Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 04:28 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,929,625 times

Advertisements

And all that, btw, is all the more reason to get a playoff in my eyes....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 04:33 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,136,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
I wouldn't say the Boise/Oregon game wasn't even close. Boise won by 11 with Oregon hanging around well into the fourth quarter in a very ugly, sloppy game. I know it's a minor point but lets not act like they put them away in the first quarter.

The score doesnt tell the whole story lets recap the game:

Boise 22 first downs to 6 for Oregon (first one came in 3rd quarter)
Boise 361 yards to 152 for Oregon
Time of posession 42:32 for Boise 17:28 for Oregon

If not for 3 missed field goals and 3 turnovers for Boise this game would have been a complete rout. As it was, just a thorough beating. Never in any doubt.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:38 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,512,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

And yet, all those teams you listed STILL have more of a shot to go to the game than any undefeated Mid-Major does.

Call it "crying" all you want. It's still B.S. And there's still no way to justify it. Also, even if both BSU and TCU finish undefeated and everyone else loses, someone will still find a way to keep them out.

This system isn't about competition. It's just about money and marketing. Of course, fans of BCS schools couldn't care less, but that's fine.
It'll end one day....
Personally I wouldn't have a problem with putting TCU in the title game.

The problem with Boise is that it is impossible to tell if they are deserving or not. The WAC simply is terrible. The WAC winning percentage against other conferences is awful. And it's not just BCS conferences the WAC stinks it up against.

From 2006-2009 the WAC went 9-21 against the PAC-10, 2-13 against the Big 12, 1-10 against the SEC.

From 2006-2009 the Big Ten went 10-6 against the Big East and 7-5 against the SEC and 3-5 against the ACC.

It's safe to say a one-loss Big Ten is almost certainly more deserving than an undefeated WAC team.
There's no doubt Boise is a good team. It's just impossible to tell how good playing in the WAC.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
There were also a couple years where USC was likely the best team in the country except they would blow their case by losing to marginal Stanford or Oregon State teams. Deserving AQ schools definitely get the shaft more often than the mid-majors.

Several years ago the mid-majors did get shafted because they were not allowed to compete, however, it seems in recent years the pendulum has swung the other way. The current system, while far from perfect, is more friendly to the mid-majors than any format in the modern era. TCU, Hawaii, Boise State, and Utah do not step foot into the "BCS" bowls under the old system. It's not like we're regressing.
True. I never could figure out 2007. LSU loses to Arkansas and gets in. USC loses to Oregon State and is eliminated. WVU loses to Pitt and is eliminated.

I wonder how much eSECpn had to do with that.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:52 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,711,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
True. I never could figure out 2007. LSU loses to Arkansas and gets in. USC loses to Oregon State and is eliminated. WVU loses to Pitt and is eliminated.

I wonder how much eSECpn had to do with that.
Didn't Ohio State back in somehow, too? That was a weird year all around. USF was #2 for a week...ugh.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Didn't Ohio State back in somehow, too? That was a weird year all around. USF was #2 for a week...ugh.
CAL and Missouri both were number 2 that year also. LOLs.

People say Ohio State backed in but they didn't. They had the best record of any of the BCS conference schools. They were ranked 5th or something the last weekend and everyone lost. LSU was 7th that last weekend.

People also said how tough the SEC was that year and how weak the Big Ten was. The SEC went 13-9 against opponents from other BCS conferences while the Big Ten went 12-9. 13-9 was supposedly the mark of the best conference ever. LOLs.

Though I do admit that wasn't a very good Ohio State team. I'm still not sure how we won more than 7 games.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:41 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,616,481 times
Andrew Lucks Heisman moment? Love this clip. If he's top three for the Heisman, you will see it alot. :55 for the slo-mo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFbqC...layer_embedded#!

Old 10-13-2010, 06:17 PM

18,234 posts, read 25,894,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And all that, btw, is all the more reason to get a playoff in my eyes....
Probably the most sensible post I've read in a while.

A little reminder to keep things civil. Got a couple reports here and decided to abbreviate things a little. A reminder: personal insults are uncalled for and are against the T.O.S.!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:45 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,130,029 times
My 2 cents

1. Not a Bama fan at all-Hook Em Horns!!- but a slide down to 8th? Kinda steep??

2. Will OSU lose at Camp Randell?

3. Your BCS buster team?? Mine Utah. If they can get passed Air Forces triple option game then TCU at home will be a good one!!

4. Does NC State still have a chance to win its first ACC title since 1979?

5. Who wants to see a rematch of last yrs Rose Bowl as the BCS Nat Champ game? Oregon vs OSU??? Think its better than anyone vs. Bosie St.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:32 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,684,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Boise States strength of schedule is no where near Ohio State's. Or Nebraska. TCU plays a tougher scehdule too.

Anyone that says Boise plays a comparable schedule to Ohio State is crazy.

Ohio State would beat VaTech or Boise by 21. They would beat Oregon State by 14. Nebraska wouldn't exactly have trouble with those teams either.
Boise State's schedule will be weaker than Ohio State's, but not by far. Nebraska's schedule has been pathetic so far, but will get better after playing Texas, TAMU, and Oklahoma State. Still... Nebraska has a completely crap schedule this year.

Ohio State really isn't that impressive, and they'll drop a game this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football