Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 10:03 AM

192 posts, read 281,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
So I'm not lashing out at you about loans, just venting in general because I hear so much about it. I don't disagree that loans may be easy to get but I don't think we can lay the blame on the government for that one. They're trying to make an education attainable - and people scream and yell if they don't make these loans available. The problem is kids/parents are buying into this is not doing their homework regarding ability to repay the loan. Don't take the loan if you're not going to be able to repay it. And don't complain about the repayment after the fact. I don't think they're getting snookered - they just aren't responsibly researching what this entails.

When I went to college, I didn't have the money to pay for it and I didn't want to take out a loan. So I worked - on average of about 35 hours a week to pay for my college while taking 15-18 hours a semester for a Computer Science major/Math minor. I lived at home (another choice kids should consider if academics are truly their goal) and frankly, also helped my folks out with bills because my Dad went through a period with no job. I also received no financial aid. So it's doable. Yeah - maybe you don't get the full college experience of partying and all the social life, but I still enjoyed college life. I'm not saying this to tout myself I'm saying everyone has to be accountable for their decisions. And there are certainly alternatives which provide you a great education - including community college, which doesn't break the bank.

On that subject - I heard several months back...thought it was on this board, that there was a general expectation that ECU enrollment would likely hold or drop slightly because more students were being cost-conscious and choosing community colleges first. I still think ECU enrollment will tick back up for a lot of the reasons already mentioned here though.
I don't entirely disagree. It's not wholly the government's fault just like it's not entirely the bank's fault that people couldn't pay back their mortgage even though the mortgages were largely predatory. My point was just to highlight the potential downfall of this situation on the school and thus the surrounding community if they assume the enrollment is going to continue to increase just people assume that the value of land would continue to increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 10:14 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times
State Theater has finally opened.

Better late than never

Old 01-28-2019, 11:42 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
State Theater has finally opened.

Better late than never
They will be doing more improvements, including a new front of the building/doors, etc...during the week when shows aren't playing.

Every construction project is taking longer these days.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:42 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
City Council planning session discusses becoming a

Hopefully this includes changing the motto also.. “Find yourself in good company” isn’t exactly catchy. This recent flurry of articles has been great to read and as ideas are implemented, it will be great for our citizens.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:43 AM

455 posts, read 527,863 times
Good Company isn't that old is it? I don't mind it. How much does a tag line matter for a city? Does Raleigh have one or Durham? If they do I couldn't tell you. I am just wondering if it is our marketing approach vs the tag line that matters.... However, having said that, I think there is a case to be made for a unifying logo/tag line for the "spirit" of the city. If we can find something the community truly rallies around then marketing that would be much more effective.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:58 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Good Company isn't that old is it? I don't mind it. How much does a tag line matter for a city? Does Raleigh have one or Durham? If they do I couldn't tell you. I am just wondering if it is our marketing approach vs the tag line that matters.... However, having said that, I think there is a case to be made for a unifying logo/tag line for the "spirit" of the city. If we can find something the community truly rallies around then marketing that would be much more effective.
I did a quick search of Raleigh and Durham City Government websites and found no sort of tagline. I didn't even think of taking it away all together, but I find myself drawn to such an idea. I'd much prefer Greenville-Pitt County Convention and Visitors Bureau, which also needs a name shortening itself, to host a contest for creating a hashtag for our area. I can see young people rallying around a hashtag and prospective students (which have been the theme of these past few pages) being able to see the goings of not only college life but also the goings of our city.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:47 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times
Grifton ABC location closing in March - Daily Reflector

Old 01-30-2019, 05:08 PM

144 posts, read 189,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
I did a quick search of Raleigh and Durham City Government websites and found no sort of tagline. I didn't even think of taking it away all together, but I find myself drawn to such an idea. I'd much prefer Greenville-Pitt County Convention and Visitors Bureau, which also needs a name shortening itself, to host a contest for creating a hashtag for our area. I can see young people rallying around a hashtag and prospective students (which have been the theme of these past few pages) being able to see the goings of not only college life but also the goings of our city.
There has been a slogan floating around Durham the last few years or maybe it was just a marketing campaign for a downtown concert series of the same name which was/is "Find Your Cool in Durham". This slogan is similar to Austin, Texas' "Keep Austin Weird" branding. Both slogans are meant to attract what Richard Florida called the "creative class" which are the people all up and coming places want to attract. I like these kinds of slogans as long as they fit the place and make sense, or should I say authentic, because they are the ones that are actually effective.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:37 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
The houses at Forbes and 9th St were being torn down today to make way for the ECU Life Science & Biotech Building

Old 01-31-2019, 06:37 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,898 times
Cycle North Carolina announced their 2019 "Mountains to Coast Ride" route last night and we are excited to officially announce Greenville will be their 6th overnight stop on October 3rd! We look forward to welcoming over 1,500 cyclists and supporters to the Emerald City this fall!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTYk...5-KtvXiUOr6CjI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina