Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2016, 08:21 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,731 times

Advertisements

ECU turning house into office.

ECU will use home for office space; future uncertain for others - Daily Reflector

Quote:
Thursday, December 22, 2016

A historic home on Fifth Street will be utilized for office space and spared from demolition now that a rezoning request from East Carolina University has been approved.

On Tuesday, the city’s Planning and Zoning Commission unanimously approved the request from ECU to rezone the property at 601 E. Fifth St. from residential-single family to office-residential.

The house is one of five in Greenville’s College View Historic District purchased by ECU, which planned to demolish them as part of an expansion project at the chancellor’s residence at 603 E. Fifth St.

During the June 28 meeting of the city’s Historic Preservation Commission, the university submitted certificate of appropriateness applications to tear down the homes within a year unless interested parties were willing to relocate them.
The commission grants certificates to approve exterior work done on buildings within a city’s historic district, including windows, doors, paint colors, materials, rooflines, gutters, fences and yards. COAs also must be issued if a home within a historical district is moved or demolished.

ECU has owned the property at 601 E. Fifth St., the Proctor-Yongue House, since 2007. The university requested rezoning of the property several years ago to use as an office building.

However, the request was denied because the city had rezoned most of the College View Historic District to residential-single family only. The university then considered using the property as part of the expansion project at the chancellor’s residence.

“Honestly, we don’t need a house,” Scott Buck, ECU’s associate vice chancellor of business services, said at Tuesday’s meeting. “But we are desperate for office space.”

Historic Preservation Commission Chairman Jeremy Jordan during the meeting in June asked Buck if the university would consider leaving the Proctor-Yongue House at its current location if it could be rezoned.

“We are certainly willing to try,” Buck said in June. “ECU is part of this community and we want to maintain as much of its history as possible.”

Last month, ECU withdrew its certificate of appropriateness application for the property and submitted the rezoning request to the Planning and Zoning Commission.

Jordan spoke in favor of rezoning the property during Tuesday’s meeting.

“We are in support of this request,” Jordan said. “This will maintain the visual integrity of Fifth Street which we feel is important.”

Buck said the university is planning to make a “significant investment” into restoring the exterior of the house to comply with the city’s historic preservation policy as well as converting the interior of the building for office use.

“ECU also will maintain that property like the university keeps up all of its property,” Buck said. “We will make it something the city can be proud of.”

Buck said ECU also is working with the State Historic Preservation Office to find parties interested in having the other four homes relocated to prevent them from being demolished.

“We still have a ways to go with that,” Buck said. “I don’t know what we can do, but ECU is certainly willing to do what we can to save any of those houses if we can.”

Contact Shannon Keith at skeith@reflector.com and 329-9575.

WANT A HOUSE?

A rezoning granted on Tuesday will allow East Carolin University to utilize a home at 601 E. Fifth St. as office space. It plans to demolish for neighboring homes to make way for an expansion of the chancellor’s residence unless interested parties work with the university to relocated them. The properties are:

• 409 Summit St., a two-and-a-half story, 2,516 square-foot house built in 1913.
• 404 S. Jarvis St., a one-story, 1,544 square-foot house built in 1935.
• 405 S. Summit St., a two-story, 2,240 square-foot house built in 1923.
• 407 S. Summit St., a two-story, 2,169-square-foot house built in 1940
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 08:01 PM

155 posts, read 235,326 times
Anyone know what new construction is based in the mobile construction offices set up in the 10th Street Walmart parking lot?

Old 12-22-2016, 08:56 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,617 times
Uptown Greenville Theater sold to become live music venue

Old 12-23-2016, 07:02 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post

Great news! It's feels like they've been working on that theater forever! 2018 and 2019 are going to be some really big years for Greenville!

-----------

I know it's been a bit slow lately, so I just want to take the time to wish everyone that frequents this thread and the coastal board a happy and safe holidays! Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Boxing Day, all, or none, we all share a bond together with this area for one reason or another. I look forward to discussing the future developments of this area with you all in 2017 and beyond!!

Old 12-23-2016, 08:07 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Great news! It's feels like they've been working on that theater forever! 2018 and 2019 are going to be some really big years for Greenville!

-----------

I know it's been a bit slow lately, so I just want to take the time to wish everyone that frequents this thread and the coastal board a happy and safe holidays! Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Boxing Day, all, or none, we all share a bond together with this area for one reason or another. I look forward to discussing the future developments of this area with you all in 2017 and beyond!!
This is the best thread by far. It brought me to this website and it's kept me here, even though I'm not in Greenville as much as I used to be. Who thought there would be other Greenville Development nerds out there too, haha.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:41 AM

112 posts, read 136,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
I'm not gonna lie, I am pretty bummed about the time line. I feel like the past 3 articles about this place have been copy & paste from the previous article, the only difference being that they're tacking on another year before it opens. At first it was Spring 2017, then Fall 2017 and now it is Spring 2018.

On a positive note, the 10 St Connector seems to be making steady progress. They've made their way across the bridge and have begun shaping the road surface heading towards Evans St.

Uptown Brewing Co. will more than likely open in about 2 weeks.

Retail spaces are starting to fill up at The Boundary. The last time I walked past The Boundary Provision Cafe was open, there was a permit for Smoothie King next door and now there appears to be another permit next to SK.

The vacant building on Pitt St. was demolished and they've been clearing land for the GTAC.

I imagine it's only a matter of time before the City Lot behind the Fire/Police headquarters is demolished and work begins there on the other apartment complex that is planned.

Has anyone heard and update on the Dickinson Sidewalk project? It was slated for Fall 2016 originally.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:37 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,617 times
North Greenville market hopes to have impact - Daily Reflector

Old 12-24-2016, 07:15 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,829,335 times
Retail effort focuses on north Pitt, downtown - Daily Reflector

Old 12-25-2016, 06:37 AM

247 posts, read 445,650 times
Campus Cookies closed it's doors.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:32 AM

277 posts, read 436,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollabackmjjd View Post
Campus Cookies closed it's doors.

Who would've thought that a business that exclusively sells things that you can easily make at home for 5-6x cheaper would shut down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina