Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 06:46 PM

6,165 posts, read 9,269,409 times

Advertisements

2010 NCAA College Football Polls and Rankings for Week 8 - ESPN

here are the new rankings for the BCS

any suprizes??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 06:51 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,483,253 times
Chokelahoma over Oregon, TCU and Boise State? Makes no sense. Michigan State should be higher.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:00 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,074,917 times
No real surprise for me because I rarely agree with the BS..uh, I mean BCS. For the most part, I agree with the AP and USA Today polls for this week, including Oregon being ranked at #1.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Chokelahoma over Oregon, TCU and Boise State? Makes no sense. Michigan State should be higher.
Couldn't agree more with Oregon

they should have easily been #1

Old 10-17-2010, 07:12 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,300,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Couldn't agree more with Oregon

they should have easily been #1
Why not?
Oklahoma has beaten:
#17 Florida state
Air Force (who are 5-2)
#21 Texas (who just beat #5 Nebraska)

Oregon has beaten:
Tennessee (who are 2-4)
#9 Stanford

...seems to make plenty of sense...

Old 10-17-2010, 07:12 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,655,517 times
Looks about right.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:53 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,695,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Looks about right.
I agree.

I do find it a little surprising to see Oklahoma jump as far as they did in the polls and in the BCS rankings from last week to this week, given they beat a hapless Iowa State team (that Utah demolished a week ago). At the same time, however, Boise State rolled a DOA San Jose State team, but Nevada and Oregon State lost... and Oregon had a bye.

I just don't see how the voters can bump Oklahoma that much from last week to this week, even if Boise State ended up at #2 in the polls.

However...

Oklahoma has clearly had the better schedule of the top 3, though it's strange that Auburn is as low as they are, given their schedule to date.

For Boise State it's the same story: we need teams above us to lose. Period. The computers aren't going to help us at all, and shouldn't.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:19 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,478,304 times
I'm not too surprised by these rankings. What I still do not understand are the vast difference in the computer rankings. I mean one has us down at 11. 11, really? Sagarin has us at 2, yet we average 8. That's ridiculous. The computers must put different weight on different things.

I have no real beef with OU being ranked ahead of us, but beating a way overrated Air Force (who just lost to San Diego St), struggling against the power known as Utah...State, and hanging on against a Texas team that was thumped by UCLA is not overly impressive. But, it will all pan out. I have absolutely no doubt we would take care of business against OU if we did meet up...but there is too much football left to even think about that.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:41 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,300,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
I'm not too surprised by these rankings. What I still do not understand are the vast difference in the computer rankings. I mean one has us down at 11. 11, really? Sagarin has us at 2, yet we average 8. That's ridiculous. The computers must put different weight on different things.

I have no real beef with OU being ranked ahead of us, but beating a way overrated Air Force (who just lost to San Diego St), struggling against the power known as Utah...State, and hanging on against a Texas team that was thumped by UCLA is not overly impressive. But, it will all pan out. I have absolutely no doubt we would take care of business against OU if we did meet up...but there is too much football left to even think about that.
Texas just beat #5 Nebraska
Air Force could very well win the Mountain West still
And Utah State, well, Utah State...uhhh... yeah see your point about them...

I don't think Oregon could handle OU... But who knows-- we might get to see an Oregon vs OU National Championship game. That would be one hell of a game that I would be very interested in watching.

As a Texas fan, I'm trying to decide if I'd rather see OU run the table and go undefeated, or if I'd rather pray that they suffer two losses... On the one hand-- if they run the table, it improves our stance in the computers as they are one of the two teams we lost to and it might help us get into a better bowl... on the other-- if they could suffer two losses in the big 12 (very unlikely at this point in the season) then we may still have a chance to win the Big 12... oh predicaments...

Old 10-17-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Why not?
Oklahoma has beaten:
#17 Florida state
Air Force (who are 5-2)
#21 Texas (who just beat #5 Nebraska)

Oregon has beaten:
Tennessee (who are 2-4)
#9 Stanford

...seems to make plenty of sense...
Yeah, but they almost lost to Utah State and a Cincy team that is 3-3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football