Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:33 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,290,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
A major conference team that--almost loses-- every game will be still playing in the BCS Championship.

If they--almost lose-- that game also they will be called National Champs.
If they are almost losing, then you can safely say that there is a good chance they will not make it to the national championship. Particularly in our BCS world. If you have 3 undefeated teams: Oklahoma, Alabama, and Oregon... and Oklahoma almost lost to every team during the year then they will get passed over for the national championship (in favor of the other two undefeated teams). Style points matter in the BCS...

Just ask Auburn fans about 2004...

But sure, in other sports (that have playoffs) a win is a win however you get it =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 07:32 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,235,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
If they are almost losing, then you can safely say that there is a good chance they will not make it to the national championship. Particularly in our BCS world. If you have 3 undefeated teams: Oklahoma, Alabama, and Oregon... and Oklahoma almost lost to every team during the year then they will get passed over for the national championship (in favor of the other two undefeated teams). Style points matter in the BCS...

But sure, in other sports (that have playoffs) a win is a win however you get it =)
strength of schedules.

If there were 3 teams undefeated, yes, a team could almost lose all their games and if their schedule was deemed tougher than any one of the other 2, they would be playing in the Championship game.

---Strength of schedule--is a legitimate distinction
--margin of victory-------is not.

Boise State fans know that

Old 10-22-2010, 08:56 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,133,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm sorry. No offense to my own conference, but OU has no business in the number one spot. Unless everyone else really does suck that badly.
Dont fret, remember their name is Chokelahoma!

Old 10-23-2010, 03:11 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,517,255 times
Quote:

If it is Oklahoma, Oregon and Auburn undefeated at the end of the year I can promise you that Oklahoma will be playing.

Auburn did not get left out in 2004 because of style points. They got left out because the choices were Oklahoma, USC and Auburn. It's a no-brainer. Oklahoma and USC bring in huge ratings and have national followings. No one outside of the south pays attention to Auburn. Same with Georgia. Only SEC teams with a national following are Florida, Alabama and Tennessee. LSU when they are haveing a good year. No one cares about the rest of the SEC.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:25 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,960,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
strength of schedules.

If there were 3 teams undefeated, yes, a team could almost lose all their games and if their schedule was deemed tougher than any one of the other 2, they would be playing in the Championship game.

---Strength of schedule--is a legitimate distinction
--margin of victory-------is not.

Boise State fans know that
What marmac said.

If Oklahoma wins out, which is going to be hard, they'll be in the driver's seat for the NC game. Their strength of schedule, especially after playing Mizzou, Ok State, and then either Mizzou or Nebraska in the Big XII championship will assure them of that because their strength of schedule will be much greater than any of the unbeatens. And it doesn't matter if they win those games by one point or by THIRTY.

OU will have a hard time winning out, IMO. They are a young team and were not expected to be where they are at. Mizzou will be a tough test this evening, and it will only get harder.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:

You cannot be serious. First off, Alabama has ALREADY LOST one game.

And Oklahoma didn't "almost lose" to any of those teams, they won all of those games, and against far superior teams than Oregon has played. Oregon has played one ranked team this year. Oklahoma's strength of schedule is the toughest of any unbeaten team. And by the time the year is out, IF (and that's a BIG if because they are young) Oklahoma wins out they will have played six top 25 ranked teams in Fla State, Texas, Air Force (ranked at the time), Mizzou, Ok State, and a ranked team in the Big XII championship.

Style points matter in the BCS, but most importantly SOS. So live in reality, okay? Geez. You're letting your hatred for the Sooners take over logical thinking, seriously.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
Dont fret, remember their name is Chokelahoma!
Ya, they really are chokers....

The Sooners possess seven national championships in football, with the 1950, 1955, 1956, 1974, 1975, 1985, and 2000 seasons featuring the top team in the Associated Press final poll, and the 2000 Bowl Championship Series National Championship as well.

This ties Alabama for the second most national titles of any Division I college football team after the end of World War II (which is commonly used as the division between eras in college football).

Old 10-23-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
You cannot be serious. First off, Alabama has ALREADY LOST one game.

And Oklahoma didn't "almost lose" to any of those teams, they won all of those games, and against far superior teams than Oregon has played. Oregon has played one ranked team this year. Oklahoma's strength of schedule is the toughest of any unbeaten team. And by the time the year is out, IF (and that's a BIG if because they are young) Oklahoma wins out they will have played six top 25 ranked teams in Fla State, Texas, Air Force (ranked at the time), Mizzou, Ok State, and a ranked team in the Big XII championship.

Style points matter in the BCS, but most importantly SOS. So live in reality, okay? Geez. You're letting your hatred for the Sooners take over logical thinking, seriously.
No I wasn't trying to bring up this season. I was making a theoretical example using Oklahoma, Alabama, and Oregon. I very well could have used any three teams for said example. God you Oklahoma homers are unbelievable... LOL.

The point is-- score does matter to the voter's perception. You guys can say it doesn't all you want, but you would be living in fantasy land. I'm done explaining this to you though, you see obvious examples that score matters all season long. Often times, a team will fall behind another team because they only beat a team with a similar strength by only a few points (i.e. 1 or 2).

Just FYI, the BCS formula is the following (and voters ARE in it):

The percentage totals of the Harris Interactive Poll, USA Today Poll, and the computer rankings are then averaged. The teams’ averages are ranked to produce the BCS Standings.
A = Team is No. 1 in Harris Poll with all voters = 1.000
B = Same team is No. 1 in Coaches Poll with all voters = 1.000
C = Same team is No. 3 in Computer Rankings = 0.920
Result: (A+B+C)/3 = Total Score of 0.973

SO YEAH, SOS matters, but so does SCORE because it affects voter's PERCEPTION. They both help affect a team's ranking. So for teams to just assume that score doesn't matter, and it is okay to beat McNeasy State (some FCS school) by 1 point is just ridiculous...

Old 10-23-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:

So read my post again about my Oregon, Alabama, and Oklahoma example, in it I clearly state "if you have 3 undefeated teams: Oklahoma Alabama and Oregon," I hate it when people on city-data don't even bother to fully comprehend a post before responding... I know Alabama has a loss, I was making a theoretical example...

You come back with "Alabama already lost!"

Obviously reading comprehension must not be taken into consideration for admission to OU...

Old 10-23-2010, 09:36 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,715,321 times
Score definitely matters for the human polls. Most coaches spend all of five minutes filling out their ballot for the week, or give it to an assistant to fill out. They sure aren't spending their Saturday's watching games so scores and who played who is about all they have to go on.

As for the computers, if I remember right, they eliminated the margin of victory componet a few years back after OU with Jason White, and a few other top teams, were still airing it out well into the 4th quarter of a blowout.

...so I guess margin of victory matters but not as much as it did a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football