Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
A live music venue akin to the Norva in Norfolk, like 750-1000 cap which brings in national touring acts would probably do really well too. There's nothing like that east of Raleigh; back in my touring days we almost never played NC unless we were coming back down from Richmond through to Atlanta because Raleigh and Chapel Hill were so far away.

Those venues bring in more established acts with older fanbases with more disposable income who tend to make it an overnight trip- meaning hotels, restaurants, and shopping. Plus it'd draw from the entire region east of Raleigh, not just the local metro, similar to minor league baseball.
Would the proposed Preforming Arts Center do this? Or would that be too bourgeoisie? We definitely need something to bring in bigger acts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 11:23 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
My thought/hope for the warehouse district.
  • The purple areas are in the ECU master plan
  • The yellow areas are projects that are going to occur
  • The brown areas are possible/hopeful projects.
  • The orange area is the Ficklen Warehouse
  • The green area is the park I mentioned, maybe a Vets Park. Just a thought

That would indeed bring a lot of other redevelopment through there.
Overall a good basic plan, but I'm not sure about placing a park on a busy corner, especially a Veterans Park (traffic, fumes, noise). Not sure if GPD wants to give up their parking lot, but if things get rolling, eventually they may have to. Lastly: Are those brick warehouses on the south side of 10th owned by ECU? I'd like to see them renovated. The metal warehouses in their vicinity have "quick cash sale by ECU" signs in front of them. If this land is owned by ECU, why would they want to sell them (and not tear them down) if this land is in their master plan?

Old 08-10-2012, 12:25 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Would the proposed Preforming Arts Center do this? Or would that be too bourgeoisie? We definitely need something to bring in bigger acts.
You mean the Theater Uptown project? Yeah I think that's meant for more high culture stuff. I'm thinking something that brings in mid-market pop music acts and comedians who generally tour theater-size venues. Like the Norva or Orange Peel in Asheville, Lincoln Theatre in Raleigh, or Amos' in Charlotte. Something that can do both 18+ and the occasional all ages show. Considering the size of ECU it's surprising there isn't something like that already.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:46 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk_md View Post
Um... no. Not when there is a 850 bed level 1 trauma/cardiovascular/children's/cancer medical center 5 miles away. You might get a clinic or *maybe* an urgent care after 5-10 years and a doubling in the Winterville population, but let's be reasonable here.
Yeah but some cities Greenville's size or smaller sometime have two hospitals such as Florence, SC. So I would expect for Vidant to someday open a hospital in Winterville once the population rises a bit higher.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:45 PM

54 posts, read 75,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
You mean the Theater Uptown project? Yeah I think that's meant for more high culture stuff. I'm thinking something that brings in mid-market pop music acts and comedians who generally tour theater-size venues. Like the Norva or Orange Peel in Asheville, Lincoln Theatre in Raleigh, or Amos' in Charlotte. Something that can do both 18+ and the occasional all ages show. Considering the size of ECU it's surprising there isn't something like that already.
The performing arts center is a project that is being done by ECU. Its supposed to be down on 1st street across from where you park now for the boat ramp by the town common. The uptown theare is being done by uptown greenville or private donations im guessing. It would be nice and is needed for both to eventually happen for downtown greenville to take a step forward.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:08 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Yeah but some cities Greenville's size or smaller sometime have two hospitals such as Florence, SC.
You've heard the real estate saying "Location, location, location"? That's why Florence has 2 hospitals. Florence is a hub. It is right beside I-95 and all roads in the area, including numerous US roads, lead to Florence.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Overall a good basic plan, but I'm not sure about placing a park on a busy corner, especially a Veterans Park (traffic, fumes, noise). Not sure if GPD wants to give up their parking lot, but if things get rolling, eventually they may have to. Lastly: Are those brick warehouses on the south side of 10th owned by ECU? I'd like to see them renovated. The metal warehouses in their vicinity have "quick cash sale by ECU" signs in front of them. If this land is owned by ECU, why would they want to sell them (and not tear them down) if this land is in their master plan?
GPD will have to give up that parking lot sooner or later. Maybe they will use the parking deck, if it is close to the PD.

The State/Greenville owns all of the land from 10th, Washington, 12, railroad tracks, minus two parcels. ECU isn't selling the land. A lot of the "back operations" and police department will go there. Not sure if they will renovate or what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Yeah but some cities Greenville's size or smaller sometime have two hospitals such as Florence, SC. So I would expect for Vidant to someday open a hospital in Winterville once the population rises a bit higher.
I just don't see them investing in a full scale hospital. A major clinic/urgent care/minor emergency department. Something that doesn't require inpatient stuff.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:03 PM

232 posts, read 475,091 times
Google maps now has traffic info for all major roads in Greenville. Used to only be for 264

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=green...m&z=12&layer=t

Old 08-12-2012, 07:39 PM

68 posts, read 119,748 times
Dairy Queen will open on Tuesday. Dicks in September and Bonefish in October

Old 08-12-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIR8tes12 View Post
Google maps now has traffic info for all major roads in Greenville. Used to only be for 264

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=green...m&z=12&layer=t
That is pretty awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina