Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 07:08 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Yeah, but the actual roadway is not there yet...
The physical road is not there yet, but the map is a reflection of the ownership of the property...it shows what the state owns in relation to the private lots.

Those lots that have been bought are all one Right of Way now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 10:31 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Input sought for Dickinson Avenue

The North Carolina Department of Transportation is inviting people to hear about and give input on proposed improvements to Dickinson Avenue.

The meeting will be held today from 4-7 p.m. at Sheppard Memorial Library, 530 Evans St. An earlier meeting was rescheduled due to expected hazardous winter weather conditions.

Improvements from Memorial Drive to Reade Circle are intended to revitalize Greenville's former tobacco district.

City Engineer Scott Godefroy said the meeting will feature display boards from a NCDOT project consultant. The display will reflect the general layout of the road, and some sections will show how Dickinson might be configured in the future.

Godefroy said a number of improvements and changes will be illustrated.

"Things like striping and whether they want to continue having a center turn lane throughout, on-street parking or put in bike lanes," he said. "It's just to show the look and feel of what we're trying to do with the streetscape work."

Godefroy said the meeting likely will combine discussion of the technical aspects for replacing the road and streetscaping, and the project's connection with the 10th Street Connector.

"This meeting is to give the public some idea of what we're trying to do as far as betterments for the road," Godefroy said. "The base part of this project is essentially reconstructing this road to modernize it and bring it up to standard because it's in such bad shape."

Part of the project also will take into account the streetscape master plan approved by Greenville's City Council.

The project looks to extend downtown, much like the previous work on West Fifth Street, Godefroy said.

"Other features we may incorporate are crossings and that sort of thing," he said. "But this is not intended to leave the rest of the corridor alone, we will be redoing the sidewalks and probably including some areas where we can put trees in, lighting, too, it just depends."

Godefroy said the city and NCDOT are looking at ways to make the roadway better and to make the corridor look more attractive.

No firm numbers have been released regarding potential costs for the project, Godefroy said, as planning still is in preliminary stages.

Greenville held a similar public meeting in December, attracting about 40 people to discuss the Dickinson Avenue Market and Planning Study.

From lighting and traffic safety to education and arts and entertainment, participants in the workshop had different ideas for improving the area.

In an area that includes the 10th Street Connector, a new federal courthouse, Town Creek Culvert, Greenville Transportation and Activity Center, the former Imperial Tobacco warehouse, two National Register Historic Districts and East Carolina University's Warehouse District, city staff and leaders think a strategic vision will help the community to maximize economic development opportunities while preserving and capitalizing on Greenville's unique character.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:36 AM

Editorial: Theater project right

The collaboration between the city and Uptown Greenville to gauge public interest in bringing a historic downtown theater back into service is an example of public money well spent. The project to preserve the long-vacant entertainment venue will not be cheap, but done right it will more than pay for itself as an integral part of a successful revitalization plan.

As reported in Tuesday’s Daily Reflector, the survey, with 1,420 respondents, indicates general support for a potential performance venue downtown. More than 85 percent indicated that the money they spend on entertainment events and related restaurant and bar patronage could also be spent in downtown Greenville with an entertainment venue there.

It might be easy to view the survey results as an obvious “if we build it, they will come,” conclusion, but that would be an oversimplification. The survey does a good job of looking at public perception of the theater project from various angles, including how the cost might best be shared between possible public and private partnerships.

Unlike several far more expensive consulting fees the city has recently paid to outside firms, the $5,742 cost of this survey paid to East Carolina University represents a wise investment utilizing local resources.

Greenville’s Redevelopment Commission already has a sizeable investment in the Uptown Theater project, having purchased the building in 2008 for more than $280,000, using general obligation bond funds designated for downtown redevelopment. The public survey demonstrates due diligence toward making sure the investment pays off.

The effort to breathe new life into the Uptown Theater building — previously known as White’s Theater and both the State and Park theaters — in fact represents a portion of record investment in Greenville’s downtown. Uptown Greenville’s mid-year report last month detailed progress in the first half of the fiscal year from July to December.

The report noted that in July, the downtown area celebrated about 43,000 gross square feet of “new and adaptive reuse office/retail projects,” the approval of a parking deck and 300,000 gross square feet of new residential development.

Totaling about $44 million, the developments represent the largest investment net gain in the downtown area’s history.

With ECU’s Wright Auditorium and several community arts programs in place, Greenville certainly does not lack for cultural arts. Placing a venue for stage arts and entertainment downtown is the right thing to do, and now is the right time to do it.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:58 AM

Metrics expands with fast-track product development laboratory

Metrics Inc. is making significant investments in its facilities and equipment for the benefit of contract services clients by opening a new laboratory to better support fast-track development of pharmaceutical products.

Also in its Greenville facility, the company is adding to its equipment portfolio a Gerteis Mini-Pactor, a high-pressure-precise roller compactor that provides Metrics’ formulation development scientists even greater flexibility in batch sizes and throughput.

Fast-track lab

The fast-track development laboratory and Gerteis Mini-Pactor represent continuing investment efforts at Metrics to support the changing needs of its contract services clients, said Stefan Cross, president of Mayne Pharma USA, the parent company of Metrics.

The new $1.6 million, 4,524-square-foot lab provides maximum flexibility for early formulation and analytical method development.

The facility is designed for pre-clinical development of early formulation prototypes and related analytical methods. In this laboratory setting, formulators and chemists will have significant autonomy to conduct development activities more quickly, according to Dr. Brad Gold, vice president of pharmaceutical development.

Segregated from the main Metrics operations and containing fully dedicated equipment, these new processing suites have independent HVAC systems and state-of-the-art engineering controls such as interlocking airlock doors, room air pressure differentials, high-volume room air turnover, and 100-percent HEPA air filtration.

“These suites offer our scientists tremendous flexibility, which will support the fast-track development of drug products,” Gold said. “Prototype formulations and methods developed in this lab will be transferred to the adjacent facility for further development and manufacture of clinical trial materials and registration batches. There, they will be manufactured under the exacting auspices of current good manufacturing practice so that Metrics will continue to deliver proven scientific and operational excellence in oral solid dosage forms.”

The ground floor of the new facility consists of five processing rooms and one analytical laboratory. The second floor consists of workstations, office space and a conference room. This project increases to 16 the number of processing rooms, which are in addition to the extensive analytical laboratories and large-scale manufacturing and packaging operations that Metrics has available.

Gerteis Mini-Pactor

Housed within Metrics’ main facility, the company’s new Gerteis Mini-Pactor has capacity ranging from 10 grams for pilot projects to 100 kilograms per hour for small-scale production, making it especially useful in a formulation development laboratory setting, Gold said.

“While big pharma companies may already be familiar with this particular roller compactor, Metrics can be considered an early adopter among pharmaceutical contract development and manufacturing organizations,” he said. “This equipment investment reflects Metrics’ ongoing commitment to operational excellence and to conducting science that is most meaningful to our clients and the patients we collectively serve.”

Metrics Inc. is a full-service global pharmaceutical development and manufacturing organization serving clients worldwide. The company’s areas of expertise include quality pharmaceutical formulation development; first-time-in-man (FTIM) formulations; clinical trial materials (CTM) manufacturing for Phase I, II and III trials; and analytical method development and validation services leading to commercial scale manufacturing.

Metrics’ capabilities include highly potent, cytotoxic and unstable compounds, Schedule II-V controlled substances, and products with poor bioequivalence.

Metrics operates as a subsidiary of Mayne Pharma Group Limited.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:31 AM

145 posts, read 266,735 times
Wow. This is the first i've heard of Metrics before. I had no idea this was in Greenville. I just looked at some of the companies around there and that area sure is starting to become a nice little industrial park. This is the kind of stuff that needs to keep coming to Greenville. If companies like this continue to come then we may be able to bring in different kinds of industries such as technology and more manufacturing.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:33 AM

145 posts, read 266,735 times
Mayor Thomas posted on his Facebook about a very important meeting he recently went to that included many important leaders in the state. Here is what he posted.

"Mayors of the 20 largest cities, the Metro Mayors organization--- convened to collaborate on issues facing the state and our communities. Greenville is the 9th largest city in North Carolina. Very important group with clout in dealing with state leadership.

Speakers Friday were --- Governor Pat McCrory, NC House leadership members as well as the CEO of MET Life which relocated their company from NY to NC this year.

Topics were --- funding, education, roads, legislative action, economic development, our ports & competitiveness as a business climate with other states. Some very, very candid exchanges between state and city leaders on the direction of this state."

Old 03-05-2014, 05:02 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,105,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
Wow. This is the first i've heard of Metrics before. I had no idea this was in Greenville. I just looked at some of the companies around there and that area sure is starting to become a nice little industrial park. This is the kind of stuff that needs to keep coming to Greenville. If companies like this continue to come then we may be able to bring in different kinds of industries such as technology and more manufacturing.
Greenville has always had a decent manufacturing base. It's thought of as only a college and medical town, but there is plenty of manufacturing here too. There are plenty of other towns in Eastern Carolina that would kill to have Greenville's manufacturing.

The Dollar Store on NC 43 south just outside of Greenville is coming along nicely. They have also broken ground on another building next to it at the corner of NC 43 and Signature Dr. Maybe that one will be the much rumored and long awaited Cookout!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:28 AM

893 posts, read 1,344,049 times
Whatever happened to the rumor of Chick Fil A & Applebees coming out by the new Wal Mart on 33? They prepared the land across the street & now it's sitting with a sign on it.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:09 AM

192 posts, read 281,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Whatever happened to the rumor of Chick Fil A & Applebees coming out by the new Wal Mart on 33? They prepared the land across the street & now it's sitting with a sign on it.
I'm pretty sure that was just a rumor. Although it's likely we'll see more places like that popping up in that area there's nothing in the works for them now. The three lots available on the Portertown side are side up for sale or build out and the empty lot next to McDonalds that was going to be a BB&T Bank, by my understanding, is still owned by BB&T but they just downsized and decided not to build there for now. The only thing I've heard that is going to be moving towards that area is Champions gym from Winterville is supposed to be opening another location right next to the strip mall but nothing for sure. I'll post if I see anything going up.

At this point I don't think the development in this area will start to slow down for a bit. But we'll see.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:36 PM

353 posts, read 458,667 times
Good to hear that Greenville is getting a brewery. They really need more options for craft beer. Every time I go to Greenville I have to bring beer with me from out of town because I can never find what I'm looking for. Craft beer is a huge market that is exploding in popularity. As it is, Winslow's, the Bell's Fork Harris Teeter and Lowes Foods are really the only options if you want something local or something other than Bud/Miller/Coors etc. Even those places are pretty lacking compared to most of the beer & wine stores we have out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Like an East Carolina Beer Collective. There are nine breweries in Eastern NC. Have a "Winslows" type place sell only? (or majority) of their beers.

The nine are:
  • Beer Army, Trenton, NC
  • Front Street Brewery, Wilmington, NC
  • Full Moon Cafe & Brewery, Manteo, NC
  • Huske Hardware House Restaurant & Brewery, Fayetteville, NC
  • Mother Earth Brewing Company, Kinston, NC
  • Outer Banks Brewing Station, Kill Devil Hills, NC
  • The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery, Farmville, NC
  • The Mash House Brewery and Chophouse Restaurant, Fayetteville, NC
  • Weeping Radish Farm Brewery, Grandy, NC
Brewery Map | North Carolina Craft Brewers Guild

Or add in the 16 wineries in the east, as well.
Vineyards & Wineries in North Carolina | NC Wineries & Vineyards

Might as well add the three distilleries in ENC to the list as well.
http://reports.abc.nc.gov/uploads/re...e94011a13e.pdf

Could be a fun concept. Bring in local agriculture and meat as well, etc etc etc.
I would love to see a store in Greenville like Triangle Wine that we have here in Morrisville. They sell craft beer and fine wine, have weekly wine tastings and a bar in the back with 20 rotating beers on tap. I think the only two breweries on that list that actually bottle their beer are Duck-Rabbit and Mother Earth. The rest only seem to do kegs/growlers, so I think if a store were to open they would have to expand their selection just past the local stuff, or make it more of like a restaurant or market like you described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Would the city or anyone ever make a "play" to relocate Duck Rabbit (in Farmville) or Mother Earth Brewing (in Kinston) to Greenville? I would love to see Longleaf thrive along with these other two.
I've been to the Duck-Rabbit brewery several times and I get the impression that they like being out of the way and having a small operation. I would love to see them in Greenville though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina