Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 05:27 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,264,594 times

Advertisements

Figured I would add some pictures to this thread.

Here is some of my older Detective comics...dated around the early 40's. The yellow cover on the right is one of my favorite books. It's got the world's greatest Detective (Batman) hooked up with Scottland Yard, who is known for their detective work.

This 1940's Flash comic on the right has a small article on Hitler!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 04:14 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,264,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CQBE45 View Post
Knowledge. You never stop learning. You've been to the top and still are going. It's NEVER enough....... Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive. Only hits count. A close miss is still a miss. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough nor using cover correctly. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movements are preferred.) If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun. Use a gun that works EVERY TIME. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty. Always cheat = always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose. Have a plan. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work. Use cover and concealment as much as possible. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours. Don't drop your guard. Always tactically reload and threat scan 360 degrees. Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them). Decide to be AGGRESSIVE enough, QUICKLY enough. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot up you will get. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with a "4". [b]NOW YOU ARE BAD

I'm always excited to see firearm enthusiast but this really doesn't belong in this thread. You're not representing firearm enthusiast in a good way posting these remarks here instead of say pictures of your own firearm collection. City-Data doesn't have to allow firearms discussions but they do along with political discussions. So we need to respect them and keep this discussion to appropriate threads.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:49 PM

3,489 posts, read 6,508,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonapeach5000 View Post
Hi Sweden,

I collect names too. I'm a writer. Do you have this firstname: RAVI
We named our male cat Ravi. It is Hindu for "sun". We named our female cat -- Ravi's litter-mate, of course -- Luna. That, of course, is "moon".

Old 08-15-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
I collect years and pounds.
Dang it, I purely resemble that remark!!!

Old 08-15-2011, 05:17 PM

I have gone thru this entire thread, and no one else collects what I do.

Background:

(A) When the US entered World War II in 1941, there was an extreme lack of knives and other edged implements with which to equip our soldiers, sailors and Marines.

(B) The call went out to help allieviate this shortage.

(C) My father, already in the US Army, answered the call. He made knives and other edged implements for distribution to troops in his outfits. I still have a few of them.

My Collection:

I learned a love of knives and other edged implements from my father. Therefore, though I do not make them as my father did, I collect and deal in US military edged implements (both issue and private-purchase) from about 1940 though about 1980. My primary focus is on knives and bayonets, though I have occasionally dabbled in other edged implements - both US and non-US - from the same period.

I cannot begin to tell you, in this short space, of the extreme variety and diversity of US military edged implements that came from that period of time. My collection is contained in several storage boxes that reside in a floor-to-ceiling cabinet in our garage. I have an itemized list that details each knife/edged implement, its history, and its location in storage.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 08-15-2011 at 05:30 PM..

Old 08-19-2011, 07:49 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times
I collect "railroad paper" -- books and back-dated magazines with the rail industtry as the subject. But my real passion is employees timetables; these were manuals periodically issued to all employees engaged in the physical operation of the railroad.

The idea was, in theory, that if every train stuck to its schedule, the conflicting moves could always meet at pre-arranged places. Additional moves, or the problems that arose when one or more trains fell behind schedule, could be addrssed via written orders.

And those orders, in turn, were expected to follow a specifc syntax which varied very little from one railroad to the next. As new technologies, procedures and situations arose, the "book of rules" was adapted to deal with them. In later years, two men, Harry Forman and later, Peter Josserand, came t be recognized as the precedent setters and "court of last resort" for the interpretation of rail operating rules.

Eventually, better methods of communication and remote-control combined with the shrinking of the rail network to fewer, but more haeavily-used lines to make fine-tuned dispatching by "timetable and train order" a lost art. What the Fraternity of the Iron Horse refers to as "ETT's" are still published, but they're generally smaller and a lot less intersting.

But it's amazing the amount of information a well-schooled railroad buff can discern from one of those documents from the era between (roughly) 1900 and 1975.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:31 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,529 times
Just scrolling thru the general forums and this one caught my eye.

I collect a few different things. I have at least one rock from every state i've visited. They go well with the thousand or so i've collected just because I liked them.

Petrified wood

Beads ( I make jewelry )

Driftwood

Old cookbooks

Antique enamel cookware

Water pitchers

Old bottles

A few other things have caught my eye but first, I need a larger house.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:27 AM

560 posts, read 848,954 times
Oh yes - larger house would be my need so I try to restrain myself! I love glass but decorative not so much dishes. We moved to a WA state island about 3 years ago and have become obsessed with beach glass. Easy to store and find things to do with.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:29 PM

5,585 posts, read 984,311 times
I collect snowmen & recipes. First started collecting snowmen when we bought our first artificial tree. one of these days when I have a curio I will start to collect crystal figurines.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:24 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,396,101 times
I collect cookie jars---started when I inherited a cookie jar from my grandmother, a smiley pig. since then I've added smiley jars, creamers, pitchers, etc. they have gone way up in value, perhaps if we get desperate I might sell them, they go for $500+ on Ebay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques