Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2022, 07:13 AM

455 posts, read 527,863 times

Advertisements

Any updates on the Ficklen project? Seems quite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2022, 08:50 AM

They heard my question!

Two items under consideration for developing The Ficklen and a new apartment complex in the present science museum location.

I like this on multiple fronts! More people living uptown, more parking. Utilizing the Cupola Building that has been vacant! I also imagine this will add some height to the Dickinson Ave area.

https://www.reflector.com/news/local...efbc4252d.html

Old 05-06-2022, 09:15 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
They heard my question!

Two items under consideration for developing The Ficklen and a new apartment complex in the present science museum location.

I like this on multiple fronts! More people living uptown, more parking. Utilizing the Cupola Building that has been vacant! I also imagine this will add some height to the Dickinson Ave area.

https://www.reflector.com/news/local...efbc4252d.html
Was just gonna post this. Looks like the next phase of a building boom for Uptown!

I'd imagine 3-4 level parking deck with 3 story apartments? Or maybe they'll have enough space to put the deck on the back of the property. Either way, it will be better than the service station lot on that corner.

Ultimately, I'd love to see some real money put towards a large 4-5 story building that could house the art museum and the science museum together at the block where the current art museum is.

And I'm glad to see that the group originally doing the ficklen warehouse was able to get linked up with Taft. They needed some help and Taft has a ton of experience with these type of projects. I'm excited about the food hall & hotel again!

Old 05-06-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Was just gonna post this. Looks like the next phase of a building boom for Uptown!

I'd imagine 3-4 level parking deck with 3 story apartments? Or maybe they'll have enough space to put the deck on the back of the property. Either way, it will be better than the service station lot on that corner.

Ultimately, I'd love to see some real money put towards a large 4-5 story building that could house the art museum and the science museum together at the block where the current art museum is.

And I'm glad to see that the group originally doing the ficklen warehouse was able to get linked up with Taft. They needed some help and Taft has a ton of experience with these type of projects. I'm excited about the food hall & hotel again!
I wasn't aware that the original group with the Ficklen was having some trouble but it just felt like things had stalled.

Like you I would like to see, and I believe the city would benefit from, a museum. As you mentioned ti could encompass art, science, and add in history until such a time separate entities might be required. Call the Greenville Museum or something similarly broad.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:11 AM

Well I hadn't heard or seen aby update from the Ficklen project since Feb 2021. I know covid has taken a toll on everything, but I think the fact that they're both linked to this project shows they may have had some trouble. Just speculation on my part really.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:17 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,898 times
I see absolutely nothing wrong with any of the proposed buildings. It's a win-win for everyone involved.

Having more people live in housing in that area is a win. Business in that area would love nothing more.

Moving the Science Museum to the Cupola Building, another huge win.

The Science Museum has done the best they can do with what they have but the Cupola Building is must better ascetically pleasing for a museum than a building that looks like an old service station that has been repurposed.

I really hope all this works out, including the Ficklen project.

Last edited by jpirate; 05-06-2022 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: e

Old 05-10-2022, 01:11 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,597,631 times
Vidant is now officially ECU Health.

https://www.ecuhealth.org/

Old 05-10-2022, 02:14 PM

City Council approved the Chris Smith Mountain Bike Trails and the Bicylce Skills Park and Pump Track at Wildwood Park last night according to the Mayor. https://www.facebook.com/search/top?...%20wood%20park

Another great entertain/attraction for Greenville. We need more!

Old 05-12-2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
City Council approved the Chris Smith Mountain Bike Trails and the Bicylce Skills Park and Pump Track at Wildwood Park last night according to the Mayor. https://www.facebook.com/search/top?...%20wood%20park

Another great entertain/attraction for Greenville. We need more!

This is excellent. Greenville has to continue to find things to attract people that aren't necessarily mainstream. The fact that will be one of the few tracks of it's type in all of NC, SC, and VA is huge.

It's also time they get serious about an athletic complex. I'm not just talking a minor league stadium. Pretty much every youth sport facility is sub par when compared to surrounding areas. If they want to attract these tournaments and bring people in, they're going to have to provide a nice facility for people to come to. Having the Little League softball tournament is great. They have to leverage that into making it a permanent fixture of Greenville. Similar to how Williamsport, PA is synonymous with the LLWS.

-------------------
Greenville council signs on to Ficklen hotel, apartment complex projects

https://www.reflector.com/news/local...80f60fff2.html

Quote:
The estimated value of the apartment complex and parking deck is $30 million and the hotel project’s value is $20 million, Cowin said. It’s estimated the city will get $1.3 million in tax revenue over a 15-year period.

Old 05-12-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
This is excellent. Greenville has to continue to find things to attract people that aren't necessarily mainstream. The fact that will be one of the few tracks of it's type in all of NC, SC, and VA is huge.

It's also time they get serious about an athletic complex. I'm not just talking a minor league stadium. Pretty much every youth sport facility is sub par when compared to surrounding areas. If they want to attract these tournaments and bring people in, they're going to have to provide a nice facility for people to come to. Having the Little League softball tournament is great. They have to leverage that into making it a permanent fixture of Greenville. Similar to how Williamsport, PA is synonymous with the LLWS.

-------------------
Greenville council signs on to Ficklen hotel, apartment complex projects

https://www.reflector.com/news/local...80f60fff2.html

Love the quick approval from the city for the infrastructure upgrades to see these two developments happen. Will make the opposite side of Ficklen an attractive development opportunity too.

---------------------------------------------------

With regard to the athletics facilities I agree whole heartedly. I heard recently of a private group interested in building a multi field baseball/softball facility somewhere in Greenville.

If Greenville has the opportunity to be THE home for the softball LLWS is should JUMP on that opportunity. I do not know if they do, but I had also heard rumor they would love to have a permanent home. Is it not possible to combine these efforts? Get the softball LLWS to make Greenville their permanent home. Renovate Guy Smith into THE championship stadium for the LLWS. Renovate the adjacent park(s), perhaps work with this private party and PCGSL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina