Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 05:41 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitrinite View Post
Does anyone know what they're doing on Frog Level Road? Right about here: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.57...mnEsXwgAS_goBw
They're putting pipes in and have flattened the ground. Didn't know if they were just replacing the power lines or what.
There's a big out of state construction crew set up at the corner of Speight Seed Farm Rd and old Farmville highway. Maybe that's related? They've been laying pipe down that road too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 08:04 PM

155 posts, read 235,187 times
Default Vidant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Ah, I see...the Cancer Center will look just like the Heart Institute. It all makes sense now...until they get it built & then I'll be all confused on what is what...that place is like a maze.

Too bad they couldn't add a parking deck with this building. Parking is terrible. I went out there 2 weeks ago at lunch & drove around I swear 15 minutes before I could find a spot after someone left...& the spot was in California I believe or it felt like it. What do they do with all the money they bring in from parking?
I've worked there for years JPirate. Parking has always been bad. And it is a maze, but I can tell you that we're no worse than other large medical centers. The cost to build a parking deck about 5 years ago was $20k per space vs. $2k per space on the ground. But that will only go so long - they've run out of room. The other thing is, Vidant doesn't run the parking - they contract that out so while some of the $$ may come back to Vidant, I would be willing to be it's not a lot. Certainly not a $18,000 difference per parking space.

It's just so dang expensive to build a deck. But they're going to have to do something.

To be honest with you I wasn't even aware of the proposal for the new cancer center. Looks nice though. Right now Leo Jenkins Cancer Services is a "joint venture" between Vidant and ECU SOM. I wonder how funding is planned for this. Would likely have to be a split in my mind. But don't know.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:10 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
I've worked there for years JPirate. Parking has always been bad. And it is a maze, but I can tell you that we're no worse than other large medical centers. The cost to build a parking deck about 5 years ago was $20k per space vs. $2k per space on the ground. But that will only go so long - they've run out of room. The other thing is, Vidant doesn't run the parking - they contract that out so while some of the $$ may come back to Vidant, I would be willing to be it's not a lot. Certainly not a $18,000 difference per parking space.

It's just so dang expensive to build a deck. But they're going to have to do something.

To be honest with you I wasn't even aware of the proposal for the new cancer center. Looks nice though. Right now Leo Jenkins Cancer Services is a "joint venture" between Vidant and ECU SOM. I wonder how funding is planned for this. Would likely have to be a split in my mind. But don't know.
From what I've read, its strictly Vidant paying for this. With ECHI, Vidant paid for the inpatient tower, and ECU/State paid for the outpatient building. As of now, there won't be an outpatient cancer building like with ECHI.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:37 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
Quote:
Vidant doesn't run the parking - they contract that out so while some of the $$ may come back to Vidant, I would be willing to be it's not a lot. Certainly not a $18,000 difference per parking space.
Wow, I had no idea they contracted it out. I really fail to see how hard it would be for them to run the parking in house & keep the funds themselves in full. It can't be that hard to manage.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:26 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
As I posted earlier...
Is that at Boise State?

Old 07-02-2014, 09:12 PM

155 posts, read 235,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Wow, I had no idea they contracted it out. I really fail to see how hard it would be for them to run the parking in house & keep the funds themselves in full. It can't be that hard to manage.
I completely agree JP and have never understood it. They farmed it out probably 20 years ago. Unless they've taken it back and I'm not aware of it, it still operates that way. Of course I remember when the parking was free!

Old 07-07-2014, 05:15 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
ECU Receives $156 Million For Campus Improvements

Old 07-07-2014, 05:51 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
That's excellent for a school that someone recently said was on the decline.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:39 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
I am not understanding something. I thought both Student Unions are apart of the Non-Appropriated Capital Improvements Projects Plan. Which means the students, through debt service, pay for those projects.

If that is correct (which I believe it is), Patty is just giving ECU a larger debt limit, not actual appropriations.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:12 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I am not understanding something. I thought both Student Unions are apart of the Non-Appropriated Capital Improvements Projects Plan. Which means the students, through debt service, pay for those projects.

If that is correct (which I believe it is), Patty is just giving ECU a larger debt limit, not actual appropriations.
WITN left out a large detail that is in the bill.

"the financing of these projects with funds available to the institutions from gifts, grants, receipts, self-liquidating indebtedness, Medicare reimbursements for education costs, hospital receipts from patient care, or other funds, or any combination of these funds,"

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2013/B...DF/H1182v2.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina