Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 07:37 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I'm assuming it the same deal that ECU has with the Office of the Registrar next door. They lease the building for a set number of years.
That’s what I was wondering - if they lease it, a private entity owns it and isn’t tax exempt. So the city is still making some money from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 10:24 AM

38 posts, read 41,697 times
Crave Restaurant in Uptown has closed. Unfortunate to see a local business go, but unsurprising. They seemed to have trouble finding their niche in Uptown. Their sister restaurant, Fire, is still going strong.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:50 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Decided to post this article as it pertains to a debate some of us had a few pages back. Though I largely maintain the views I had, I do find it interesting that Wells Fargo didn’t have local support in Greenville though they have multiple locations here.

City Council approves change in banking services - Daily Reflector

Old 11-09-2018, 07:30 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Decided to post this article as it pertains to a debate some of us had a few pages back. Though I largely maintain the views I had, I do find it interesting that Wells Fargo didn’t have local support in Greenville though they have multiple locations here.

City Council approves change in banking services - Daily Reflector
On a related note...Wells Fargo shut down its branch in downtown Windsor about a month or so ago. The Town and County had moved its accounts to Southern Bank awhile back because it got better service. Wells Fargo is hurting nationally and is cutting back everywhere it can. Not much different than a restaurant chain or retail chain shuttering storefronts.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
On a related note...Wells Fargo shut down its branch in downtown Windsor about a month or so ago. The Town and County had moved its accounts to Southern Bank awhile back because it got better service. Wells Fargo is hurting nationally and is cutting back everywhere it can. Not much different than a restaurant chain or retail chain shuttering storefronts.
I don’t think you were involved in the debate a few pages back, but the bold-print is essentially the argument I was making. Neither Windsor, or in our case Greenville/Pitt County, owe any bank a relationship and therefore the accounts must be reviewed on a bi-annual basis. We’re saving, in accordance with the article, approximately $130,000 by switching to First Bank. As that’s tax-payer money, our representatives owed us such as savings and review long before Wells Fargo decided to close local operations. We would’ve continued being finessed if WF didn’t close for the sake of having a good relationship with a bank that isn’t loyal to our city/county. It’s foolish.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:17 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
I don’t think you were involved in the debate a few pages back, but the bold-print is essentially the argument I was making. Neither Windsor, or in our case Greenville/Pitt County, owe any bank a relationship and therefore the accounts must be reviewed on a bi-annual basis. We’re saving, in accordance with the article, approximately $130,000 by switching to First Bank. As that’s tax-payer money, our representatives owed us such as savings and review long before Wells Fargo decided to close local operations. We would’ve continued being finessed if WF didn’t close for the sake of having a good relationship with a bank that isn’t loyal to our city/county. It’s foolish.
Well...we all saw that Wells Fargo (and Wachovia before that) shared a building downtown with Greenville Utilities, so there was no way the City was going to move its money away from a bank that rented space from a City entity.

I agree it should be looked at, but I dont blame the City for not doing that if they felt like the relationship better served the community and especially downtown. It would be better if there was a local bank that Greenville could have its money, because expanding corporate bank jobs locally helps the local and regional economy.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:43 AM

Not Greenville development related, but great job Rocky Mount.

https://www.rockymountmills.com

Old 11-13-2018, 07:09 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
Bad news for Farmville.

Tobacco company to lay off 565 | The Wilson Times

Old 11-13-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I had no clue that many people still worked there. The place looks so empty and dead when you drive by.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Not Greenville development related, but great job Rocky Mount.

https://www.rockymountmills.com
Great job Capitol Broadcasting.

Rocky Mount Mills | Capitol Broadcasting Company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina