Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:50 PM

146 posts, read 313,789 times

Advertisements

I love the salt and pepper shakers I see when we go on vacations, but I'm afraid to start collecting them for the fear of expense, space and consumption.
We do, however, buy an ornament and post card from each vacation place we visit. I write the vacation date on the bottom of the ornament, and I take a picture of it, which I place in our vacation photo album. It is fun to hang them on the tree Xmastime, and to remember the good times we had on that vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 12:43 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
I collect Roseville Planters/Flower Pots. I fell into doing that when trying to find flower pots for my new garden windows years ago. I really want to stop collecting them because I dont want to be one of those people that you see on Hoarders. But they're so lovely (to me, anyway) it's hard to resist when a reasonably-priced one goes up for sale on eBay.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/texasfirewheel/HomeChristmasCactiandWoodLazySus-13.jpg (broken link)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/texasfirewheel/HomeKitchen013-3.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-22-2011, 12:46 PM

justnice, in another lifetime, I used to collect plates from different places we visited, all over the country. I displayed them on my kitchen walls. They were nice to look at and a nice memory. So I understand your interest in salt-and-pepper shakers. And buying an ornament and postcard from each place is a good idea, as well.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:49 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justnice View Post
We do, however, buy an ornament and post card from each vacation place we visit.
Each Christmas, my wife and I exchange ornaments. They're supposed to reflect/represent a major event that occurred during the year. As one example, one year my wife gave me a wooden Bear ornament, with an appendectomy scar carefully added, to commemorate the obvious (the hospital, surgeon and anesthesiologist each screwed up big-time, so I had a much rougher time than I should have). As a more positive example, I gave my wife a Leprechaun ornament to commemorate our absolutely fantastic 2-week trip to Ireland.

I didn't really think of the ornaments as a collection, until now -- not so much the ornaments, but what they represent. Together they're a collection of memories over the 36 years of our lives together.

No wonder we need a bigger tree...

Last edited by Nighteyes; 08-22-2011 at 01:59 PM..

Old 08-22-2011, 02:56 PM

What a nice idea, Nighteyes!

Old 08-22-2011, 03:15 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I collect very old European Porcelain from the late 1800's to no later then 1920's. I collect and have a passion for Limoges Porcelain, Nippon Asian Porcelain, and Bavarian Porcelain.
I collect and love the very higly decorated with gold gilt plates, and bowls, and other decorative pieces. Infact according to the book of Limoges edition 3 i have 7 plates that are in the book of limoges and do have value. Would not matter if they had value or not, i love them.

I collect Old Jim Beam Bottles, infact some of them still have the booze inside.

I collect certain antique pieces, and furnishings.

I also have a huge Dolphin collection pretty big and eagles.
I also collect Limoges tea sets, they are beautiful. Infact i am proud of myself just won a limoges plate on ebay that has a value of $250.00 kid you not won it for $40.00 it is in my book too.

What ever your passion, and your love go for it.
I also started collecting very fun old antique Hamm's beer scenorama signs and wine signs for my vintage tuscan theme kitchen and family room.

I kind of like the tuscan mixed in with rustic pieces and wrought iron pieces, as well as old vintage italian porcelain, ceramic and glass.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:47 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Texas firewheel, I'll be on hoarders before you are...LOL SIgh, I saw some funny things being collected. Who knew so many people collected rocks? Or the bandannas, that's funny. Well, I collect milk-glass and dolls. The dolls were kind of an investment and are mostly out of sight.

Except for one who lives in the library. I have tons of the cheap milkglass, mostly from thrift stores, although I did get a set of lamps from Craigslist. I have lots of hobnail and other cool pieces. My favorite is a little tray shaped like a woman's hand.

I recently got a bunch of cookbooks/booklets from the 30's-60's and it is SO COOL to see images with some of the milkglass items I have...back when they were in vogue. I actually use a lot of my collection as containers, and I use a couple of the lamps as well. I put flowers in the vases and eat off of the dishes. Of course a ton of it is displayed, but...like the quote from Galaxy Quest..."They're everywhere!"

Old 08-25-2011, 10:45 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Texas firewheel, I'll be on hoarders before you are...LOL SIgh, I saw some funny things being collected. Who knew so many people collected rocks? Or the bandannas, that's funny. Well, I collect milk-glass and dolls. The dolls were kind of an investment and are mostly out of sight.

Except for one who lives in the library. I have tons of the cheap milkglass, mostly from thrift stores, although I did get a set of lamps from Craigslist. I have lots of hobnail and other cool pieces. My favorite is a little tray shaped like a woman's hand.

I recently got a bunch of cookbooks/booklets from the 30's-60's and it is SO COOL to see images with some of the milkglass items I have...back when they were in vogue. I actually use a lot of my collection as containers, and I use a couple of the lamps as well. I put flowers in the vases and eat off of the dishes. Of course a ton of it is displayed, but...like the quote from Galaxy Quest..."They're everywhere!"
Nothing funny about collecting rocks! Well, maybe the look on my son's faces when I tell them to go unload the truck!

Besides, I actually use them. Retaining walls, rock gardens, paperweights and bookends. I also have a couple of round flat ones that make great bedwarmers in the winter. I put them on top of our woodstove till they're nice and toasty, wrap a towel around them and put them where our feet go. By the time we go to bed, it's nice and warm. It's my only collection I don't have to dust.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:15 AM

I'd really love to see photos of these collections.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:36 AM

645 posts, read 1,275,800 times
Dust...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques