Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 01:51 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,441,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I am a Boise fan, and I'm still a Boise fan even after last night's loss. I still think they deserve to go to a BCS bowl, or at least a New Year's Day game (Outback Bowl, Capital One Bowl, etc.) over a three-loss Big East team. This was one freak loss -- it happens. Nevada is a really good team.

I don't understand why everyone hates Boise. What is there to hate about a non-traditional power from Idaho that built their program into a national powerhouse? Why not hate teams like Ohio State, which are media darlings every year and almost always lose their big games? Why not hate Oklahoma, which is always overrated?
Personally, I'm sick and tired of being told by Boise, their PR firm, and their fans that they deserve a NC shot after playing a WAC schedule that includes teams like.. Hawaii, Louisiana Tech, Idaho, Utah State, New Mexico State, and San Jose State.

Yeah, maybe Nevada is "a really good team", but I've got some news for you, schools that compete in the top conferences play really good teams almost every week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 02:00 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,512,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Which is sad because the Mountain West is far better than the Big East (in football). There is no way the Big East should be AQ -- it's a really weak conferences and has been ever since Miami and VT left.
Since Miami and VaTech left the Big East the conference is:

10-6 vs SEC
8-5 vs Big 12
23-28 vs ACC
3-4 vs PAC-10
7-15 vs Big Ten

Overall Record 51-58 or 47% winning percentage.

Mountain West is:
4-3 vs SEC
5-5 vs ACC
18-22 PAC-10
12-15 vs Big 12
2-8 vs Big Ten

Overall Record is 41-53 or 44% winning percentage.

(Editing the last sentence)

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-27-2010 at 06:35 PM..

Old 11-27-2010, 02:18 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,711,074 times
The Big X is going to be a mess at top this year...too bad they didn't start the championship game this year. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out tomorrow. I'm guessing Sparty gets left out of the BCS, Wisc is going to the Rose and Ohio State to the Sugar.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:58 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,025,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Personally, I'm sick and tired of being told by Boise, their PR firm, and their fans that they deserve a NC shot after playing a WAC schedule that includes teams like.. Hawaii, Louisiana Tech, Idaho, Utah State, New Mexico State, and San Jose State.

Yeah, maybe Nevada is "a really good team", but I've got some news for you, schools that compete in the top conferences play really good teams almost every week.

Meh, as I said before.....

Back in the day (70s-90s roughly),

Big 8....Only Huskers and Sooners mattered (maybe Colorado in 60s)

Big 10....From 60s to 80s Michigan and OSU, everyone else was basically a scrub

Pac-10....Aside from a little Stanford run in early 70s, USC and UCLA OWNED the conference, I'll give ya Washington at the late 80s though.

Penn States 1986 National Championship sched hardly looked like murders row, they didn't have such a hard schedule EVERY YEAR, but they built up cache from previous years anyways.

However, they actually had real out of conference schedules in those days. Beat the best to be the best, not like today.

I don't see how Boise State/TCU is really much different from any of the above scenarios.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:39 PM

977 posts, read 1,958,379 times
The question is, where do you draw the line between a schedule that is sufficiently difficult and one that is too weak? Boise and TCU have higher SOS than Oregon and Wisconsin, and only slightly lower than Ohio State and Oklahoma State. Stanford is between the two. So does it really matter what conference a team is in, if a WAC and MWC team have an overall SOS in the same range as Big 10, Big 12, and PAC 10 teams?

College Football Rankings - CBSSports.com

Old 11-27-2010, 04:26 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,025,407 times
Dude, don't you realize it now?

If you are not a big NAME you don't matter. ESPN just talked about the one loss teams and how everyone is over looking Stanford. That's because Stanford isn't a sexy brand name.

It's all Brand Names.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:35 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,130,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
How exactly does this hurt TCU's chance of EVER going to a Championship game?

For one thing, unless New Mexico pumps their enitre team with P.E.D.'s, I don't see them ruining thier chance at back to back undefeated seasons. And there's still the possibility of Auburn losing the championship game. We just have to wait and see.

And second, it's not like TCU's gonna be a non-AQ forever. Hell, they really have no choice when you think about it cause there's no gaurantee that the Mountian West will gain AQ status. The Big East seems to be the only way for them to go and I doubt they pass a chance on this...
BSU is the best of the non-AQ's. TCU is ok but really dont know how good they are. In last years game agains BSU they really didnt do much. Im just saying, that BSU loss to Nevada, is gonna make the decision makers look , not just twice but 4 or 5 times before the invite the BSU/TCU/UTAH's to a nat champ game over a 1 loss FBS team.

Rome wasnt built in a day. It took time. BSU's Rome just had a 8.5 quake and it aint pretty.

Auburns not gonna lose to South Carolina. Did you watch the Iron Bowl. I know that not the game to be played next weekend but, I got a millio on Auburn.

TCU isnt gonna get an invite to a conference for maybe 2 or 3 more years. They should ask the Big XII. The current Big XII that is. If they want to make it to the NC game then you need to be in a powerhouse conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Don't worry, I hate Ohio State and Oklahoma just the same.....
me too....wanna be friends!!??

Old 11-27-2010, 05:56 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,711,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
BSU is the best of the non-AQ's. TCU is ok but really dont know how good they are. In last years game agains BSU they really didnt do much. Im just saying, that BSU loss to Nevada, is gonna make the decision makers look , not just twice but 4 or 5 times before the invite the BSU/TCU/UTAH's to a nat champ game over a 1 loss FBS team.
I agree. Fair or not, all the non-AQs, especially BSU and TCU, are connected at the hip this season.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:30 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,929,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post

Rome wasnt built in a day. It took time. BSU's Rome just had a 8.5 quake and it aint pretty.

Auburns not gonna lose to South Carolina. Did you watch the Iron Bowl. I know that not the game to be played next weekend but, I got a millio on Auburn.

TCU isnt gonna get an invite to a conference for maybe 2 or 3 more years. They should ask the Big XII. The current Big XII that is. If they want to make it to the NC game then you need to be in a powerhouse conference.

I think TCU DOES know how good it is. They've been successful under Patterson and getting back to that winning tradition they had. This may not be the 1930's/1950's TCU, but they are definately not the cockroach program they were a few decades ago.

Also, TCU is not going to the Big XII. If it didn't happen when the conference formed in '96 OR anytime recently when they were putting up seasons like this, what makes you think they want them now? The Big XII NEVER wanted TCU. There's too much bad blood between the two.

And I still got my hopes. Remember, BSU wasn't supposed to lose to Nevada, so I wouldn't say the SEC is a lock for Auburn.

Just sayin'.....

Old 11-27-2010, 06:40 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,067,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I wouldn't say the SEC is a lock for Auburn.

Just sayin'.....
I have a feeling that South Carolina will beat Auburn!! Yep, you heard it here first folks... SOUTH CAROLINA over AUBURN!! Write it down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football