Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 02:40 PM

11,280 posts, read 11,047,002 times

Advertisements

I didn't watch the second half of the opener after they took a 47 point lead. Did Oregon even have anyone on the field in the second half?

Old 09-03-2012, 10:36 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,335,696 times
They were a mix of 1st and 2nd teamers in the 2nd half. I wouldn't read much into the 2nd half, except that their secondary may not be deep, which could be a problem against USC.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,462,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
They were a mix of 1st and 2nd teamers in the 2nd half. I wouldn't read much into the 2nd half, except that their secondary may not be deep, which could be a problem against USC.
Almost the entire starting offense was out by the half- all the skill players and almost the entire line. The DL was out as was the LB corp. The only real unit that saw some of the 1s in second half was the dbs. However, Kelly didn't really mix in starters at all. Most of the second half saw the 2nd team as well as a unit (with a 1 mixed in early) many 3rd teamers. In total, Oregon played about 77 players- that's a lot. I highly doubt any team in the country played that many players. Oregon was young in the secondary last year (3 out of 4 frosh) and are still young with sophmores (still a bit of work to get the depth). It appeared we essentially ran the same defense all 2nd half. We didn't rush much and it seemed to me that the youngsters were really getting critiqued.

Our DC was not happy about the effort that the 2nd/3rd teamers gave and I doubt we see that lackluster effort again. Oregon's dbs playoff the ball baiting and keeping things in front of them. As teams get into the redzone, Oregon's defense tightens up and tries to force turnovers. It's been like that forever- bend but don't break. It really does drive us up the wall. SC is going to be a problem regardless. The difference this year is that I think the Ducks will get a helmet on Barkley unlike last year. But we are not going to be able to put the lockdown on those wrs (poor ol' Cliffy is gone- he was the cheese on the nachos). I think we'll out score them though.

I hope to see an improvement with the young kids next game.

Last edited by Acuda; 09-03-2012 at 07:59 PM..

Old 09-03-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
In total, Oregon played about 77 players- that's a lot.
This is significant, and this is by design. Kelly has been pulling this together for the past 3 years and change, a personnel package that goes two deep on almost every position. It's kinda like the 40-minutes of hell Arkansas Razorbacks baskteball teams of the 1990s applied to college football. Coach just keeps bringing guys in with quick subs, confusing the other teams, leaving them gasping for air, and wearing them down until they look up at the scoreboard and see that it's 28-7 in the 2nd quarter.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:26 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,963,415 times
Quote:
Opening game unis. Old School meets new school. Just ridiculously sick!
Acuda thanks for posting the uniform. I aint gonna lie I wish they'd stick with that one. I never thought football uniforms could look so good. But then again who knows what they'll come up with next.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:31 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,963,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
While Oregon's offense is awesome, the jury is still out on their defense. I still think Bama would beat them badly.
Your kidding right? Our defense kept Arkansas state to 3 while our offense went to around forty five, before our second and third went out to play. Also, I realize you think Alabama is just going to go into Tiger Stadium (Death Valley) and beat LSU this year. Sorry, not gonna happen. You'll see. I sincerely hope everyone stays healthy on every top five teams this year so the truth can be more fully shown.

Sorry about your year USC and Alabama.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:40 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,522,783 times
Elite college football teams don't give up 34 points to Arkansas St. Need I say more?

Old 09-05-2012, 04:29 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,462,350 times
Quote:
Elite college football teams don't give up 34 points to Arkansas St. Need I say more?
Seriously? Well gee, I guess we aren't elite when a dude from Hawaii says so after reading the box score in the paper. That's a real big shame. I bet our recruiting the Big Island will take a hit once he starts telling all the Polys and Locals that we're are not elite. I hope Mariota and DeForest Buckner don't hear him. They might just jump ship and go to a real team whose walk-ons don't allow 2 tds in garbage time- which was everything from the 1st qtr on.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:03 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,522,783 times
Quote:
Seriously? Well gee, I guess we aren't elite when a dude from Hawaii says so after reading the box score in the paper. That's a real big shame. I bet our recruiting the Big Island will take a hit once he starts telling all the Polys and Locals that we're are not elite. I hope Mariota and DeForest Buckner don't hear him. They might just jump ship and go to a real team whose walk-ons don't allow 2 tds in garbage time- which was everything from the 1st qtr on.
Elite teams like Bama don't give up 34 points to teams like Arkansas St., even if they're starters aren't in the game. Why? Because they have depth. And, they would put the pedal to the medal and score more than 7 points in the second half.

I didn't need to read to the box score, I watched the game on TV with my own two eyes. If Oregon knows about where the talent in Hawaii mostly is, they wouldn't need to take a connecting flight to the Big Island. I will give Oregon some credit, tho. They got a really good and underrated QB in Mariota. I saw him play a couple of times in person when he played at St. Louis H.S. I always thought the kid was going to be special.

Its time for Oregon to put up or shut up. Win a NC champion, then they can be elite. Until they do, their just a good team who can score a ton of points, but needs to vastly improve their defense and add quality depth.

Last edited by kaimuki; 09-05-2012 at 05:24 PM..

Old 09-05-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah, just like elite, BCS title teams teams don't give up 300 yards rushing and 21 points to Georgia Southern in 2011.

Oh wait, Alabama did. And they did for the same reason that Oregon gave up 34 meaningless points in the 2nd half against Ark St. -- they didn't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football