Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:17 AM

11,280 posts, read 11,050,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Two weeks into the season and Oregon is giving up more than 30 points a game. If I was an Oregon fan and hoping to play in the NC game, I would be concerned.
Are they giving up the points because their defense doesn't match their offense, or are they giving up the points because by the second half of all their games, their lead is so large they just rest all their key players and have just about everyone short of the waterboy on the field?

Old 09-17-2012, 07:00 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,963,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Are they giving up the points because their defense doesn't match their offense, or are they giving up the points because by the second half of all their games, their lead is so large they just rest all their key players and have just about everyone short of the waterboy on the field?
Exactly. And that's clearly what our coach is doing. He gave even our thirdstring quarterback some play.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:11 AM

Now we know we have another challenge with Stanford. Stanford beat USC. Matt Barkley also showed how overrated he is. I figured that, but didn't think Stanford was that good. Haha, and it wasn't luck.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:50 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,336,104 times
Ducks fans shouldn't worry about this game against Arizona. The Wildcats have proven that they know how to score points, and coach Rodriguez is coaching in a place where he feels comfortable using his style of players and game schemes. Unfortunately, though, they've also proven that they can give up points, and Rodriguez has never seen Oregon play in person. That's going to be a problem - especially considering the game is at Autzen. I'm thinking the score will be something like 52-35, Oregon.

Wouldn't be too worried about hosting Stanford late in the year. Stanford is big and strong, but much slower than the Ducks, which was made evident in last year's game in Palo Alto. Moreover, there's no Andrew Luck for Oregon's secondary to worry about.

As bad as USC's performance was, I still say that Oregon should be most concerned about the Trojans. I agree that the loss to Stanford badly wounded their BCS title aspirations in this final quirky year of the two-team format. But the Trojans' deep ball threat matched up against Oregon's concerns in the secondary could spell trouble. There's time for the Ducks to improve in the secondary and in pass coverage, but it will be a bigger concern as the year goes on. I don't expect it to be a real problem, though, until the Arizona State game, which is another game that could produce some unexpected surprises for the Ducks.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Ducks fans shouldn't worry about this game against Arizona. The Wildcats have proven that they know how to score points, and coach Rodriguez is coaching in a place where he feels comfortable using his style of players and game schemes. Unfortunately, though, they've also proven that they can give up points, and Rodriguez has never seen Oregon play in person. That's going to be a problem - especially considering the game is at Autzen. I'm thinking the score will be something like 52-35, Oregon.

Wouldn't be too worried about hosting Stanford late in the year. Stanford is big and strong, but much slower than the Ducks, which was made evident in last year's game in Palo Alto. Moreover, there's no Andrew Luck for Oregon's secondary to worry about.

As bad as USC's performance was, I still say that Oregon should be most concerned about the Trojans. I agree that the loss to Stanford badly wounded their BCS title aspirations in this final quirky year of the two-team format. But the Trojans' deep ball threat matched up against Oregon's concerns in the secondary could spell trouble. There's time for the Ducks to improve in the secondary and in pass coverage, but it will be a bigger concern as the year goes on. I don't expect it to be a real problem, though, until the Arizona State game, which is another game that could produce some unexpected surprises for the Ducks.
Nice writeup. Of course I can totally see us beating usc stanford and then lsu in the natty, but those three teams I think will be the greatest challenge. USC is the least of the three, as you've seen. I know it's in the coliseum but that's not going to help them this year. Seriously, USC sucks. Except for two receives and an ok quarterback. I'll go with :

Oregon 28
Stanford 17

Oregon 45
USC 30

Oregon 24
LSU 21

Just a rough estimate.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:25 PM

That stanford game may be a little closer than that. Hopefully not.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Nice writeup. Of course I can totally see us beating usc stanford and then lsu in the natty, but those three teams I think will be the greatest challenge. USC is the least of the three, as you've seen. I know it's in the coliseum but that's not going to help them this year. Seriously, USC sucks. Except for two receives and an ok quarterback. I'll go with :

Oregon 28
Stanford 17

Oregon 45
USC 30

Oregon 24
LSU 21

Just a rough estimate.
Two things:

1. It's USC's air attack -- their unparalleled strength -- against Oregon's defensive backs, which is their question mark right now. The Ducks might prove in time that they're up to that challenge, but that's the biggest concern I see right now. Stanford's a team that's more physical on both lines, similar to an SEC team in that regard, but a little slower. Stanford's slowness makes them vulnerable to Oregon's speed, but USC's strength is to stretch the field on offense.

2. As much as I'd love to say that LSU's the best team in the SEC, I'm not convinced that they are anymore. Their suspensions and academic ineligibility problems are starting to take a toll on their defensive depth, which was one of their strengths coming into the season. Only two starters are off the team now, and I think Mathieu was overrated, but you need depth as the season goes on and LSU's lost some of that. On the other hand, Alabama, despite their youth, has risen to the occasion. Their offensive line is probably the best in the country, and their backfield is as loaded as LSU's. McCarron, while not as talented as Mettenberger, is a proven winner. But it's Alabama's defense that's most impressive...they're extremely athletic. They, like Oregon, may not have been fully tested against a quality deep ball passing game, and the LSU game will be interesting to watch for that reason. Even so, I'd have to pick Alabama to come out of the SEC right now, and I'd also say that based on what I've seen to date, nobody can beat them. It's a long season, though. Injuries happen, and teams improve. We'll see.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:00 PM

Our schedule this year is about to heat up a a but. This ones against Arizona at home then our four easy home games in a row are over. Football season now begins though because Arizonas not that bad. Their quarterback is on fire I guess. Our defense will shut it down and hand Marcus the ball. From this game forward, marcus is going to take that football and pass it right into our end zone which will be the National championship. Oregon duck football has begun. Just a guess:

Oregon 47
Arizona 20

Doesn't mean I don't think Arizonas good. I just don't think this game is going to go so well for them.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Our schedule this year is about to heat up a a but. This ones against Arizona at home then our four easy home games in a row are over. Football season now begins though because Arizonas not that bad. Their quarterback is on fire I guess. Our defense will shut it down and hand Marcus the ball. From this game forward, marcus is going to take that football and pass it right into our end zone which will be the National championship. Oregon duck football has begun. Just a guess:

Oregon 47
Arizona 20

Doesn't mean I don't think Arizonas good. I just don't think this game is going to go so well for them.
Arizona can rack up the points - they proved that against Oklahoma State. However, they also showed they have some holes in their defense. Against a team like Oregon, you just can't have any holes. The coaching staff of Rich Rodriguez has never seen a team like Oregon, either, which I think will make it difficult to prepare for the Ducks offensive onslaught. This is one of those games that might be tight early, but I think Oregon pulls away late. That's typically how the Ducks bet on winning - they assume that they'll wear teams out with their pace, and they usually do.

I think Oregon takes this one, 45-28, or somewhere in that ball park. The game could be closer than the final score might indicate, but I think the Ducks pull away late.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:14 PM

[quote=chickenfriedbananas;26204801]Arizona can rack up the points - they proved that against Oklahoma State. However, they also showed they have some holes in their defense. Against a team like Oregon, you just can't have any holes. The coaching staff of Rich Rodriguez has never seen a team like Oregon, either, which I think will make it difficult to prepare for the Ducks offensive onslaught. This is one of those games that might be tight early, but I think Oregon pulls away late. That's typically how the Ducks bet on winning - they assume that they'll wear teams out with their pace, and they usually do.

I think Oregon takes this one, 45-28, or somewhere in that ball park. The game could be closer than the final score might indicate, but I think the Ducks pull away late.[/QUO

I don't see us taking long to get fired up, like the third quarters when the d is wore out. Well see that tonight with Thomas, Marcus, and Barner right away in the first quarter. And our defense will shine. Think the game is like 10:30 EST, and it's on ESPN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football