Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 09:01 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times

Advertisements

9 new businesses set to open in Greenville offering options and jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 06:50 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
Interesting - at the end they say a new pizza place will open at the Boundary. I've been wondering how long it was going to be until they finally got a business to open down there. Seems like a no brainer for 80% of the year when students are in town, order a pizza..take the elevator downstairs, grab said pizza & go back to your room.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:19 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
There is a business there but it doesn't have a sign. It has neon signs that say OPEN and occasionally one lit up that says BEER I can't tell driving by what the place actually is. Maybe it's just a convenience store.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:54 AM

112 posts, read 136,339 times
I walked by it the other day, seems like a nice convenience store. I also poked my head in the window next door to it and saw a permit for Smoothie King.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:07 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
Below is the link for the Phase II presentation. It helps explain wth examples the schematic drawings a little better.

http://www.greenvillenc.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=12021
Very nice presentation. I'm definitely feeling Concept A a lot better than B. Great placement for the amphitheater and it looks like it flows a lot better than Concept B.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:46 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Panel authorizes sale of theater to developer (thought this was already done?)

Quote:
The redevelopment of the historic theater building on Fifth Street is set to enter its next phase now that a Greenville commission approved the sale of the property to developers.

The Redevelopment Commission during its meeting Tuesday voted unanimously to accept an offer from Raleigh-based developer CommunitySmith to purchase the Uptown Theater property for $20,000. The sale is contingent on a final vote by the City Council on Thursday.

CommunitySmith also was involved in the redevelopment of the Superblock complex at Contanche and Fifth, Dickinson Avenue Public House and Trollingwood Taproom & Brewery on Dickinson.

“I feel very confident about this project moving forward,” Redevelopment Commission member Judy Siguaw said Tuesday. “CommunitySmith has done some excellent work in Greenville.”

The city purchased the theater — built in 1914 and closed in the late 1990s — in 2008 for about $281,000 with general obligation bond funds designated for downtown redevelopment.

CommunitySmith intends to remodel the theater and rent it to an established private operator, Raleigh-based Lincoln Theater. The buidling will be designed as a flexible performance theater capable of accommodating various sizes of crowds, music, events and public uses.

Earlier this year, the city and CommunitySmith signed a letter of intent to begin the partnership for work on the theater. Under the agreement, CommunitySmith will spend a minimum of $1 million on the project. The city agreed to do environmental cleanup and building stabilization work as well as improvements to an adjacent parking lot on Washington Street.
The agreement came with several requirements, including that the developer purchase it for $20,000; invest a minimum of $1 million for the project; use it for a live performance venue for at least 10 years; and complete redevelopment work by March 2018.

During its Aug. 3 meeting, the Redevelopment Commission approved a resolution authorizing the sale of the property through an upset bid method in accordance with state laws pertaining to the sale of public-owned property.
Under the letter of intent between the city and CommunitySmith, the city is selling the property for $20,000. Under the upset bid method, another developer could have entered a higher bid to purchase the property. However, any potential bidder would have to fulfill the same terms of the agreement.

“There were no other bids submitted during the process,” said Tom Wisemiller, a planner with city government. “If approved, the sale will be finalized within 60 days of tonight’s meeting.”

CommunitySmith will begin renovation work as soon as environmental remediation and building stabilization is completed by the city. Wisemiller presented an update on the remediation project.

In March, IMEC Group LLC of Columbia, Md., was awarded a contract by the city for the project, which included putting a roof on the building.

Wisemiller said the original budget for this phase of the project was $290,000. The city received a $125,000 subgrant award from the Eastern North Carolina Brownfields Coalition, and the remaining $165,000 was allocated from City Center bond funds.
However, additional environmental cleanup and structural stabilization work will be necessary before this stage of the project is completed. The city is in the process of obtaining up to $50,000 more from the Brownfields subgrant to cover the additional expenses.

“The revised budget for this project is $340,000,” Wisemiller said. “Which will still put us well under budget after the work is completed.”

The city is using a portion of the unused project funds to conduct a design study on the city-owned Washington Street parking lot to make it more service-oriented to accommodate tour buses and delivery trucks for the theater and surrounding merchants.
“I’m glad to hear that we still are under budget .... although not quite as under budget as we were last month,” Jeremy King, the commission’s chairman, said. “But it’s good that we still have funds to go toward the parking study.”

The Greenville City Council will hold a final vote on the sale during its meeting on Thursday. The council will meet at 6 p.m. on the third floor of City Hall. The meeting will include a public comment period.

Contact Shannon Keith at skeith@reflector.com or at 252-329-9579.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:54 AM

This is rather insignificant, but they have gutted & are redoing that smaller building on Charles Blvd / 14th street in front of Harris Teeter. It has been there a really long time & no business that opened there ever seemed to make it. Hopefully, a nice new building design will bring respectable businesses there & they'll stay in business.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
This is rather insignificant, but they have gutted & are redoing that smaller building on Charles Blvd / 14th street in front of Harris Teeter. It has been there a really long time & no business that opened there ever seemed to make it. Hopefully, a nice new building design will bring respectable businesses there & they'll stay in business.
Someone at Stadium Sports told me they were moving into that building. They are knocking out the wall in between the 2 shops and making it one big store.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:02 PM

That would be a good move for them...I forget they are tucked back in that shopping center. This will give them much better visibility.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:14 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Big news for Greenville!

https://governor.nc.gov/press-releas...264-greenville

Quote:
Governor Pat McCrory announced today that North Carolina is seeking federal approval to designate U.S. 264 as a future interstate from the U.S. 264/64 split in Zebulon to Greenville.

“Creating stronger connections to jobs, education and healthcare is a critical part of my 25-Year Vision for transportation in North Carolina,” said Governor McCrory. “Greenville is the state’s largest metropolitan area currently not served by an interstate. Receiving this designation for U.S. 264 would support greater economic development in the Greenville area, and improve accessibility to the university, medical center and surrounding communities.”

State transportation officials will submit an application by September 16 to the Federal Highway Administration and the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials. These groups will consider the application and cooperatively make a decision on the designation. That decision is expected by the end of the year.

“There is a lot of support from public officials, the business community and citizens for an interstate that serves Greenville,” said State Transportation Secretary Nick Tennyson. “We are working with our federal and local partners to answer Greenville’s call for an improved transportation corridor.”

Earlier this year, Governor McCrory gained two future interstate designations: I-42 for the U.S. 70 Corridor between I-40 and Morehead City and I-87 for U.S. 64/17 between Raleigh and the Virginia state line. The new request begins where Future I-87 splits from U.S. 264.

“This designation would put Greenville and Pitt County on the global grid of interstate connectivity for economic development and recruitment,” said Greenville Mayor Allen Thomas. “I commend the collaboration with all levels of government and action taken by Governor McCrory today as we move forward seeking interstate designation. This is the result of great work with the Mayor’s office, Governor McCrory, N.C. DOT and our congressional representatives over the past four years.”
AASHTO's meeting is in November. I'm already placing bets on Future I-287. Any takers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina