Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 07:13 AM

3 posts, read 5,515 times

Advertisements

I just moved from NY State to Wilmington.As for cost of living.I was paying close to $2000.00 a month for a one bedroom/with small loft in the suburbs of NY. It was a well known apt. company that has "luxury"units thoughout the U.S.I had old appliances,popcorn wall treatments. Down here I have 2 bedrooms/2 baths in a beautiful unit with high grade appliances for under$800.00 a month.So,its all relative to where you come from. As for downtown Wilmington.ANY beach resort town during the summer will be crazy.Now that the fall is here,downtown is quiet with pretty much locals.As for the word "Filthy" ...go to anywhere in the Ny tri-state area.In my own county where I lived for 59 years the Hassidic population had bought up everything and the place had become a toilet. Litter,garbage,filth on every street. Down here I find the roads clean,grass mowed and the beaches are spotless.Go to the jersey Shore and step over cig butts,plastic cups,dog poop.Yes...it is disturbing that there is alot of gang activity down here.But if you stay in the nice areas you are unaware of it. This is true of any urban area.You look for trouble you find it.As for us "Yanks". It is the influx of new money that is paying for better roads,new schools,improved infrastructure.However...I moved down here to blend in.To get to know the locals.I find people here are kind and helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,821 times
Default charlotte to wilmimngton

i currently live in charlotte and i have lived in wilmington. i have a job offer in wilmington and i am weighing my options as well. the cost of living, crime and schools are comparable to charlotte. it's all about finding to right neighborhood just as in charlotte. wilmington has great subculture. the beach, riverfront and art. it's also more laid back than charlotte. however there isn't much to offer outside of wilmington. charlotte has great surrounding areas such as huntersville and matthews. leland is the best place to live in the outskirts of wilmington.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,769 times
When I first moved here I couldn't get my child into the public school because the classrooms were full so I put my child in St. Mary's Catholic School. After St. Mary's --graduated from Ashley High School which is a fairly new school being built and completed in 2001. Later --graduated from UNCW with a business degree. It is a fine college, and the price was much better than we saw elsewhere. While in college received job offers and very successful.. Good Luck on your move.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:58 AM

4 posts, read 10,873 times
Wilmington is a beautiful riverfront town with access to many pristine beaches. The weather is good almost all year round and like any city that is expanding, it has its pockets of crime, which can be avoided if you know where they are. 30th St. and Princess Place, most places downtown from Dawson and fifth running until you get to Wrightsville Ave. or going North in the direction of Red Cross. The Rankin Ct. area is also a very bad area, but the rest of the city is a wonderful area with many things to see and do.

The traffic is a little much at 7-8 a.m., 12:00, and 4:00-5:30. Isn't it like that everywhere?

Taxes are my pet peeve. They have gone up, especially property taxes. That was my main decision in moving across the bridge to Leland (Brunswick County)..

Other than a place called Lincoln Place Townhomes off Village Rd., I have heard of no other area that has problems. It is 7-8 minutes to Wilmington and because it is in the older part of Leland (more country) the taxes are lower and life is better. Here you can visit the city but come home to peace and quiet and low taxes.

Wilmington is becoming the jewel of the south with PPD and CRX and other big companies looking in that direction and I am grateful that I am close enough to Hollywood East (what Wilmington is called for making movies like Ironman) to enjoy all of the amenities without having to shoulder the tax cost.

If you love fishing, Kure Pier is the place to go!!!

God bless,
Rose

Old 12-23-2014, 05:38 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,998 times
I was in Wilmington earlier today. There was nonstop traffic everywhere! Not sure what was worse--the slow, elderly drivers or the rude, impatient drivers. I couldn't imagine dealing with that nightmare traffic on a daily basis. I advise anyone moving there to live near their workplace, not across town from it!

Old 12-24-2014, 07:31 AM

353 posts, read 604,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I was in Wilmington earlier today. There was nonstop traffic everywhere! Not sure what was worse--the slow, elderly drivers or the rude, impatient drivers. I couldn't imagine dealing with that nightmare traffic on a daily basis. I advise anyone moving there to live near their workplace, not across town from it!
LOL, it's the holidays. Every yahoo from 30 miles around or more is rushing into Wilmington to do his last minute Christmas shopping (NOBODY TOLD ME IT WAS ALMOST CHRISTMAS!!). Meanwhile, all the out-of-town relatives are descending upon us.

On the other hand, at around 8 AM this morning, I drove to downtown Wilmington from near Wrightsville Beach and saw a total of maybe 30 cars on the streets. This was mostly on Oleander Drive.

Perception. It's all about perception.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:14 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
LOL, it's the holidays. Every yahoo from 30 miles around or more is rushing into Wilmington to do his last minute Christmas shopping (NOBODY TOLD ME IT WAS ALMOST CHRISTMAS!!). Meanwhile, all the out-of-town relatives are descending upon us.

On the other hand, at around 8 AM this morning, I drove to downtown Wilmington from near Wrightsville Beach and saw a total of maybe 30 cars on the streets. This was mostly on Oleander Drive.

Perception. It's all about perception.
I get that it's the holidays. But it's like that EVERY time I'm in Wilmington. Cars are backed up at every intersection. That city suffers from POOR planning. Most NC cities have roads/highways running through them which allow a much better flow of traffic. Wilmington, not so much............

Old 12-25-2014, 09:45 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
I thought Wilmington traffic was outrageous 15 years ago, one reason why we did not go back. Yeah, some will say, "But it is in only a few places." Unfortunately, those are the places everyone, including me, want to go. No planning, no vision, just greed of developers.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,338 times
I moved in January it's almost a year on living in Wilmington after 12 years in i
Charlotte my personal opinion is this small town it's great enough with everything I was reading some post I gong agree with that, I open I business here and on doing well I talked with some policemen there no much crime not Like Charlotte of course this is coastal city you 'll found fishermans, surfers, tourist is that bad? I love fishing I live in a middle class neighborhood close to the ocean houses around 350 to 500 K renting for 1300 monthly nice school area the people around it's nice and quiet clean of course there is retired people living here trying to enjoy their lifes it's that bad? I think is much better because there's no laud or in troublemy kids are so happy to live here nice school community college or uncw if course depend where you want to live there's some areas I would not recommended but any city has some bad areas . The best thing you can do is visit for a week check the areas and make a decision , I was in Charlotte dealing with the traffic, stress etc here all that is gone some traffic issues especially in summer time but there's some roads alternative you can use is not that bad, my son told me this is the best school ever he is 5th grade . I'm trying to buy a house now I d
Hispanic people it's really low than Charlotte most of them are professionals or student of course workers but in minimum amount comparing with other cities. Here it's nice place to enjoy with the family that is why I move here.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:07 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I get that it's the holidays. But it's like that EVERY time I'm in Wilmington. Cars are backed up at every intersection. That city suffers from POOR planning. Most NC cities have roads/highways running through them which allow a much better flow of traffic. Wilmington, not so much............
Wilmington has no worse traffic than any other city of its size. I gather you live in the country and have little experience with cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina