Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2015, 09:08 PM

155 posts, read 235,204 times

Advertisements

The mall is doing fair. Honestly, I never go there anymore except maybe to Belk or Penney's. Why - I don't know. I lost interest in malls a while back. However I do still like the large malls like Southpoint and Crabtree. Thing is, I buy most stuff online now so don't have a huge need. I still think they overprice the mall rental space. And I still don't get why Greenville doesn't merit a larger mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 04:46 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
And I still don't get why Greenville doesn't merit a larger mall.
There are no new indoor malls under construction, or being planned, anywhere in the United States, with the exception of that monstrosity at the Meadowlands in NJ. That mall was started over a decade ago and still isn't finished.

Strip malls and stand alone stores are all the rage right now. Greenville has 2 new commercial developments at this time. One is completed and that is the new Walmart shopping center. The other is the 11 Galleria which has a long way to go.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:26 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
I still think they overprice the mall rental space.
It was the same way at the Wilson Mall. The guy that ran the Carolina Outfitters store and another store owner there told me about it. It's true that Heritage Crossing shopping center near I-95 put a hurting on their mall, but it was also horribly mismanaged once Hull Storey Gibson bought it in the 2000's. Oddly enough, HSG took over the Danville Mall near me and it's being ran in the ground too. It's a ghost town. I agree with you that Greenville Mall could and should be the "Mall of the East" but like Richard Martin said, strip malls and outdoor buildings seem to be the rage now. It's just a matter of whether it would be worth the investment to expand the mall bigger than it already is and right now it would be pretty risky.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:55 PM

155 posts, read 235,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
There are no new indoor malls under construction, or being planned, anywhere in the United States, with the exception of that monstrosity at the Meadowlands in NJ. That mall was started over a decade ago and still isn't finished.

Strip malls and stand alone stores are all the rage right now. Greenville has 2 new commercial developments at this time. One is completed and that is the new Walmart shopping center. The other is the 11 Galleria which has a long way to go.
You're right - I know new malls aren't being built. But even 10 years ago...heck, ever since I moved to Greenville I've tried to figure out why our mall was so small. But I'm much more willing to do cluster shopping at places like the Kohl's/Dicks area than going to a mall too.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:48 PM

89 posts, read 130,654 times
Construction on the what I am assuming is the Red Robin next to Texas Roadhouse has begun. Ground has already been broken and they're working on clearing the ground.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:10 PM

16 posts, read 25,655 times
Noticed today that the corner of fire tower and old tar/evans where the car dealership was has a new sign that said "spades" not sure if it is a new car dealership or not as it was dark and I couldn't see what was written below it

Old 10-19-2015, 06:35 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paj0922 View Post
Noticed today that the corner of fire tower and old tar/evans where the car dealership was has a new sign that said "spades" not sure if it is a new car dealership or not as it was dark and I couldn't see what was written below it
South Pitt Autos - Detailing - Exotic Sales

I haven't seen any activity there since the sign went up.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:41 PM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
DAP House is finally open:
The Daily Reflector

Quote:
Dickinson Avenue Public House scrambles the modern and the historic into a Southern eatery that's both trendy and traditional.

Two local couples - Christy's Euro Pub owners Tandi Mahn and Jacob Wilson and their neighbors and business partners Kristi Southern and Brad Hufford - worked nearly two years to create DAP House, as it's already being called.

A creative kitchen team led by Wilson, who also overseees the kitchen at Christy's, plans to change the menu frequently, but the restaurant's initial offerings provide a taste of what DAP House is all about.

"Snacks" include jalapeno deviled eggs with candied bacon; fried okra with Tabasco ranch; and N.C. lump blue crab and corn fritters with remoulade.

Among the "shared"' plates is Spicy Smoked Duck Poutine with Ashe County cheese curds, Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout gravy and beef fat fries.

There's a salad with persimmons and asparagus dressed with a honey balsamic vinaigrette.

Entrees include a rustic vegetarian sweet potato and portabella mushroom pot pie with sweet potato biscuit crust; a Bayou Bowl with locally raised pan-fried catfish and Creole gravy with shrimp, lump crab and crawfish over steamed rice; and Pig and Grits, braised Heritage Farm pork shoulder with collards, heirloom grits, gravy and Sea Island pea and corn salad.

To top it all off, there's Whisky Banana Pudding.

General manager Kinnley Perkins, a graduate of the East Carolina University's School of Hospitality Management, also runs the DAP House bar. She says they make simple syrup and squeeze fresh juices for specialty cocktails like the Dickinson Collins, Beefy Peach and Louisiana Hayride. The nine taps will focus on North Carolina beers.

DAP House is located in an early 1920s brick building on what once was a bustling street between the railroad station, the tobacco district and downtown Greenville.

When workmen renovating the building began scraping the plaster off an interior wall, they uncovered painted advertising signs that now are a focal point of the dining room.

"It was a surprise," said owner and history buff Hufford. "We were planning for the kitchen to go against that wall, but the architect changed his plans. We really fell in love with it. It's a unique part of Greenville's history that you can see and touch."

The signs were painted on the exterior of a two-story Dickinson Avenue building built in 1917 that housed The Big Store, which sold "carpets, rugs, stoves and ranges," according to the sign on the wall. There's also painted ads for eastern North Carolina's Pepsi-Cola as well as Satanet, another soft drink popular in the 'teens and '20s, Hufford said.

In 1923, the one-story building where DAP House is located was built adjacent to the existing building.

"The signs were covered in plaster for 80-some years," Hufford said. "That's why they are still so bright."

Finding the signs on the wall, Hufford's wife Southern said, "was a pleasant surprise. The rest of the space evolved around it. It's been a fluid project, and we just rolled with the punches."

The restaurant has large plate-glass windows looking out onto Dickinson Avenue, a painted concrete floor, a lounge area near the wood bar, simple tables and chairs, dangling industrial-style lights and two large community tables. A small stage remains from when the building housed Ann's Remember When antiques store.

There is parking on the street and in a paved lot behind the restaurant.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:27 PM

36 posts, read 63,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millina View Post
haven't been on here in a year, what are they building across the st from ruby Tuesdays?
Hobby Lobby is the main tenant so far-other stores being built but not sure who else is going in right now

Old 10-21-2015, 08:37 PM

13 posts, read 19,174 times
Insomnia Cookies has opened at 116 E. 5th street. I have never heard of it before but there are locations in Raleigh. I checked out their Facebook page and their cookies look delicious and they deliver until 3am. It will be interesting to see how this works out being that Campus Cookies is right down the street.

Also, I read in The East Carolinian today that the Michaelangelo's location downtown on E. 5th street has closed and that there will another pizza parlor taking its place. The name of the new pizza place was not mentioned in the article. Anyone have any idea who the new tenant will be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina