Oregon wins based on their offense but I wouldn't say either team is incredibly balanced. I would say Alabama's offense is better than Oregon's defense though.

I would also say that historically my point is valid. Good defenses tend to trump good offenses. Offense wins games but defense wins championships. There is a reason the SEC (as much as I hate that conference) has won 6 straight NCs, because their defenses are usually top notch. Going into the MNC they always have the better defense on the field and they win.

The closest game in that stretch was the Oregon and Auburn game. But it's worth pointing out that Auburn's defense is the worst defense of any of the past 6 champions. I'm sure if Oregon wins the MNC you'll bring this post back up and hey if your team wins it all you can do whatever you want but one game doesn't erase a historical trend.

I believe defense wins championships in all sports. Look at the Spanish National Team (soccer) they are "boring" and tend to only score 1 goal a game but their defense is suffocating. They've won 2 Euro's and a WC to prove their playing style.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:33 PM

People... Im confident that our Oregon Duck "team" is not only our best ever ...but the nest college football team in the history of college football!!! Its not "defense"...its the "team". Im just saying this because if your a football fan your going to really appreciate what happens next. If anyone on the team is mostly responsible I'll say it's the coaching staff. They are the ones who will win without the best talent - not that our D isn't talented. That's the big X factor for us. Our coaches are brilliantly blessed this year. Without them we would have lost a long time ago. Our coaches have just molded the best quarterback in the history of college football and Marcus Mariota will be the first freshman quarterback to lead his team to a national title. I have stood firm in that and am even more confident now.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Well there's a pretty good chance you won't face Alabama in the NCG so this all may be a moot point. As for whose defense is better between TAMU and Alabama well the answer is obviously Alabama but TAMU is more balanced. TAMU is more balanced than Oregon as well. Alabama wins on the strength of their defense just like Oregon wins based on their offense but I wouldn't say either team is incredibly balanced. I would say Alabama's offense is better than Oregon's defense though.

I would also say that historically my point is valid. Good defenses tend to trump good offenses. Offense wins games but defense wins championships. There is a reason the SEC (as much as I hate that conference) has won 6 straight NCs, because their defenses are usually top notch. Going into the MNC they always have the better defense on the field and they win.

The closest game in that stretch was the Oregon and Auburn game. But it's worth pointing out that Auburn's defense is the worst defense of any of the past 6 champions. I'm sure if Oregon wins the MNC you'll bring this post back up and hey if your team wins it all you can do whatever you want but one game doesn't erase a historical trend.

I believe defense wins championships in all sports. Look at the Spanish National Team (soccer) they are "boring" and tend to only score 1 goal a game but their defense is suffocating. They've won 2 Euro's and a WC to prove their playing style.
I understand statistics. Statistically you have a point but I don't judge outcomes by statistics. I look at a bigger picture with the complete equation. I don't drink that kool aid either.

Answer this question:

"If Oregon wins the Title...do they have good defense?"

Old 11-12-2012, 01:02 PM

Was there even "one" person, other than me, who wasn't drinking the Alabama kool aid? Just one? Well maybe but I doubt it. Everyone drinks it up and follows statistical probable outcomes. Look what that got you. Im not trying to boast but that Alabama game says it all.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:50 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,872 times
Quote:
Was there even "one" person, other than me, who wasn't drinking the Alabama kool aid? Just one? Well maybe but I doubt it. Everyone drinks it up and follows statistical probable outcomes. Look what that got you. Im not trying to boast but that Alabama game says it all.
You not boasting? Oh come on. We all know that you believe Oregon is unbeatable. I think it is good that you support your team, but supporting your team does not equal being against everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football