Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 03:55 PM

54 posts, read 75,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimera19 View Post
Greenville never supported the Kinston Indians so I don't know how the city would support a team in their own town. It is totally ECU Pirates and sponsors are not going to support an MiLB in town because they want all their money to go back to the university. I worked for the K-Tribe and was never successful in getting anyone other than Minges to support us and they only did because we bought our sodas through them. We contacted a ton of businesses in Greenville for several years and they always said money went to ECU as far as their marketing budget. It would be great to get a team in Greenville, but I just don't see how it could be supported. And putting it down by Town Commons where it floods, not a good idea. And you need lots of parking. I just don't think it will work. Plus the Mudcats have the rights to baseball in the Greenville area and would have to sign off for another team to come and play professional baseball in that area. I have worked in minor league baseball for 16 years so I do know a lot about it.

Dont think there would be room near the town common would there? IMO one of the summer college leagues like the coastal plains league would be beneficial to start off with. But then you raise the question on whether to build a new stadium or to use guy smith stadium. The main reason I want to see minor league baseball in greenville is to help in the effort of revitalizing downtown greenville. Itd be nice if they put a stadium in near the old tobacco warehouses(like durham but on a smaller scale). It seems like there is some effort right now by the city and ECU to help improve downtown and a baseball team of some sort down there would help to bring families in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 04:02 PM

To add to my post above I think we have to make greenville more of a destination somehow. Our biggest attraction is ECU and while I love ECU and am a die hard I can see how we need a way to get others who are not pirates to visit greenville. Its tough because unfortunately we are not a vacation destination and it seems people are attracted to bodys of water and areas such as new bern and washington Im sure has more tourists than greenville. I recently visited downtown wilmington and let me tell you that place has it going on. All kinds of bars and entertainment at night, shops and dining, but again its more of a vacation destination. Fortunately it is not my job to figure this out but hopefully we can get some funding and become a smaller version of Raleigh for this part of the state. Really I think we should look at what Athens,GA has done. My aunt lives there and its of similar size but is a really great place to visit.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:08 PM

232 posts, read 475,091 times
I have noticed that the business for the Quarry has really picked up. I think if downtown would have more for young professionals then it would do wonders. There are so many people in the late 20s-late 30s age group in this city. I assume most dont go around that area because it only caters to college students.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIR8tes12 View Post
I have noticed that the business for the Quarry has really picked up. I think if downtown would have more for young professionals then it would do wonders. There are so many people in the late 20s-late 30s age group in this city. I assume most dont go around that area because it only caters to college students.
I agree and you would think itd be the place to be as a young graduate or a little bit older. Has anyone noticed there are really no condos or anything to live in downtown? I was actually wanting to stay close to ECU and downtown after I graduate but other than 1st street place there are not many options. Nathaniel village are projects right?

Old 07-18-2012, 08:30 PM

232 posts, read 475,091 times
yeah i think they are government assisted living. I have a few friends that stay in the building above the wing place. somewhere on 3rd would be a good location for a new complex. just far enough away from the bar music. more businesses downtown would create a bigger demand for close housing.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:56 AM

36 posts, read 63,364 times
Before anyone would move downtown, they have to get it cleaned up and move the thugs further out. I would like to see the mall area developed more...make it more like streets of south point...also see some sort of entertainment pavilion: to include games for kids,putt putt, music, etc...just m wishes for Greenville!

Old 07-19-2012, 11:15 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
To be fair that sort of thing is a guessing game as to where the growth will be in the next 20-30 years along with what's the easiest route to buy up access to. When 540 in Raleigh was first proposed back during the Nixon administration, that was all wilderness out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I am sure the planners are looking far into the future in regards to the placement of the Greenville Beltline. They would probably prefer that the bulk of development be within the beltline. It is only a matter of time before development in Ayden and Winterville join together somewhere along Old NC 11. They are already close together. It is only a little over a mile from the southernmost subdivision in Winterville to the northernmost subdivision in Ayden.
Right, while we still have a mile-ish break from development, the state needs to buy that and wait. There is no reason for a beltline to include Ayden and Simpson. They will flourish just as much on the other side of this fantasy beltway. Cary and Garner are doing great, even though they are not in the beltline. Ya gotta think, if you live on Contry Home Road near Worthington Road, you won't drive south or east to pick up the beltline. You're gonna drive through Winterville.

Having it cut off those two towns will promote growth on both sides.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimera19 View Post
Greenville never supported the Kinston Indians so I don't know how the city would support a team in their own town. It is totally ECU Pirates and sponsors are not going to support an MiLB in town because they want all their money to go back to the university. I worked for the K-Tribe and was never successful in getting anyone other than Minges to support us and they only did because we bought our sodas through them. We contacted a ton of businesses in Greenville for several years and they always said money went to ECU as far as their marketing budget. It would be great to get a team in Greenville, but I just don't see how it could be supported. And putting it down by Town Commons where it floods, not a good idea. And you need lots of parking. I just don't think it will work. Plus the Mudcats have the rights to baseball in the Greenville area and would have to sign off for another team to come and play professional baseball in that area. I have worked in minor league baseball for 16 years so I do know a lot about it.
Of course Greenville didn't support the Indians. Who is going to drive an hour each way to Kinston? No one. If MiLB or summer college ball was in Greenville, a slew of people would support it. Even though Greenville is Pirate Country, there is a significant portion of the population that doesn't give a dime to ECU. But they have money to spend on recreation/entertainment. Baseball would solve that. Plus it would give us something to do in the summer.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:22 AM

There is a meeting tonight to talk about expanding the main runway at PGV. Plans are to lengthen the runway by 500' to accomodate the Bombardier CRJ300 (total length will be 7000').

Old 07-19-2012, 11:47 AM

Repairs to the damaged greenway segment near Fifth Street at the bridge should be completed in about 2 1/2 months, depending on the weather and other factors. FEMA will pay part of the cost to repair or in this case reconstruct the segment. The reconstructed segment will be concrete as opposed to asphalt, which staff believes will be better suited to withstand water damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina