Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2019, 06:10 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,763,453 times

Advertisements

The new strip mall on the corner of Arlington and Firetower will feature a Jimmy John's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 05:13 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,815,906 times
Winterville board denies rezoning for mixed-use development - Daily Reflector

Old 03-25-2019, 09:40 AM

The mall will soon have a new vacancy. Charlotte Russe is going out of business.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/07/inves...ing/index.html

Old 03-26-2019, 06:48 AM

217 posts, read 235,938 times
Bit of a strange location for this type of development, but yikes at the rationales provided.

This is why having a coherent and up-to-date comprehensive development ordinance is absolutely necessary in 2019.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:41 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,901 times
Council weighs options to fund stormwater system improvements - Daily Reflector

Of note:

Quote:
Sports Council

The City Council gave the Greenville-Pitt County Convention and Visitors Bureau the authority to allocate $275,000 from its $1.2 million capital expense budget to fund the creation of a sports council.

Sports tourism is the fast growing market segment in travel and tourism, said Andrew Schmidt, the bureau’s executive director, and it is considered recession proof.

“Parents who have kids in travel ball will spend money on travel ball and forgot vacations,” he said.

Sports tourism generated $8.25 million in fiscal year 2016-17 and nearly $14 million in fiscal year 2017-18, he said.

However, the growth is leveling off because the bureau lacks the staff and funding to pursue more tournaments and sporting events, Schmidt said. A council would increase efficiency and effectiveness of recruiting sports and more money allows for more marketing and recruitment.
Sports Council stuff starts on page 40 of this presentation from last night.

https://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=18413

I think it's a good idea. I think the city is a few years behind the ball on this, as travel sports have been popular for many years now, and they face competition from places like Wilson, Rocky Mount and Goldsboro that already have nicer facilities to host these teams.

Some of the potential opportunities seem promising, but unless ECU lets the city host some stuff on campus, there really aren't any top notch facilities they can use at the moment. But I'm eager to see what they come up with.

Last edited by michealbond; 03-26-2019 at 04:50 PM..

Old 03-26-2019, 05:02 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,854,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post

Of note:

I think it's a good idea. I think the city is a few years behind the ball on this, as travel sports have been popular for many years now, and they face competition from places like Wilson, Rocky Mount and Goldsboro that already have nicer facilities to host these teams.

Some of the potential opportunities seem promising, but unless ECU lets the city host some stuff on campus, there really aren't any top notch facilities they can use at the moment. But I'm eager to see what they come up with.
ECU does. The Beast of the East run by PGSA soccer is at the Intramural complex every year. And ECU has hosted State tournaments in the past at that facility.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:26 AM

217 posts, read 235,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post

Of note:

Greenville has been behind the ball, but our facilities aren't so far behind that we can't make up for it with the amenities offered in town as compared to the three cities you named above. We've generated more sports tourism revenue in the past year than the three named cities and have more lined up. CVB bringing on Paul Sheehan to focus on sporting events was a big move and it's been paying off big-time thus far.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:16 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,596,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Has anyone noticed at the intersection of Greenville BLVD and Red Banks that there are, what looks like, cell towers going up? I looked up 5G towers and it looked a lot like a few I saw, but I haven’t seen any announcement on what they could be. If we are getting 5G, that’s freakin’ awesome!
I drove by there today and it looks like a microcell without the antennas installed yet. Probably AT&T.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:11 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,438,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I drove by there today and it looks like a microcell without the antennas installed yet. Probably AT&T.
Interesting; I’ve noticed another one somewhere on Memorial Drive but I can’t remember where exactly.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:59 AM

Concentrix is planning to lay off 318 employees.

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2019/03...ter-employees/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina